Did our family see a different Frozen than everyone else?

I didn't want to high jack any of the other Frozen threads, so I am wondering if there is anyone else out there who thought it was just mediocre at best?

Took the family, my wife, daughter and son too see it over the holidays. (Daughter is 11 and son is 5). We were all really expecting something great after all the hype and great reviews. We left the theater feeling rather, how can I say, let down? While the movie was somewhat enjoyable, had fantastic visuals and an OK story, it felt more like a made for TV movie to us; including the kids. Funny thing is, our daughter mentioned it first.

Maybe I missed something, but the story was very linear. Locations involved the town, and the instantly made ice castle, and that was pretty much it. Character development was pretty much non existent, and the "evil" sister goes from hiding in her room for a decade and hating herself, to going nuts and building her new life almost instantly. She then re-converts, and everything is OK again.

Not saying it was horrible, but really, I'm let down here, and the wife and kids feel pretty much the same. (I never give my reaction to a film until they do so I don't influence them in any way).

Compared to other recent animated films, such as Tangled which we thought was FANTASTIC in every way, this was so not Disney quality to us it was rather disturbing.

Are we alone here?

I agree. My daughter (9) loved it because of Olaf and Sven and 2 princesses, but I thought it was muddled and the music forgettable.

I agree. My daughter (9) loved it because of Olaf and Sven and 2 princesses, but I thought it was muddled and the music forgettable.

Thank you. I whole-heartedly agree. And as an adult male, Olaf, Sven and the 2 princesses destroyed the movie for me.

Yes, they didn't want to telegraph it, BUT they also have to lay foundation so that when it happens it makes some kind of sense, which I think they missed a tad. You don't want to tip your hand, but subtle clues most people wouldn't pick up on UNTIL the reveal are important for a twist like that.

Maybe I need to see it again, but I recall nothing like that. The only thing wrong with him is that he was "too perfect" and maybe that was supposed to be the tell, but that's a bit of a cynical stance to take in my book.

I read in one review that there was another hint in the song "Love is an open door" as to his intentions. For example "I've been searching my whole life to find my own place" and he gestures to Arendelle.

I really didn't pick that up, but now looking at it, it makes sense.

This is the actual part DH and I loved about the movie that you didnt see the villian aspect coming. It was a twist that had the entire theater gasp (seriously) and we didnt feel that it was rushed. It was unexpected from your typical "I know what is going to happen" disney story. That was cool. I think its great too that the love aspect is not boy/girl love but family love. I love the music but I am a broadway music kinda girl and have several soundtracks downloaded on my phone.

I will agree that the character development was not there, this is where we felt the movie seemed..... rushed. I feel if they dropped maybe one song or two and focused on the characters a bit more OR if it was a bit longer (15-20 minutes maybe?) and focused on some development that it would go from good to AWESOME.

I'm a Broadway fan too, and look forward to seeing this one on stage (or on Ice!) eventually! I think it will translate extremely well.

However, I also felt it was rushed. I loved it but felt that so much had been edited out. It felt choppy.

Walking out of the theatre, my first thought was that it should have been twice as long.

Does Disney ever release director's cuts? Because I'd definitely pay for that. :)

I read in one review that there was another hint in the song "Love is an open door" as to his intentions. For example "I've been searching my whole life to find my own place" and he gestures to Arendelle.

I really didn't pick that up, but now looking at it, it makes sense.

I noticed that the second time. Anna sings about finding him, and he sings about finding "his place."

I didn't think it was awful, but I didn't think it was really great either. I enjoyed it more because it was such a relief in my mind to see a half way decent kids movie. I haven't been very impressed with any of the ones I've seen in last few years.

I hated Brave, had to force myself to even finish it. Tangled was just too overly simplistic. I guess I just over analyze too much, but what girl who has lived her whole life with a mother she thinks loves her, who is her whole world, who has never abused her, would just turn on her like that. Yes, she is the villain, yes she kidnapped her, and yes she was using her, but despite that you wouldn't undo almost 2 decades of a relationship, in just a second. Kids live with abusive parents and still love them because they see them as their parents. Hasn't Disney heard of Stockholm syndrome? For me, it was just too simplistic a stance on what is a very complicated emotional situation. I know its a cartoon world, anything goes, but the plot just really bothers me. I did enjoy the music, though.

Ok back to Frozen...

I loved "Let It Go". Thought that song was on par with other Disney classics, but the rest of the music was just ok, or I didn't really care for it.

I hated that there were so many main characters. It was just too many for me. I felt like you didn't know who to route for. I prefer more straight forward good guys vs bad guys.

I hated that there was no hint of the prince being evil. His actions just didn't make sense. He seemed to care about the town and the people, even Anna to an extent. Some of the things he did that implied he cared had no bearing on him getting the thrown or helped his case, so why do them? His actions just confused me. I don't mind a surprise villain if done well where you look back and say oh now I see, but Frozen makes me look back and think the opposite.

I thought there were too many bad guys / conflicts going on - the prince, the emissary from the other town and his goons, the snow monster, and Elsa and her storm. It was just too much.

I also hated that the movie goes out of its way to tell you, you don't meet someone and marry them right away, you get to know them first, and then the next thing you know the trolls are trying to marry Anna and the guy off. So it's ok to marry a stranger if the trolls say so, but otherwise don't. It just seemed hypocritical to me. In the end Anna got her guy. I just didn't see the difference in her falling madly in love with the prince and then turning around and falling madly in love with the other guy, she knew him only about 24 hours longer than the prince. It just seemed like a step backwards if they were trying to show a strong girl didn't need a guy or true love to get her happy ending.

I did love the beautiful snowy scenery, especially the sparkly ice crystals when Elsa builds the castle during "Let It Go". I can watch that part over and over. There is just something about snow flakes that draws me in.

I also loved Olaf. He's my favorite snowman, one who loves the heat as much as I do and can come out in summer. He was very funny and cute, and probably next to the "Let It Go" scene. Olaf was my favorite part of the whole movie, the reindeer came next, so that tells you something.

Oh, and being a girl. I want Anna's green coronation dress. I thought it was beautiful.

Overall, seeing it in 3d was an entertaining experience and a fun Christmas break activity, but it just wasn't the Lion King for me or anything close to it.

I'm another person in the camp of seeing Frozen as a OK film, but nothing spectacular. I did, though, love the song, "Let it Go" in the movie by Indina.

But OMG, my 18 year old son is in love with the movie and has seen it four times: First he went with his girlfriend, then he went with me and my husband and we saw the 3D version, then he took his grandma, and then he took his girlfriend a second time. If there are others like him, no wonder it's doing so well at the box office. There is only one other film that I can think of that he has gone to see multiple times at the movies, and that wasn't an animated feature. // So I'm guessing he and many others are seeing something and appreciating something that I'm not.

(I should probably mention that in general I'm not a fan of animated movies. Disney/Pixar are the only ones that I will go too, because they usually have better character development that other companies that put these out, and I think it's nice to go to animated movies every once in a while with my husband and son. If it weren't for them, though, I wouldn't see any animated movies at all. My all time favorite Disney animated movies are Little Mermaid, Lion King, and Lilo and Stitch.

I'm so glad everyone's talking about Hans, because that was the one thing that really bothered me (overall I enjoyed Frozen). I didn't want to talk about it here before because of the spoilers.

Unfortunately, I accidentally stumbled across a "Hans is the Villain" spoiler before I saw the movie, so I'm really not sure how I would have reacted in the movie if I hadn't known - but I'm in the camp that really feels they didn't set up the twist very well. (More later on two AWESOME Disney animated twists of recent years...)

What I REALLY REALLY wish they'd done with Hans is let him be the good guy we think he is - BUT... There's a line in the Fixer Upper song about "People make bad decisions when they're mad or scared or stressed." Let Hans want to/try to kill Elsa because he believes she's wicked, has harmed Anna, cursed the kingdom - he sees this as necessary to save the kingdom, but Anna sees the situation differently and no way would her True Love try to hurt her sister. Frankly, the lesson I wanted (in addition to "don't marry the guy after one date") was, yeah, sometimes the guy is nice, but maybe he's still not the right one for you.

SPOILER ALERTS for "Meet the Robinsons" and "Wreck-It Ralph":
As far as Disney villain twists: I still remember the joy of seeing "Meet the Robinsons" spoiler-free, and the scene where the Bowler Hat Guy is trying to talk his way into Inventco for the first time, when I suddenly realized who he was! It was the dark circles under the eyes. I was like, "Is he? Isn't he?" When he runs into Goob at the orphanage and starts tearing up over the little kid's sad plight, I thought, "Oh, it is, it has to be!" And the ultimate reveal had me cheering. I already knew from previews that I was going to like BHG, and I loved Goob from the first time we met him, so I thought this whole character thread was great (but they really needed to show us a glimpse at the end of adult Mike in a happy future where he's a big league baseball star).

I did NOT see the villain twist coming in Wreck-it Ralph and that is still one of my favorite reveals. In retrospect, they definitely put out the clues (the same VOICE, for crying out loud!), I was just too dense. You figure that King Candy's up to no good - but I had no idea who he was until the totally awesome reveal when Vanellope causes him to start glitching in the tunnel. The reaction of Ralph and Felix, Vanellope's "Who are you!?" and the big answer... That was a great GASP! moment the first time I saw the movie. (And the more I've seen it, the more I'm convinced that WIR totally deserved the animated feature Oscar last year and is a really great movie that I don't think gets enough credit.)

Wow, that was long long long, but I feel better now.

Nope, not alone. We're just hanging on the wrong boards. This is the Dis, any thing disney puts out is going to be welcome here with open arms.

I thought it was mediocre at best and I thought the music was "blah".

I gotta say, I was shocked by a few of these replies! Not to be rude, it's just that I found absolutely nothing wrong with Frozen.

I personally didn't love the Hans plot, only because I've seen it so much and I always end up loving the 'Hans' in the story before I figure out- BAM! They're bad! I always refer to it as the 'Luke' plot- any Percy Jackson fans out there?

Anyway, I didn't find any faults. I've seen it twice and wouldn't mind a third time. The music was amazing, especially Idina's Let It Go. The animation was beautiful, I love re-watching the "Let It Go" sequence on YouTube just to watch Elsa make her castle.

Going into the movie I didn't think I'd like Olaf at all, but after seeing it I loved him! Sure, he looked a little goofy (I understand they made him when they were little, but still), but he made up for it in the comedy he brought. "Oh, look at that, I've been impaled!" made me laugh both times we saw the movie.

Edit: I accidentally posted before I was done. I'm amazing, right?

I liked how the act of true love had nothing to do with a kiss, it was a sisterly love. The movie brought a good message and out of ten I'd give it ten and a half stars :thumbsup2

Nope, not alone. We're just hanging on the wrong boards. This is the Dis, any thing disney puts out is going to be welcome here with open arms.

I thought it was mediocre at best and I thought the music was "blah".

Actually I've found that Frozen is received better on non-disney boards then it is on Disney boards.

I have to confess-- OP, I am with you. I liked the movie.. but I didn't LOVE the movie. We saw it the week after Thanksgiving. I was stunned my DDs ages 6, 10 and 12 LOVE it. All three of them think it's the best movie of all time.. They're going next weekend for their third viewing, and they'd like to see it four times or more.

I agree with those who said it-- to me there was not enough character development. I assumed this happened because they were trying to "boy it up" with Olaf and the reindeer etc. Ana was great, but Elsa was unlikable. My kids LOVE Elsa-- they think she is the best character ever.. but I think they are simply in love with Idina's (sorry sp) wonderful voice.

We did buy the CD and they listen to it everyday. I do love that.

To be honest-- I thought Tangled and Princess and the Frog were better movies. I loved Princess and the Frog-- I think I was the only one!

I am happy for the Disney company that the movie is doing so well. I love to see Disney animation do well. I also think finding good family films is pretty hard-- so hopefully they'll make more movies like this. But yes, I am shocked it is doing as well as movies like Beauty and the Beast and the Lion King. I think much of it has to do with the music. :)

Cinderella8 said:
I gotta say, I was shocked by a few of these replies! Not to be rude, it's just that I found absolutely nothing wrong with Frozen.

I personally didn't love the Hans plot, only because I've seen it so much and I always end up loving the 'Hans' in the story before I figure out- BAM! They're bad! I always refer to it as the 'Luke' plot- any Percy Jackson fans out there?

Anyway, I didn't find any faults. I've seen it twice and wouldn't mind a third time. The music was amazing, especially Idina's Let It Go. The animation was beautiful, I love re-watching the "Let It Go" sequence on YouTube just to watch Elsa make her castle.

Going into the movie I didn't think I'd like Olaf at all, but after seeing it I loved him! Sure, he looked a little goofy (I understand they made him when they were little, but still), but he made up for it in the comedy he brought. "Oh, look at that, I've been impaled!" made me laugh both times we saw the movie.

Edit: I accidentally posted before I was done. I'm amazing, right?

I liked how the act of true love had nothing to do with a kiss, it was a sisterly love. The movie brought a good message and out of ten I'd give it ten and a half stars :thumbsup2

I agree with your rating. Don't be shocked at the posts here for two reasons: First, no matter how great a movie is it won't appeal to everyone. Second, this is the DISboards, a large number here don't like anything connected to Disney.

While I adore the movie, I will note that 2 viewings may be necessary. I liked it far more after the second time.

AndyLL said:
Actually I've found that Frozen is received better on non-disney boards then it is on Disney boards.

As mentioned earlier, sometimes it seems like anything Disney is received better elsewhere. This is a tough crowd.

I'm in the camp that liked it ok the first time, excluding the amazing castle building scene, that dress and the omg amazing Let It Go. The second time though, I loved it. My kids both loved it too. I expected the 6 year old princess loving daughter to love it, but the fact my Pokemon and Percy Jackson obsessed 8 year old son loved it impressed me. Tangled was ok the first time and he leaves the room when his sister watches it now. "Another stupid Princess movie!"

Yes, I totally did get the Luke reference above, but I liked the twist as opposed to the usual Disney princess who doesn't even bother to find out her prince's name before falling for him. The trolls may have been all for a marriage, but notice that neither of the proposed couple was into it and we never do see a wedding. I think that the trolls did nothing to undermine the idea that marriage is nothing to jump into and love takes time. I loved that true love had nothing to do with a man.

I will admit that we were ready to love it from the moment we heard Idina Menzel was singing in it. We are huge Wicked fans here and Idina is second only to Kristen Chenoweth in my daughter's eyes (or maybe I should say in her ears?)

I have one friend with a 7 year old daughter who really didn't like Frozen much. She liked the concepts, but not the resulting movie. Everyone has their own taste, and that's fine. I just think this is the first princess movie that actually succeeded in pulling away from the damsel in distress needs a man to save her theme and also appealing to boys. Brave did the former, but as a rule I think it failed at the latter. The brothers were cute and funny, but not enough to hold the interest of the anti-princess segment of boys.

While I adore the movie, I will note that 2 viewings may be necessary. I liked it far more after the second time.

Agreed.

When I 1st saw it I had no idea what it was about.

The musical nature of the 1st act did throw me off a bit.

Absolutely loved it the 2nd time.

I really liked the movie. (Preordered the DVD) I think that the words and emotions of the songs in the movie were integral in the character developement and plot advancement.

1. Using the chant/nordic yodeling song "Vuelie" to open the film over the traditional images if Ciderella's castle, etc., really set the mood for a Nordic story and hinted that this was not going to follow the typical Disney profile. And reprising it at the great thaw at the end ties the beginning of the film to the end and you feel you have come full circle and are near the end.

2. The "Frozen Heart" song introduced little Kristof and little Sven and forshadowed that they would have a hard life but were friends who count on each other and shared everything, but would be loners (the ice men didn't seem to acknowledge the pairs existance, much less try to help or teach them how to harvest the ice, and then road off and left them on the frozen lake). The two share a carrot, which they do at least 2 more times in the movie. And it is Kristof that gives Sven the first bite of the carrot each time, instead of biting off a piece and offering the leftover to Sven.

3. Then we jump to the palace were little Elsa and Anna share a room, but Anna (the younger and more playful sister) is awake and sees the northern lights and teases Elsa into getting up with the line "Do you wanna build a snowman?" i.e. Do you want to use your powers? After the accident, the visit to the trolls reveals that Fear will be Elsa's enemy, but the fear of what? (I feel that writers made the trolls perposefully vague on that point, but never developed this point further.) This is where the next song "Do you want to build a snowman?" (unkowingly reminding Elsa of why she is shutting everyone out) is used to show the passage of time and the diverging personalities of the 2 sisters. Lots more could be said here about this, but not now.

4. Then the coronation day. Kristof shares a carrot with Sven and shows that he speaks for him like a ventriloquist. His sleigh has wheels at this time, assuming that they are standing in from if his sleigh. (Summer Day) The song is "For the first time in forever" that to me, shows Anna as nieve and seeing only what she wants to see. Her mirroring the poses of the paintings is all of romantic poses where she is the center of attention. She shows that she is expecting a typical Disney princess experience, and leads the audience in that direction. Elsa's part in the songs shows she fears not being able to surpress/control her powers (she still views it a nothing but a curse). Hence she falls into the fearful-of-fear-itself trap hinted at by the trolls (but never developed in the story. Honestly, I kept waiting for a reveal about this up to the very end of the movie.)

5. Next song is "Love is a open door" which is Anna singing and Hans agreeing. Lots could be said here, too about hints to Hans' true character and Anna's nievity and wishfull thinking, and confusing infatuation/desire with true love. Later it is revealed that Hans is hatching a "game of thrones" plot probably during this song.

6. Next song is Kristof's "Reindeer are better than people" with Kristof again speaking in a different voice for Sven. To me the words to this song show Kristof to be a loner, distrustful of others but knows that others aren't all bad, and that he is far from perfect himself. To me there is a lot of character development in this short song and in the scenes imidiately before and after. Also, when Anna gives him the carrots in the barn, he again gives Sven the first bite.

7. I may have this one and #6 in reverse order but next is "Let it go". To me this really reveals alot of the charatcter of Elsa in that she has tried to obey her parents in suppressing all feelings so that her powers would stay hidden, but now that she has failed, letting her powers out is very emotionally cathartic, particullary now that she is alone with no fear of harming anyone. She now voluteers to shut herself away from others, but without the emotional self supression that she did in the castle. With the fear of harming others removed from her mind, she thinks she has complete controle of her powers.

Sidebar: Notice the way Anna and Kristof look at each other and the emotion in their faces and how it changes over time. To me this is a brilliant work of animation because you can almost feel them moving from just-met strangers to friends, to caring for eachother. At the end of "Fixer Upper" when Grandpapie troll says only an act of true love can thaw a frozen heart, it is another troll that suggests "a true love's kiss, perhaps?", not Anna or Kristof. and when the troll does say that, it is Kristof that says "Anna, we have to get you back to Hans." To me, this is a key moment in the movie, because i think I see the animators putting into kristof's face and voice a reluctance to let Anna go but to what may be her only chance if Hans is her true love. (Like the movie "Enchanted".) Anna responds by only saying Hans' name, but with a very emotionless voice. She doen't even say "Yes, get me to Hans." and the look on Kristof's face when he hands over Anna and they close the gates in his face. This triggers Kristof's epiphany moment and the animaters depicted it very well without over playing the moment. Anna's epiphany moment is triggered by 2 events, one by Hans' rejection and revelation of his deception, and the other by Olaf's use of Kristof's actions to illistrate true love. Anna shows she has learned this lesson when, after saving Elsa, freezing and then unfreezing, Elsa says "... you sacrifised yourself for me?" and Anna responds "I love you." It is the tone and inflection in her voice that is key, to me.

I don't see any of this as female empowerment or not needing a man or sisterly love over finding a man. I see it as a depiction of the difference between infatuation/desire and true love.

Anyway. getting kinda wordy here and straying off topic. Time to close and see what you all think and I will finish this later.

I'll start with the disclaimer I have not seen the movie yet. When it comes to the local discount theater we plan on making it the first movie we attempt to take DS to. But the soundtrack plays on my Disney station on my Pandora account and I'm surprised everyone goes ga ga over it. I get that I'm missing context but I still don't think they're very memorable. Still not to the caliber of something like "I See The Light"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter