Did Disney recall the rerelease of The Rescuers?

DodgerGirl

Crazy For The Mandalorian
When Disney decided to rerelease The Rescuers in 1999 I heard that Disney later recalled the new edition of The Rescuers and I would like to know the story behind this? I knew that Disney made newer editions that had a Special Reissue sticker attached to the video box that were released a month later. What was the story behind the recalled The Rescuers 1999 version?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/disney-recalls-sabotaged-video-1045806.html

Disney recalls 'sabotaged' video
Saturday 09 January 1999 - 00:02 GMT

DISNEY RECALLED 3.4 million copies of its home video The Rescuers yesterday, saying that two frames of the 110,000-frame animated film about heroic mice contained an "objectionable background image".

This is the first time that Disney, based in California, has recalled a video tape for having an objectionable image, although in the past various groups have claimed that The Lion King and The Little Mermaid contained inappropriate images or language.

A Disney spokeswoman said that the images in The Rescuers were placed in the film during production, but she declined to say what they were or who placed them.

In a statement, the company said that the two images could not be seen in ordinary viewing because the film runs too fast - at 30 frames per second on video.

The Burbank-based Disney giant is the world's second biggest entertainment company and the one most associated with family products. Two days ago, the chairman, Michael Eisner, pledged that the management would refocus efforts to make more family- orientated movies.

The film, Disney's 23rd animated movie, features the adventures of two mice trying to save a girl trapped on the riverboat hideout of a notorious villainess. The film features the voices of Bob Newhart and Eva Gabor.

The company said the aim of the recall was to keep its promise to families that they can trust and rely on the Disney brand to provide the best in family entertainment.

There are 2 frames in the movie where there is a television in the background that shows "adult content". What kind of person goes through Disney movies frame-by-frame, looking for things?

Disney animators have been sneaking things into the movies for a long time. Just look at the controversy over the cover of the original VHS tape of "The Little Mermaid".

Even the writers sometimes slip things into the movies. For instance, isn't it interesting that when Aladdin winds up in the brothel, the "employees" call him by name?

Kids usually miss these things. I think these are slipped in for the parents.

There are 2 frames in the movie where there is a television in the background that shows "adult content". What kind of person goes through Disney movies frame-by-frame, looking for things?
My guess is that someone didn't go through the movie frame by frame. Someone just paused it for any number of reasons why someone would pause, but inadvertently did it at the exact right second it see it, and then told other people, or asked if other friends saw what they thought they saw, and it just kind of spread from there.

Even the writers sometimes slip things into the movies. For instance, isn't it interesting that when Aladdin winds up in the brothel, the "employees" call him by name?

My fan theory was that they know him by reputation, not as a customer. They've heard other customers complain about him, and/or they've seen him out and about in the marketplace getting into and out of trouble.

Last edited:

When Disney decided to rerelease The Rescuers in 1999 I heard that Disney later recalled the new edition of The Rescuers and I would like to know the story behind this? I knew that Disney made newer editions that had a Special Reissue sticker attached to the video box that were released a month later. What was the story behind the recalled The Rescuers 1999 version?
What happened was there was an image of a topless woman in one of the apartment windows in two non-consecutive frames on the original VHS version (you have to advance the tape frame by frame on a four or six head VCR to clearly see it). The recall was in response to this. Disney edited the image out and remade the newer version of the movie out and the original version would be exchanged to a the new version where the picture of the topless woman was removed for no charge. Disney Plus has the version where the objectionable image was removed. It was during the scene where they were flying in a sardine can on the back of a bird while the United States Air Force Academy Fight Song was playing. It is un-noticeable to the untrained eye at normal playback speed and by casually watching the film. I believe there were some parents who called or wrote to Disney to make Disney aware of this since many children watch this movie and Disney responded to the complaint.

Last edited:

Disney animators have been sneaking things into the movies for a long time. Just look at the controversy over the cover of the original VHS tape of "The Little Mermaid".
An image on cover art is different than two frames in a film with a tiny image embedded into them, though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter