• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

diabetic question?

allaboutmm

DIS Veteran
We are staying @ one of the value hotels in a few months. I know that the other hotels now have fridges in there rooms, except for the value hotels. Do you think I wll have to pay for a fridge or b/c of medical reasons just get one? Which I don't mind paying( I don't want people to think I want a free ride), I just didn't know if someone has been in the same boat, and what happen?

allaboutmm said:
We are staying @ one of the value hotels in a few months. I know that the other hotels now have fridges in there rooms, except for the value hotels. Do you think I wll have to pay for a fridge or b/c of medical reasons just get one? Which I don't mind paying( I don't want people to think I want a free ride), I just didn't know if someone has been in the same boat, and what happen?

Some types of insulin do not require refrigeration, but others do. You should be able to get one for free since it is for medical reasons. I know that once we had to get a fridge for our son's Orapred. Reservations said it would be at no cost, but we were charged for it. I didn't mind paying since we used it mostly for food anyways.

here's the phone number for WDW Resort Special Reservations: 407-939-7807 (TTY: 407-939-7670)
They should be able to help you with your question. It's possible they may provide only a small (like size of a shoe box) refrigerator for you, but should provide one at no charge for medical reasons.
Also, you ca request a needle box for your syringes and lancets. Just call Housekeeping when you get there and request one.

We have always been provided a dorm-sized undercounter Ref at no additional cost. We simply make the request upon check-in, explaining the medical use. Double check the bill at check-out. Sharps containers are available from Mousekeeping. Calling Special Res is also a good idea.

becareful opf the temperature...i froze my meds one i guess because there wasn't much else in it

apcall said:
becareful of the temperature...i froze my meds one i guess because there wasn't much else in it
If they bring up a refrigerator to the room some of the people have a tendency to set it at maximum cold thinking it will make it cool down faster. I learned (the hard way) to check where the thermostat was set before putting anything in the refrigerator.

We had 3 diabetics (all on insulin) in our group. I had reserved one refrigerator for my room when making reservations over the phone. Then decided it would be convenient if the other room had a fridge too (because 2 of the diabetics were in the other room). So I went to the front desk, and asked for a 2nd one they didn't hesitate to send it up. The fridges were a little beat up, but they worked and kept our insulin cold, and both were free of charge. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter