departure time going to MCO in May

daisyx3

DIS Veteran
We are flying from Detroit into MCO on a Friday in late May to leave on a DCL cruise on Saturday. There are 3 times available to leave: 1230, 340, and 540. The 540 flight would save us $70 total, but I have concern about thunderstorms and the flight getting delayed/canceled in case things get backed up in Orlando. It's a nonstop so maybe I'm just overthinking, but if a flight gets canceled then we fly in on the day OF the flight and yikes, I don't want to chance that. Am I right (book the earlier one) or ridiculous (book the later one)?

If you leave Detroit at 540, I'd expect you to arrive in Orlando around 7:30. Most of the storms would have passed. But what happens if the 1230 flight has mechanical problems? What if there's a medical emergency on board? If you worry about all the things that can possibly go wrong, you'll be a wreck.

I like the 1230 flight simply because we could be at the hotel in time for a good dinner, maybe walk the beach, whatever. A $70 difference per person may make me want the later flight, but total? Nope, let me in early.

I would take a non-stop over a flight where you have to change planes. Changing doubles the possibility that something can go wrong, including luggage getting lost during the transfer.

Across all airlines, flight cancelations are rare. According to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, the cancelation percentage year-to-date is 2.35%. So, having a flight canceled is unlikely.

Since you mention the flight nonstop between Detroit and Orlando, that means you're looking at Delta. (They are the only airline that flies non-stop between those cities.) That means you have some good news. Delta almost never cancels flights. The year-to-date cancelation for mainline Delta flights is 0.16%.

(Mainline means flights operated by Delta and not one of their regional partner airlines. All nonstop flights between Detroit and Orlando are mainline.)

Even More Good News: Detroit is Delta's second busiest hub. That means that if there's a mechanical issue with a plane, they will probably have 1) spare parts, 2) mechanics to fix the plane, or 3) a large number of planes to substitute for the broken one.

All of the above means that it's extremely unlikely that your flight (regardless of time) will be canceled. There would have to be some truly remarkable weather for you to be stuck in Detroit. Everyone values money differently. Personally, I wouldn't spend the extra $70.

Data Source: https://www.transtats.bts.gov/HomeDrillChart.asp

I would take a non-stop over a flight where you have to change planes. Changing doubles the possibility that something can go wrong, including luggage getting lost during the transfer.
Oh yes, we are flying nonstop. We had some issues last time we changed planes with SWA and since then we have pretty much stuck with Delta for our flights to Orlando.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter