Denise's Days (Comments Welcome!)

DavidandDenise

Mouseketeer
***EDIT: I started this journal over six years ago and have not updated it for almost 6 years! I've started a new weight loss journey after many changes in my life. Please join me on p. 15, post #224 for my new journey! End Edit***

Okay, I've decided today is the day to start my journal. I've never kept a journal because I'm the type to do it for a few days and then stop, but I think with you guys holding me accountable, I will be able to do it and it will help! :p I am a recent addition to WISH. I'm 24 years old and don't have much to lose; I just want to be healthy. I am in the upper range of my healthy weight and would like to work down to the lower range (losing around 15 lbs.). I'm not sure about the amount of food I eat, but I have been making healthy choices. I would love your feedback. The biggest thing I would like to see change is my bodyfat %. I bought some pants and shorts smaller than my actual size last summer and at the time they fit--I'd like to be in those again soon (about 5 lbs. off). I'll post my daily menu and exercise and would love comments. Thanks! :)

Denise, welcome to the WISH journal board!! I've found my journal and those of others to be quite addicting! This is where I come to assess my progress and to talk to my WISH friends. I've learned so much about myself through these journals that I truly believe it is one of the key reasons I've been successful so far. I hope you get as much out of journaling as I have. :D

Best wishes on your healthy living journey - I'm glad you've decided to share it with us! :sunny:

hey denise, welcome to the wonderful world of journaling! everyone here is so wonderful and supportive, i know that this will be a positive experience for you :) . good luck on your weight loss journey, make sure to keep us updated, and make sure to remember that we will be here for you when you need us ::yes::

Welcome Denise!

You will find keeping a journal to be a very effective tool in helping you to achieve your weight loss goals. Everyone here is supportive and encouraging. Post often!

Okay, here's my first official journal post.

B: Co Co Wheats, slice of WW toast, orange juice

S: apple

L: Turkey sandwich on WW bread w/ ff cheese and ff miracle whip, carrots, ff yogurt

S: banana

D: planning on having (I'll edit if it changes) fish sandwich w/ ff cheese, baked red potatoes, peas

W: 40 min. bike, legs (squats, lunges, calf raises...), abs

I always feel really full after lunch and really hungry after school. I wonder if I would benefit from eating a little less at lunch (saving part of my lunch as an after school [I'm a teacher] snack). I kind of did that today with the banana. Maybe I'll start posting my weight and body fat % because I know it will help me to look at it over a period of time. I have a bad habit of weighing every morning, but maybe I'll post it once a week or something. Any suggestions on any of this?

Hi Denise! Welcome!

I'll just give you my 2 cents on the weighing issue. I weigh myself every day. I think it helps hold myself accountable. Plus I can spot what I'm doing wrong right away. (Chinese food, loads of sodium, I'm gonna retain water if I don't drink enough of it.) However, I "officially" weigh in on Wed. This means I have to have a loss on Wed morning, otherwise it doesn't count.;) I chose Wed as my weigh in day because weekends are tuff on me, but this gives me a few "good" days to make up for them! Just know that you can't give up when the scale goes up one day, down the next, then back up.:crazy: Eventually, if you stick with it, it will go down.

I wish you lots of luck on your journey. If I had the common sense when I was 24 to get some better eating habits, maybe I wouldn't still be fighting myself at 39!:mad:

I'll check back with you soon!:wave:

Sharon

Welcome!!!!! The journal and WISH friends have made all the difference for me this time around. I have really changed my lifestyle...........significantly. Glad to be reading your posts.

Thank you all for the welcomes and the words of encouragement. I'm writing to rat myself out. :( I'm normally really good about working out and my husband even runs with me 3 times a week, but we ended up going to my sister's so DH could fix their computer and a one hour job turned into a 4 hour job and I did not do the workout I posted yesterday! That's what I get for posting ahead of time; I will wait from now on. I did have the dinner I posted, but I never did eat that banana after school. :crazy: Lesson learned. I will workout today and I will post AFTER doing so! Thanks again for all your support; I look forward to continuing this venture with all of you. Also, I've never really kept track of water intake; I've just tried to drink a lot. After reading some posts of almost 100oz., I've decided to keep track b/c I don't think I'm anywhere close. TTYL :D

Welcome to WISH, Denise! And we can all understand how those plans can change when things happen!

What I do is journal first thing in the morning, reporting what I did the day before. That way, I'm not second guessing what happens. I'm also not the kind of person who plans out what I'm going to eat, so it works better for me this way.

Looking forward to seeing you here on the DIS.

Lisa

I'd like to thank all of you for your responses and encouragement. Lisa--I read through your journal yesterday and I really enjoyed it. I can't wait to read through some more (time issue!).

Okay, this is my post for yesterday.

B: 1/2 cup egg beaters (= 2 eggs), slice of WW toast, chocolate soymilk

S: 1/2 banana and special K bar

L: Turkey sandwich on WW bread with ff cheese and ff Miracle Whip, ff yogurt, carrots, 1 York peppermint

S: animal crackers

W: 1 hour step aerobics class (includes leg and ab work), 20 min. jog on treadmill (about 2.2 miles) and 7 min. walking cooldown (1/2 mile) with DH.

D: Spaghetti (no sauce) w/ parmesean cheese and spray butter, 1 slice garlic bread

S: dry cereal (cocoa puffs)

It seems like I ate a ton. I just did a rough estimate and it came to 1520 calories; I think that's actually good since my workout was long. I drank 48oz. of water--my goal for today is to increase my water intake. This morning I weighed 143 (I'm 5'7" tall), which is still 12lbs. lower than my high weight, but 5lbs. higher than what I was at the beginning of the school year. My bodyfat % is considerablly higher too (currently at 29%). Still in the healthy range, but I was down to like 18% over the summer. I've never taken measurments, but maybe I will--I think looking at my BF% and how my clothes fit can be just as effective. I'm excited to start loosign weight again and know I can do it. This BF% is more of a wake up call than the weight. Here's to another day! :)

Yesterday was a long day. I didn't workout because its my normal day off. I considered doing something to make up for taking Wed. off, but I wasn't home long enough until bed time. Anyway, no excuses!

B: Coco Wheats, slice of WW toast, chocolate Soymilk

L: Turkey sandwich, carrots, ff yogurt

S: half an apple, animal crackers

D: bean taco, baked corn tortilla chips (recipe from the recipe board)

I drank 56oz. of water; this is an approvement from the previous day, but still not enough. I don't drink nearly enough water on the weekends; it's just easier at work. My goal for Mon. will be to drink more than 56oz. of water, but for the weekend, I'll just try to drink as much as I can and then increase the weekends separate from the weekdays. Off to another day! :)

hey denise, thanks for coming by my journal. we do seem pretty similar, now don't we :). i'm starting to do the research necessary for getting into a masters program for teaching. i'll be sure to bother you if i have any questions, thanks for offering your support!

looks like you're doing a great job with the food and exercise. as for the water on the weekends, i tend to carry a bottle of water around with me wherever i go, and that helps me to make sure i get enough of it.

keep up the good work, i'll check back in with you tomorrow or monday (since tomorrow i'll probably be busy with gym and superbowl stuff!)

B: Oatmeal, WW toast, chocolate soymilk (I found light soymilk--tastes just as good w/ half the fat and way fewer calories--YUM!)

W: 3 mile run (took just under 27min., 5 min. cool down walk at 4mph.

L: Spaghetti O's, half a peanut butter sandwich

S: baby carrots, banana

D: baked penne (no cheese) with Healthy Choice sausage (another great find--way better for you than reduced fat kilbasa)
and peas

S: popcorn (they finally make fat free (after popped--94% ff before) kettle corn. It was yummy!

I did horrible in the water department--only 24oz. I will try to improve on that today. The popcorn wasn't the healthiest choicek, but I usually have it once a week. My run felt great! I wanted to get a P.M. workout in, but failed to. Here's to another day!

Denise, you're doing great!

Weighing - I weigh daily first thing in the morning. I don't really obsess when the numbers go up and down unless it's a 3 pound swing - then I start to take notice. My "official" weigh-in day is Sunday but if I don't like the number, then I'll count Monday or Tuesday. :)

Keep up the great work!! :sunny:

I ate a lot of bad food yesterday! I guess not too bad; I've just been eating a lot of pasta lately and I've having more tonight. :rolleyes: Oh well, at least I bought some ww pasta; it's a little better. Here's how yesterday played out:

B: French toast w/ lite syrup, lite chocolate soymilk

L: leftover baked penne w/ HC sausage (no cheese), baby carrots

S: a King's Hawaiian roll (98 completely unnecessary cals., but oh so good) :smooth:

D: basil burger (best burger ever! and we use 93% ff beef),
ff baked beans

EDIT: S: Totally forgot t include my new favorite snack! I made one for DH and one for me--half a banana, strawberries, and ff coolwhip with a little chocolate syrup drizzled on top. It's like a banana sundae without the ice cream! I love it--it's awesome! Yum yum! :p

W: Total body challenge (TBC) and 45 min. bike

I was a little better with the water yesterday--48oz. Still not great, but pretty good for a weekend for me.

DOE~I also get on the scale every morning (after toilet before shower :p ) I like your idea of using what weight is best--it can vary so much and yes, those 3lb. swings can be scary!

Marsh~I'm glad you're looking into school--it's what you really want--go get it. The water bottle is a great idea! I carry a travel mug of ice water around at school, there's no reason why I shouldn't do the same on the weekend. I hope you had fun yesterday--it turned out to be a really good game!

Court~Thanks for stopping by to say hello!

I look forward to hearing more from all of you. :wave2:

ah, you say you ate a lot of bad food, but it doesn't look so bad to me! don't be so hard on yourself :). what's a king's hawaiian roll? you say it is oh so good, i need to know what it is :p

(mail just came in the middle of my post, i have to sort and deliver. i'll try to stop by again later!)

Originally posted by marsh0013
. what's a king's hawaiian roll? you say it is oh so good, i need to know what it is :p

King's Hawaiian is a yummy sweet type bread I guess. I'm not sure how to describe it, but use the link below to see if it is available in your area and explore the site for more info. If you go to the products page, I highly recommend everything there, but they make a loaf of bread (not pictured) that you should not buy. It does not do the bread justice. I feel guilty just recommending these products; they are not healthy. :crazy:

King's Hawaiian

Denise, I gotta ask about something healthier than King's Hawaiian rolls....:p . What's a basil burger?? Can you share the recipe??

denise, it's so funny that you mentioned hawaiian sweet bread, then i went home last night and there was something just like that sitting on my kitchen counter! i had a piece of course (haha, see my journal for my downfall :o ). it wasn't the same brand, but it was called hawaiian sweet bread. it was a loaf.

oh yeah, and in my journal, you asked me about which pilates vid i do, i have a denise austin "pilates for every body" dvd. it has a warm up stretch, then ab work for about 15 minutes, then standing leg for work about 15 minutes, then a cool down stretch. i really enjoy it. i've never done any other pilates, so i guess i have nothing to compare it to, but i like it :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter