Difference between May and June?

I love going in May. I go every year for my birthday (May 15) and the crowds are soooo low. IMO it's one of the only slow times left. Plus, Flower & Garden is my favorite festival by far. This year I got unlucky and was there when the love bugs were crazy, but they don't bite so they didn't bother me too much (I run & scream from bees so they just got slapped for coming near me).

September may feel the hottest, but the lines are the shortest. So you can get more done in less time. Works best when combined with afternoon pool times. Works poorly when you want to linger in the parks (say afternoon stroll around the EPCOT countries).

Strolling WS in the afternoon any time of year is a terrible idea IMO. Too hot and too little shade, but September would be especially miserable.

How often did you see them? What happened?
As another poster said, they don’t bite or sting. They are just very soft-bodied, so if you try to brush them off...they just smoosh and smear all over you (hurrrl). As the PP said, they’re just gross. And if you walk through a cloud of them, or the cloud comes to you, they may be all in your face, or stuck all to your clothes....or your Dole whip..,or whatever. Just yuck.

And if you drive, they will literally cost the entire front of your car. You’ll need to wash them off once you arrive and then once you get away from them on your drive home. Don’t leave them on there for days; they will destroy the clear coat. Again I say, blech. I’ve been lucky enough to only encounter them once. I wouldn’t avoid any time of year based on them, though—it’s too variable to try to predict when they’ll be heavy.

How often did you see them? What happened?
@summerw: I was there during the first week of May. I’d never gone in May before. The Lovebugs were UNREAL! They don’t sting or bite but they were all over the place. We were at OKW and couldn’t enjoy the pool or pool bar bc the dang bugs kept landing on us, food, towels etc. My sister & niece were at Pop and the bugs got into their room somehow(!) and she requested to be moved. They counted 50 bugs in their room! The weather was nice, the crowds weren’t bad, but those bugs were ANNOYING! My friend who lives in Celebration said they were particularly bad this year🤷🏼‍♀️

Love bug season normally occurs in May and September in Florida, and lasts about 3-4 weeks. The bugs swarm during mating season and will land anywhere and everywhere, coupled together. They seem to be especially attracted to white and yellow colors. They don't sting or bite, they just kind of drift around in these big swarms and make themselves annoying by landing on you. They are smallish bugs and very lightweight and are easily brushed off or squashed. It helps to carry a small fan or handkerchief to brush them away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter