Destination-D, WDW May 12-17 OKW/BLT – Final Trip Wrap Up

franandaj

I'm so happy, I could BOUNCE!
This is a trip report which will mainly focus on the upcoming D23 event, Destination-D40 which takes place on May 14-15 at the Contemporary Resort. It will have all kinds of history, future plans, and other neat trivia. I went to the DLR event in September and realized that I need to take better notes, so hopefully I can report some really cool and interesting things back to those who aren’t able to go.

For those of you who have followed my previous reports you know that I have been a DVC member for a few years now and while I love WDW, I’ve been rekindling my affection for the initial Disney love of my life Disneyland. Last Fall there was a D23 Destination-D event held at the DLH, we attended while staying at the VGC and it was AMAZING! But when they announced that there would be Destination-D at WDW, we said, “We would have to stay at the Convention Hotel, we don’t have enough points left and how could we go for just two days?”

Well fast forward a few months. They cancelled the CA F&W Festival :headache: so I had no need for the trips I had planned to stay there opening and closing weekends at the VGC (ie extra points, what is THAT?). And after a couple knee replacements my DP has a whole new lease on life and desire to visit WDW much more often :banana:. So when they announced the schedule for the WDW Destination-D, we got all excited. But we were still not sold on attending. We knew from the DLR event that there were a lot of people, and when over 1000 people were released on DLR and DTD, the restaurants were severely impacted. Not to mention that many people left the sessions early to get right back in line.

The one thing that saved us at the DLR Destination-D was that we had a 1 BR Villa. I was able to go back to the room and make us all our meals (I just happened to bring enough food because I always overpack) so we didn’t have to wait in line for food and we could either concentrate on getting back in line or take a power nap. So when they released the schedule for the WDW Version we were drawn to attend like flies on S&!*. However, the only way it was going to happen was if we could stay at BLT, even the VWL would be too far because the boats would be packed going back and forth. Since MS was closed by the time we read the email on the West Coast (3:30PM), we decided to call in the morning and see what we could do.

We didn’t even wake up at 6AM (9AM east coast time) to call and inquire if they had availability. But at 10AM pacific time lo and behold they still had a 1 BR Lake View Room available for the last four of five nights we needed! A few back and forth discussions and we borrowed the 37 points needed to make the reservation! We were going! Then we had to find airfare! Well between our Delta Miles, & AMEX miles we were able to pull off the tickets at no cost! Next thing was that we needed to make reservation for a place the first night. Since it really didn’t matter where we stayed, we decided to try for OKW in a studio. We’d never stayed there and it would round out our goal of staying at every DVC at the world by the end of the year. The only problem was we had to wait for our new BCV contract to close (it had 57 points in the 2010UY left), but the contract didn’t close for about a month after we made the BLT reservations. Well by the time that we made the reservation all they had left was 1 BRs! Darn, I would have to endure another night with a Jacuzzi Tub! :lmao:

Here is the cast of characters: Me (Alison) and my DP (Fran), This is us celebrating my birthday at the Napa Rose Restaurant in Disneyland last year.

IMG_3450.jpg

Both of us were WDW vets when we met, and we took our first trip together in 1997. We joined DVC in 2007 and have been traveling to WDW every year since then (although the 2007 trip was the over-the-top expensive trip which caused us to purchase DVC!).

Now I know I’m jumping the gun on this trip and we won’t actually be there for another few days, but once we get there, it will be all I can do to report on the happenings at the Event so I want to lay the groundwork before I go, and then I’ll just report in, as time permits!

So back to the trip, at three months out many WDW Dining reservations were not available, but we made our reservations for the places we wanted to go on the days we weren’t involved in the convention. Here is our schedule.

Thursday, May 12
Leave LAX at 10:30AM arrive MCO 6:15PM
Take DME to OKW (check into a 1 br)
Ride the Boat to DTD/PI and have dinner at Paradisio 37

Friday, May 13
Check out of OKW, take the bus to MK, redeem our AP Vouchers and purchase TIW
Take the monorail to the GF for breakfast at 1900 Park Fare (10:30 reservation)
Take the monorail to the Contemporary and check in for Destination-D
Go shopping in the Destination-D store!
Check in to BLT (room probably won’t be ready)
Head over to DHS since we didn’t get there last trip.
Get settled in room Cook Dinner (Baked Chicken, Stuffing & Gravy, Zucchini) Make some brownies for the weekend. And prepare meatloaf for Saturday night & spaghetti sauce for Sunday.
Go to Top of the World Lounge for Wishes Fireworks at 9PM

Saturday, May 14
Cereal & Yogurt for breakfast
Destination-D until noon
Chicken Salad Sandwiches, chips and brownies for lunch
Destination-D after noon
Cook Meatloaf, instant potatoes, and green beans
Return to Destination-D

Sunday, May 15
Cereal & Yogurt for breakfast
Destination-S until noon
meatloaf Sandwiches, chips and brownies for lunch
Destination-D after noon
Spaghetti & Meat Sauce + salad for dinner
Return to Destination-D 8:30PM

Monday, May 16
Bacon & Eggs for breakfast
AK Park
Dinner at either Ctricos.

Tuesday, May 17
Who knows what we will do for breakfast?
We have a reservation at the Biergarten in Germany at Epcot for lunch around 12:00 noon
We need to catch DME at about 4PM to get back to the airport.

We have placed our order with Garden Grocer so we have all the food we need being delivered and that which is not coming from Garden Grocer we are ordering from minius.biz this seems like an incredible website that I will be happy to use as we love small portions of stuff at WDW! Our Owner’s Locker is scheduled to be delivered to BLT on Friday, so we’re all set! Now all that remains is for us to get there!

The first day, our plan is that we will go to OKW, check in, take the ferry to DTD and have a late dinner at Paradisio 37. After that we’ll head back to the room and hopefully get to sleep relatively early since we’ll have a busy morning Friday switching resorts, getting our APs, TIW and all that Jazz! So with that said, please join me on my TR!

Hoping over to get my Disney fix since our next trip isn't until Halloween.

Hopping over to get my Disney fix since our next trip isn't until Halloween.

I know what you mean! I'm so glad we squeezed in this extra trip. I wouldn't have wanted to wait until Halloween! :thumbsup2

:yay: Welcome aboard!

:) Will repost :) two hundred times. ;)

:laughing: Glad to have you here!

Whoo Hoo..it begins!!

I hope it is as exciting as the last one! I got the answer to my question from the DLR event. Star Tours will have 54 possible outcomes! :banana:

Will you share that popcorn? :rotfl2:

Sooo excited to hear all about your trip!! I'm in!

:cool1: Glad to have you join along! Did we talk on the VGC thread? Are you planning a trip there this summer/fall with a jaunt down to San Diego?

Welcome everyone! I promise to take good notes and share as many of the tidbits as I can remember!

:cool1: Glad to have you join along! Did we talk on the VGC thread? Are you planning a trip there this summer/fall with a jaunt down to San Diego?

I always follow your TR's, just love them! We DID talk on the VGC thread! You gave me great info! We went there last October. The sad sad part was it rained heavy every day and was soooo cold! We never did make it to San Diego though, we did make it down to LA which was interesting, to say the least. I would love to go back though, the weather I have to say, put a bit of a damper on my mood while there. I loved the VGC though, what a beautiful resort! We still had a good time, just wish we would have picked any other week than that one!:headache:

Looking forward to your trip report and Destination D. We arrive on Friday!

I always follow your TR's, just love them! We DID talk on the VGC thread! You gave me great info! We went there last October. The sad sad part was it rained heavy every day and was soooo cold! We never did make it to San Diego though, we did make it down to LA which was interesting, to say the least. I would love to go back though, the weather I have to say, put a bit of a damper on my mood while there. I loved the VGC though, what a beautiful resort! We still had a good time, just wish we would have picked any other week than that one!:headache:

Boy does time fly! So sorry you were here for that weather. That was probably around the time when all the houses were in danger of sliding off the hillsides.

Looking forward to your trip report and Destination D. We arrive on Friday!

Cool! What resort will you be staying at? I'm looking forward to all surprises they allude to as well as the planned presentations.

Cool! What resort will you be staying at? I'm looking forward to all surprises they allude to as well as the planned presentations.

We decided to book the Contemporary. BLT was sold out by the time we decided to go. So looking forward to seeing the Disney legends and Richard Sherman. :yay:

We decided to book the Contemporary. BLT was sold out by the time we decided to go. So looking forward to seeing the Disney legends and Richard Sherman. :yay:

Very smart! Transportation will be a nightmare! Did you go to the last one? There will be plenty of seating for everyone, but people will line up hours in advance for the prime seats. Richard Sherman is just phenomenal!

This is our 1st D23 event. We're not gonna stress about seating, just being there will be fantastic!

Hi Guys
Don't I know you from another thread??? ;)
Well I'm Subscribing :surfweb:
Have a magical trip Home can't wait to hear all about it !

I just want to thank you for mentioning the minimus site. I was unaware of it, and think I will find it useful! Now, on w/ your show! :goodvibes

Sounds like your off to a great start. It took my bicycle time to get here after falling off so many times.

This is our 1st D23 event. We're not gonna stress about seating, just being there will be fantastic!

That's the attitude!

:thumbsup2 Totally in- sounds like a fun tripped you've got planned.

Cool! It's now "Disney Eve" and I'm getting really excited!

Hi Guys
Don't I know you from another thread??? ;)
Well I'm Subscribing :surfweb:
Have a magical trip Home can't wait to hear all about it !

What thread could that be? :rolleyes:

Thanks! It's so close now! :goodvibes

I just want to thank you for mentioning the minimus site. I was unaware of it, and think I will find it useful! Now, on w/ your show! :goodvibes

This is my first time ordering from them, but it seems so useful and that way I don't waste a lot on the larger packages!

Welcome!

Sounds like your off to a great start. It took my bicycle time to get here after falling off so many times.

Well don't hurt yourself! :eek: I'm glad you made it over here!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter