Deluxe dining thread

wow, pickles, I didn't know you were there right now, no wonder we haven't seen you around Tortuga. ;)

Great info on the Dlx. I've been debating it for July. But I'm thinking that in the heat, I'm going to want a nice long leisurely meal.

wow, pickles, I didn't know you were there right now, no wonder we haven't seen you around Tortuga. ;)

Great info on the Dlx. I've been debating it for July. But I'm thinking that in the heat, I'm going to want a nice long leisurely meal.

sadly I go back to snow tuesday :eek:

I am so bummed..wish I could just live here at Disney

I don't know how you people eat so much. I'm a big pig, but I just can't do it. We always schedule split stays if we do any DP. In April we are going to try the DxDP. There will be 3 adults for 2 days. One of the adults doesn't arrive until day 2.

Day 1, 2 Adults
Teppan Edo for lunch. $82.00
Jiko for late dinner. $101.00

Day 2, 3 Adults
California Grill for Wishes dinner. $169.00

Day 3, 3 Adults
Narcoossee's dinner. $227.00

Cost of food without plan $579.00
Cost of plan $419.94
Savings $159.06

Plus 12 snacks & 3 refillable mugs.

Still seems like a pretty good deal for us. :thumbsup2

Okay,
I am so happy to see this thread !! I have thought about DDP vs the (D)DDP for months. I have picked all of our resturants and added up everything that we will order and we will end up saving huge.
There are so many reasons that have made me decide to go with the (D)DDP. So here are my reasons and maybe it will help some make up their mind.

1.) Many nay-sayers are saying- this is to much time taken from the parks - Family A - decides to do counter service at Pinoc. Village Haus - mom and children begin to look for a table while poor ole' dad stands in line trying to remember what the heck everyone wanted. Mom just finds a table gets everyone seated and then DD (4) needs to go potty - hopefully we won't lose table lol ! Dad waits ten minutes then gets to the counter to order - he places the order. Then he waits to pay because the poor CM's cash register has run out of tape in the middle of the rush hour lol !! After another few minutes dad finally struggles to get the tray of food and all empty drink cups to the table. Mom then begins to go get all the drinks. Mom finally gets back to table sits down- looks at sandwich and "What the hell ?" I asked for Chicken and I got fish - Dad says oops - just eat it - it won't kill ya !!! We then eat and move on. Experience = F !!!

Family B- Mom, DH,DS, and DD all go to Chef Mickey's for lunch - We arrive five minuntes early for ADR and are seated immediately. We sit, DD has to go potty- mom tells dad - order me a diet coke when server comes please. Mom and DD return from bathroom break to find cold drinks waiting. DH and DS then go and scope out the buffet and come back with full plates, while Mom and DD sit at table hob-nobbing with characters and twirl napkins. DH and DS return - Mom and DD go through the buffet get everything they want and come back to eat hot food. Characters continue to come by playing with kids and we all swing napkins. Plus autographs are gotten.
Experience= A +++ (Most important Mom is happy !!!)

2.) Okay continuing with this theme:
Family A goes to Sci-Fi for dinner - Mom and DH sit in front - kids in back. Dad opens dinner menu falls out of car of heart failure at the prices. I think he was expecting Sonic- Drive In prices lol !! He then says to server- can I still get a burger ? I don't see it on the menu. Server says it's on the lunch menu but DH can get it. Mom asks DH "Why are you going to order that?" DH says - "It's cheap!" Mom then orders meal that cost 15.00 (no app can be had because DH will flip out !) Kids each get a meal. Food comes - DH eats - says- nothing special for 12.99 that's for sure. Mom feels bad for picking this place. Kids want light up ice cube which add to the bill !! Desert - are you kidding- we already spent about 60.00 - get the bill and let's go - this of course from DH.

Family B- Is on the (D) DDP - We stroll into Sci-Fi get seated. Open menu and start out with Onion Rings and Chips with Dips, apps get shared- (this is fun) Main Course - DH orders steak and Mom gets chicken, kids order meals- everyone enjoys their choices. Server comes and we all order different desserts and share to try different things. The bill comes at the end and DH says "Man look how much we were able to rack up." "We are really sticking it to somebody with all the money we are saving !!" Kids get treats and everyone leaves with a big smile !!!

3.)CRT - Family A wants to go really bad - but dad says it's to much and then encourages grumbles from son about having to sit in resturant with a bunch of princesses. DH has his own agenda - and is trying to save wallet- DS goes along complaining because princesses are so girly. Mom finally gives in and no CRT is had.

Family B- Mom makes ADR for first morning of MK visit - DD is so excited !! Son asks "Is it going to be all princesses?" Mom says yes - but you will get a sword - DS says awesome! And bright and early on Wednesday morning we all head into MK while mom is tearing up looking at the castle. We then go into castle - recieve family pic with Cindie. And snow white makes DH say that DW is his favorite princess !! We have used 2 credits for CRT and leave very full - we now have all day to play.... until Liberty Tree Tavern calls our name at 6:30 !!!

Okay so I hope my little stories helped someone make up their mind !!! Some of these stories are fictional - (DH claims to not be cheap and stomps feet !! :lmao: ) Some of these stories actually happened !!!

This time I will be family B - not family A !!! :rotfl2:

Does the deluxe plan include appetisers too?

The way I read the brochure it does not for a CS, but does for a TS.

I copied the following from the brochure
Table Service Meals

FOR BREAKFAST
Juice, Entrée, &Non-alcoholic beverage or One (1) full buffet

FOR LUNCH/DINNER
Appetizer, Entrée, Dessert
Non-alcoholic beverage or One (1) full buffet

Okay,
I am so happy to see this thread !! I have thought about DDP vs the (D)DDP for months. I have picked all of our resturants and added up everything that we will order and we will end up saving huge.
There are so many reasons that have made me decide to go with the (D)DDP. So here are my reasons and maybe it will help some make up their mind.

1.) Many nay-sayers are saying- this is to much time taken from the parks - Family A - decides to do counter service at Pinoc. Village Haus - mom and children begin to look for a table while poor ole' dad stands in line trying to remember what the heck everyone wanted. Mom just finds a table gets everyone seated and then DD (4) needs to go potty - hopefully we won't lose table lol ! Dad waits ten minutes then gets to the counter to order - he places the order. Then he waits to pay because the poor CM's cash register has run out of tape in the middle of the rush hour lol !! After another few minutes dad finally struggles to get the tray of food and all empty drink cups to the table. Mom then begins to go get all the drinks. Mom finally gets back to table sits down- looks at sandwich and "What the hell ?" I asked for Chicken and I got fish - Dad says oops - just eat it - it won't kill ya !!! We then eat and move on. Experience = F !!!

Family B- Mom, DH,DS, and DD all go to Chef Mickey's for lunch - We arrive five minuntes early for ADR and are seated immediately. We sit, DD has to go potty- mom tells dad - order me a diet coke when server comes please. Mom and DD return from bathroom break to find cold drinks waiting. DH and DS then go and scope out the buffet and come back with full plates, while Mom and DD sit at table hob-nobbing with characters and twirl napkins. DH and DS return - Mom and DD go through the buffet get everything they want and come back to eat hot food. Characters continue to come by playing with kids and we all swing napkins. Plus autographs are gotten.

Family A goes to Sci-Fi for dinner - Mom and DH sit in front - kids in back. Dad opens dinner menu falls out of car of heart failure at the prices. I think he was expecting Sonic- Drive In prices lol !! He then says to server- can I still get a burger ? I don't see it on the menu. Server says it's on the lunch menu but DH can get it. Mom asks DH "Why are you going to order that?" DH says - "It's cheap!" Mom then orders meal that cost 15.00 (no app can be had because DH will flip out !) Kids each get a meal. Food comes - DH eats - says- nothing special for 12.99 that's for sure. Mom feels bad for picking this place. Kids want light up ice cube which add to the bill !! Desert - are you kidding- we already spent about 60.00 - get the bill and let's go - this of course from DH.

Family B- Is on the (D) DDP - We stroll into Sci-Fi get seated. Open menu and start out with Onion Rings and Chips with Dips, apps get shared- (this is fun) Main Course - DH orders steak and Mom gets chicken, kids order meals- everyone enjoys their choices. Server comes and we all order different desserts and share to try different things. The bill comes at the end and DH says "Man look how much we were able to rack up." "We are really sticking it to somebody with all the money we are saving !!" Kids get treats and everyone leaves with a big smile !!!

3.)CRT - Family A wants to go really bad - but dad says it's to much and then encourages grumbles from son about having to sit in resturant with a bunch of princesses. DH has his own agenda - and is trying to save wallet- DS goes along complaining because princesses are so girly. Mom finally gives in and no CRT is had.

Family B- Mom makes ADR for first morning of MK visit - DD is so excited !! Son asks "Is it going to be all princesses?" Mom says yes - but you will get a sword - DS says awesome! And bright and early on Wednesday morning we all head into MK while mom is tearing up looking at the castle. We then go into castle - recieve family pic with Cindie. And snow white makes DH say that DW is his favorite princess !! We have used 2 credits for CRT and leave very full - we now have all day to play.... until Liberty Tree Tavern calls our name at 6:30 !!!

Okay so I hope my little stories helped someone make up their mind !!! Some of these stories are fictional - (DH claims to not be cheap and stomps feet !! :lmao: ) Some of these stories actually happened !!!

Nice:flower3:

My son and I are family B. :woohoo:

We're back from 5 days on the DxDP and we loved it. It perfectly suited us. It's only "too much food" if you order too much food. We didn't pressure ourselves to get every last nickel out of the plan and we still came out way ahead. We have 3 year old twins who sat just fine and played with the little toys we brought and they enjoyed their kids meals - even my very picky eater.

We ate at:
The Plaza in MK (actually, we ate here twice - we wanted a calm, sit down place and this served our purposes well)

Wolfgang Puck's Cafe - good-great food and great server

Mama Melrose's - a tad bit slow at first, but picked up. The waiter was good and we really enjoyed the food.

1900 PF - great character dinner with some actually decent buffet food. I really enjoyed the coq au vin. Kids loved their options and the character interaction was really good.

Crystal Palace (ate here twice, too - WELL worth it to get in the park early). Lots of options for food - great fruit. The servers were excellent and attentive without being intrusive. Helped us meet Eeyore when the kids missed him earlier, even though we didn't ask to meet him. We were in and out quickly.

Cinderella's Royal Table - I wasn't expecting much, but it was wonderful. The interaction was great, our server was fabulous and the food was above-average. Not great food, but worth it. We all loved it.

Narcoossee's - Excellent food, service was good, too. We really enjoyed our meal here.

Akershus - just so-so for us. I really liked the food and the buffet-appetizer/served entree actually worked pretty well, but the atmosphere was the most chaotic of the trip. Thank goodness for margaritas & grey goose slushes outside to mellow out. I think that probably had more to do with the guests that were there at the same time (screaming, screaming, crying kids) than the restaurant itself.

We had reservations at Coral Reef, but the kids seemed to be at the end of their rope, so we canceled them (and yes - I called and canceled so someone could get a lucky last minute 7 pm dinner) and ate a pizza picnic at the resort instead.

After reading so many reviews, I really thought the poor service and gross food would be more pervasive. There were definitely some servers I hope to never have again (the Plaza), but most of the time, everyone was great and really went out of their way. I was also pleasantly surprised with the food quality.

I would definitely do the plan again - we had some trouble with paying our tab, but only at the Plaza. Even that was quickly remedied. We never had to wait more than a minute or two for the check, but we did always request it before it appeared we were finished, so maybe that helped.

Hope this helps someone!

I'll put more detail in my trip report if you're interested - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1712496

Turtle... were you listening in on my sales pitch to my DH:lmao: By the way he's sold, but I'm gonna let him read your senario anyway.

Yay! I'm so glad I saw this thread. Me and my fiancee (soon to be husband) have already booked 7 nights of deluxe dining for our honeymoon in May. We have been to Disney tons, so spending a lot of time in the park and eating quick is not a huge deal for us. I was thinking about backing out of the deluxe dining, but I think I'll stick with it... So much easier. :) Thanks!

Yay! I'm so glad I saw this thread. Me and my fiancee (soon to be husband) have already booked 7 nights of deluxe dining for our honeymoon in May. We have been to Disney tons, so spending a lot of time in the park and eating quick is not a huge deal for us. I was thinking about backing out of the deluxe dining, but I think I'll stick with it... So much easier. :) Thanks!
I was looking at your siggy..Engaged in DLP? I would love to hear the story on that one, if you dont' mind sharing. I bet it was super romantic.

Have a magical wedding!! pixiedust: :goodvibes

Turtle... were you listening in on my sales pitch to my DH:lmao: By the way he's sold, but I'm gonna let him read your senario anyway.

:rotfl:
I think so many men think a like !! I love mine to death but he gets very crazy when it comes to having to try and make a vacation budget work. When we would pay OP he would go back to the hotel every night and tally up all the receipts and be like - okay family today we were 10.00 dollars over budget somewhere lol !! I thought I was going to be arrested for doing things I won't mention here :rotfl: I have already set aside 60.00 a day for tip money and he will not have to worry about a thing - this way we can all relax !!!!

I mean this is THE HAPPIEST PLACE on Earth for goodness sake !!

Okay,

I think your hubby is my hubbys TWIN :scared1:

We decided to do the DxDDP for various reasons and boy yours is VERY convincing.....now I want all TS meals.....:rotfl: to avoid the :confused3 of finding a table and waiting in line:headache:
Thanks for your post:surfweb:

Ok, here's a different scenario:

Family A has had a delightful day in the park. They arrived at rope drop and have been having fun making their way from Splash Mountain/Thunder Mountain over to Tomorrowland. After riding Buzz and seeing Laugh Floor they realize the wait for Space Mountain is 45 minutes, but Fastpass is available for 1pm. Since it's 12pm family A decides to go to Cosmic Ray's for counter service. Since there's plenty of seating, family stays together and discusses what they want to do with the rest of their day and what they want to order. Mom/Dad share Chicken/Rib combo/Large drink and DD gets kids meal and they share a dessert. About $22. DD has to go potty so Mom brings child to large bathroom. Surprisingly, meal is still there when they get back. Meal is pretty good and they leave to use Fastpass on Space.

Family B has the Deluxe Dining Plan which DH has spent $70 + $70 + $20 = $160 per day for and he's going to get his damn money's worth. They arrive at the park at rope drop and have a delightful day in the park until 11am when it's time to head over for their 1130am reservation at Tonys Town Square. DD (4) cries the entire way because she wants to go on Dumbo, but there's no time for such ridiculousness. Family B arrives at 1120am and DH triumphantly goes to podium where he is told the computer has no record of any reservation. DH persists, certain that he is correct in the time and location of the reservation. After a 10 minute argument CM finally relents and tells them a table should be ready in 30 minutes. 45 minutes later DH's name is called and Family B is whisked into a back corner table. DH notes the most expensive items on the menu and decides that although he doesn't like calamari, it is the most expensive and the best value so he orders it. After a brief argument, DH allows wife to order the salad. For main course, DH orders the $16.99 shrimp pasta without peppers or spinach and wife orders grilled salmon, the second most expensive item on menu. DD orders whatever kids order. CM finally comes to take order after longer than expected wait, but DD is in bathroom and DH cant remember if wife wanted walnuts on salmon so he tells her to come back in 5. Waiter comes back in 10 minutes to take order. 30 minutes later food comes out. Pasta is overcooked and there weren't as many shrimp as DH expected. Salmon is overcooked and bland. DD enjoys nuggets. DD wants to get back to the park so Family B does not order dessert. Waiter finally brings back bill for DH to sign. DH grudgingly leaves $10 tip on $60 bill. Family emerges from Tony's 2.5 hours after initial 1130am reservation and head to space mountain to find 60 minute wait.

DW, DD (15), and I just returned from WDW (1/20 to 1/27) and we were on the DDDP. The cost for those days on the plan was about $1450. We got there on a Sunday and by Thursday had already broken even.

We ended the trip with bills that would have been $1270 more than what we paid. Now, we ate at places like Coral Reef, Le Celier, Jiko, Wolfgangs, Tutto, Teppan Edo, etc.. So the bills were averaging $160 when you pick off whatever you want.

Would we have ordered the same things if we were paying out of pocket? No, DD wouldn't be ordering the $30 steak and I would have even though twice about it. But we did have a good time and ate whatever we wanted without worrying if it was too much which was fun.

We'll do it again for our 11-day trip in July.. :banana:

Ok, here's a different scenario:

Family A has had a delightful day in the park. They arrived at rope drop and have been having fun making their way from Splash Mountain/Thunder Mountain over to Tomorrowland. After riding Buzz and seeing Laugh Floor they realize the wait for Space Mountain is 45 minutes, but Fastpass is available for 1pm. Since it's 12pm family A decides to go to Cosmic Ray's for counter service. Since there's plenty of seating, family stays together and discusses what they want to do with the rest of their day and what they want to order. Mom/Dad share Chicken/Rib combo/Large drink and DD gets kids meal and they share a dessert. About $22. DD has to go potty so Mom brings child to large bathroom. Surprisingly, meal is still there when they get back. Meal is pretty good and they leave to use Fastpass on Space.

Family B has the Deluxe Dining Plan which DH has spent $70 + $70 + $20 = $160 per day for and he's going to get his damn money's worth. They arrive at the park at rope drop and have a delightful day in the park until 11am when it's time to head over for their 1130am reservation at Tonys Town Square. DD (4) cries the entire way because she wants to go on Dumbo, but there's no time for such ridiculousness. Family B arrives at 1120am and DH triumphantly goes to podium where he is told the computer has no record of any reservation. DH persists, certain that he is correct in the time and location of the reservation. After a 10 minute argument CM finally relents and tells them a table should be ready in 30 minutes. 45 minutes later DH's name is called and Family B is whisked into a back corner table. DH notes the most expensive items on the menu and decides that although he doesn't like calamari, it is the most expensive and the best value so he orders it. After a brief argument, DH allows wife to order the salad. For main course, DH orders the $16.99 shrimp pasta without peppers or spinach and wife orders grilled salmon, the second most expensive item on menu. DD orders whatever kids order. CM finally comes to take order after longer than expected wait, but DD is in bathroom and DH cant remember if wife wanted walnuts on salmon so he tells her to come back in 5. Waiter comes back in 10 minutes to take order. 30 minutes later food comes out. Pasta is overcooked and there weren't as many shrimp as DH expected. Salmon is overcooked and bland. DD enjoys nuggets. DD wants to get back to the park so Family B does not order dessert. Waiter finally brings back bill for DH to sign. DH grudgingly leaves $10 tip on $60 bill. Family emerges from Tony's 2.5 hours after initial 1130am reservation and head to space mountain to find 60 minute wait.

Here's a scenario for family B.

Since they are willing to spend so much money on the deluxe plan, they are going to PLAN before leaving home.

They take advantage of EMHs. This allows the 4 year old to ride Dumbo as much as she likes without waiting in huge lines. While she's riding high, one parent runs around and collect fastpasses. Once daughter gets her fill on Dumbo, the family hits other EMH rides. (continuing to collect FPs as they go.) Once the parks open to the general public, they hit the rides that aren't included in the EMHs. (still collecting FPs)

10:45, they head over to Crystal Palace for their 11:00 lunch. Check in and the CM doesn't have them listed. Not a problem. When mom checked into the resort, she had guest services print out all of their ADRs. She pulls out the slip, hands it to the CM and they are seated in about 5 minutes.

The family enjoys a nice relaxing lunch. ( No one worries about maxing out the plan:sad2:)

Once they are done about 1-1 ½ hours, they head back out. Of course the park is packed now. But they still want to do a few rides before heading out. Not a problem. They pull out the FPs they collected earlier. Now they get to hit the big rides for the second time.:thumbsup2

Can't wait to eat my way around the World in 8 days!!!

:wave2: Hi, Denise! I am sorry you all had to postpone your trip and hope you are feeling better by now! I look forward to reading about your experiences with the Deluxe Dining Plan since Bob and I are also going to try it out in September for our annual F&W trek.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter