Did you buy into SSR, with the sole intention of always staying at BCV/BWV?

Jillpie

Can you package some Main St. music and send it to
I'm just curious. My sister, who is not on these boards, but is a DVC member, is convinced that that is the case of why it is so hard to get into these resorts a couple of months in advance now. She is very frustrated, after enjoying DVC for 5 years now, and has a hard time going at the last minute like she always enjoyed. I'm not so sure though. I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on this, thanks.

Folks here will tell you--buy where you want to stay. At the very least, buy where you wouldn't mind staying.

Huh? I'm already a BCV member. I don't think you understood my question.

We love SSR and had our 1st 2 stays there. Now we will try the others as we did with the other resorts before DVC.

I admit BCV is going to be hard to beat but we still went to SSR for a visit during our trip in june.

So yes just the amount of new members from SSR will make the small resorts harder to get late.The reason why they purchased it is an entirely different matter.

I understand your question.
Personally I would never have counted on getting any specific resort "at the last minute", especially a small resort like BCV.
The Epcot DVC Resorts will always be in high demand, as that is a popular park. To compound the popularity of BCV, you can throw Stormalong Bay into the mix.
As the DVC membership grows it stands to reason the higher demand, small resorts will be harder to book inside 7 months.

In short, your sister shouldn't be frustrated. I don't mean to sound cold and harsh, but she shouldn't have purchased with the idea of forever making a reservation two months ahead, and always expecting to get her first choice.

Just my opinion... :smokin:

MG

I bought into SSR last October and went on my first DVC trip last month (July) and stayed at SSR. When I bought, I didn't even know about BCV/BWV. While I do hope to stay at those resorts sometime in the future I will always be glad that SSR is my "home." It will have fond memories of my "first trip" and I just like it's size, location, and grounds.

But then again, I'm just happy to get away and stay at any Disney Resort! Get me away from the real world to a place where my only worry is whether or not the bus that just left the station was the one going to the park I wanted to go to.

I think the term "Nature of the Beast" applies here. As DVC continues to grow it's membership, it only makes sense that all these new members will want to try resorts other than their home. That is a big selling feature of DVC, the flexibility to stay at other resorts. I doubt most people purchased SSR with the sole intention of staying at BWV or BCV (although I am sure a few did). But the growing base of membership means more people trying to stay there and less availability for bookings less than 7 months. The rumor crystal ball is showing the possibility of three new DVC resorts opening up within the forseable future (AKV already under construction, CRV and DLV rumored), which will only mean more sales and more members to make it worse. Now more than ever, the advice to buy where you want to stay and call home needs to be followed so you have that 7-11 month booking opportunity for where you want to stay.

If I had the sole intention of staying at BCV/BWV, the I would have bought resale with one of those as my home. We bought SSR after taking the tour--- we really loved it (I was really set on buying resale at VWL until I saw SSR--- my husband really loved that it was on a golf course). That being said, I do hope to stay at BCV/BWV at times, but I'm perfectly happy at SSR or OKW (where we stayed last time). Haven't been to BCV or BWV yet.

We own SSR and bought with the intention of staying there. We kind of thought we might like to try the other resorts but weren't really set on it. We like SSR and are perfectly happy there. So far we've had 4 stays at SSR. We are staying at Boardwalk at the end of August, SSR in November and Wilderness Lodge Villas in February. Haven't got in at Beach Club yet but it is on the list of resorts we'd like to try. Along with Animal Kingdom Villas and Old Key West. They are all beautiful resorts.

In short, your sister shouldn't be frustrated. I don't mean to sound cold and harsh, but she shouldn't have purchased with the idea of forever making a reservation two months ahead, and always expecting to get her first choice.
I agree with MG. None of us should expect to be able to book "last minute" unless we are willing to take anything we are lucky enough to get.

If your sister waits until seven months or later, it doesn't matter where she owns or where she wants to stay. She effectively has no home resort at that point, and no special rights anywhere at seven months. She has the same booking rights 100,000 other DVC owners have, and they have the same right to book at her home resort as she does. If MS has availability they'll give it to her, and if they don't, they don't.

The fact that smaller resorts are getting harder to get at less than seven months is certainly influenced by the growth of DVC -- not just SSR, but also BWV, OKW resales, VB, AKV, etc, etc.

Like MG, I don't want to sound harsh, but DVC growth is not your sister's problem. Her problem is her late booking.

We bought SSR because we liked SSR. I hope to eventually stay at all of the resorts at some time in the future. Frankly BCV and BWV are pretty low on my priority list - too busy for me.

I don't own at SSR.....I get your point though.....

I think that most people buy where they like.....
BUT...they also want to try every resort....

So with more people looking to try new resorts at the 7 month
mark.....last minute bookings....well are just that...
You go where there is availablilty:confused3

For instance....I bought WLV....recently....
my 1st 2 dvc trips are.....SSR 1st....then BCV.....

Why....cause I know I love WL.....but I want to try them all
to figure out where to add on.....or stay put at WL:goodvibes
Kerri

I agree with MG and those who attribute the challenge of booking last minute is getting harder due to the growth of DVC in general. But I'd say that's only part of it.

She is very frustrated, after enjoying DVC for 5 years now, and has a hard time going at the last minute like she always enjoyed. I'm not so sure though. I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on this, thanks.

I'd say that 5 years ago (2002) BCV was brand new and she could probably get bookings there or BWV pretty easily at short notice for a while. But for BCV especially, that was short-lived depending on the time of year as this small resort has pretty much been challenging to book on short notice for certain times of the year.

The other issue that DVC owners are finding is that Disney has done a great job in making their "low seasons" much more attractive over the past few years. For instance, the Food & Wine Festival has transformed a really, really slow part of the year to one that is now very challenging for DVC owners to book on short notice. I've read many reports that other slow times of the year (January/February for instance) are not as automatically available on short notice for all the resorts.

So not only is it more challenging due to the sheer growth in DVC membership, but it might be that she was used to booking a time of the year on short notice that has now increased interest from DVC owners in general.

Doesn't BCV get fully booked before the 7 month window in several cases? Like F&W and Christmas? That can ONLY be done by BCV owners.

BCV is in close walking distance two TWO parks, which makes it (and BWV) a big, desirable location - and it is among the smallest, so fewer rooms available.

We bought SSR, but stayed at BCV on our first trip (just DW and I, wanted to be close to Epcot). Originally, around 4 months out, it wasn't available but I waitlisted for BCV or BWV. Got BCV two weeks later.

Our December trip is booked for SSR, although after staying at BCV we did waitlist there, as it would be very convenient for DFiL who had hip replacement and would also like to be close to Epcot. No biggie if we don't get it - we want to stay at SSR, and eventually the others as well.

I'd buy in to BCV, but I'm saving for CRV... :)

I plan to stay at them ALL, and I can't wait for more to come along, too!:cool1:

I wouldn't have bought ANY timeshare to stay at the same resort year after year . . . that's just not me! But, if the only place I can get into is SSR (when I'm not originally planning to stay there for that vacation in particular), that's great since it is a beautiful resort (as they all are)!!

Others might like to take the same type of vacation over and over (and that's fine), but I like the variety of DVC resorts, Disney resorts, DCL, and I even plan to trade out through II in the future.:banana:

I bought DVC because I can stay so many places!!

I bought SSR with the intention to never stay at BCV - it's the one resort that holds no appeal whatsoever to me. I did purchase with the intention to use a good chunk of my points at VB and HHI each year.

As DVC grows, there are more members competing for dates/locations. But - there are also more rooms and locations. The home resort booking advantage will still secure members a spot at their home resort - but after 7 months, it's going to be more difficult. I bought AKV and will never use those points anywhere else. I also realize that AKV is going to be an attractive destination for lots of non-home-resort-owners, so I will be making my reservations way before the 7-month window opens. I would never expect to get a reservation there at the last minute. DVC is designed to give members resort choice as well as a home resort advantage. If it were a fixed week, fixed location timeshare, I doubt it would be as appealing to most people. Personally, I am happy to deal with planning ahead if it means more DVC choices - I'd love Anaheim, or CRV, or another off-site location!

Also, the travel industry in general has changed a lot from late 2001/early 2002. September 11 keep many people at home and Disney had a hard time filling many rooms. We have now returned to more normal travel patterns.

-- Suzanne

DW and I have owned at OKW since 1994 and SSR since 2004. We have used points for a couple of stays at HHI and DW took her sister on a cruise, but when at WDW we have always stayed at our Home resorts. On several occasions I have asked DW if she would like to try for BWV for our stay. She has always thought BWV would have way to much activity and noise than she would want. We have stayed at the BC resort before BCV and enjoyed it quite a lot, but she has never mentioned staying there. Maybe someday. At this point we don't have much interest in AKV or VWL.

I own at SSR and have had no issues booking at the 7 month window for any of the other resorts as of yet (BCV,BWV, even got a ressie at AKV coming up). I would say it comes down to planning and using the window.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter