Debt Dumpers 2022

We had the same experience. Took about 10 years, but we are completely debt and mortgage free.

I've been thinking about starting a thread for those looking to maintain their debt freedom. If anyone would be interested, let me know.

i would be in for that thread. i think for for far too many people who achieve debt freedom be it in it's entirety (home, auto, credit cards, student loans...) or in part (one or more categories) there's a slippery slope back into the pit of debt. i've seen it far too many times with people wanting to celebrate with a big vacation or purchase but rather than waiting to cash flow it by saving up they end up right back in debt and complaining about the monthly payments. i will admit it's tempting when you pay off your mortgage and have that nice big chunk of monthly change all to yourself but learning to change spending and saving habits can lead to re-experiencing that amazing feeling you have at payoff via going on that dream vacation but not paying for it after the fact, buying those home furnishings and only spending the cost on the invoice vs. that cost and the accrued interest, being able to do home improvements and renovations that you are enjoying for years vs. paying on.

let us know if you start that thread.

I am mostly a lurker but I feel like a lot of what you're looking for is already here. Not everyone in this thread has debt or may just have a mortgage cause it's newer and then stuff they are saving for. You can see it in the updates. @amalone1013 is one I can think if in this situation. and @ruadisneyfan2 has shared their truck troubles as it's been ongoing with all the fixes. I also think @DLgal fits into the saving vs paying off debt cat. People here all help support whatever it is being done and ask/answer questions.
Ok, thanks! I just didn't want to hijack this thread and have it go in a different direction. It seemed like it was intended for people actively dumping debt and not necessarily for life beyond that step.

I've been following for awhile, and although I see common issues among all members, our methods to get there would be different. Since we wouldn't have credit cards or home equity loans to fall back on, it's sometimes a different beast to wait years for that purchase you've been saving for!

I'll keep watching here, though, and think about the necessity of creating a separate thread. Thanks!

Ok, thanks! I just didn't want to hijack this thread and have it go in a different direction. It seemed like it was intended for people actively dumping debt and not necessarily for life beyond that step.

I've been following for awhile, and although I see common issues among all members, our methods to get there would be different. Since we wouldn't have credit cards or home equity loans to fall back on, it's sometimes a different beast to wait years for that purchase you've been saving for!

I'll keep watching here, though, and think about the necessity of creating a separate thread. Thanks!

I don't know how much new information a new thread would provide. I am not in debt, per se. However, that doesn't mean I don't sometimes have a credit card balance that isn't paid in full. I have one right now, in fact, but I have a lot more in my savings account. I focus more on maintaining and growing net worth at this point and maintaining a positive liquid cash balance. What this means for me is that right now, I am working towards a liquid savings goal while at the same time leveraging low/zero interest credit card debt to fund larger purchases in the moment. I have a fixed savings goal each month that I do not touch no matter what. I only maintain a credit card balance for necessary charges (not fun stuff), like I had to pay a lawyer $3500 to do estate planning for us. I find creative ways to fund fun stuff. Like I recently bought 4 concert tickets to a show I want to go to during a Citi cardholder presale (so I got amazing seats). I only needed 2 tickets. So, I sold the other 2 for twice what I paid. In the end, FREE CONCERT for us! I have a short term part time job that is seasonal and I am doing now. I don't count that income into our budget. I use the money to pay for our summer vacation every year. Stuff like that.

But that is also stuff most people on this thread do too.

I don't know how much new information a new thread would provide. I am not in debt, per se. However, that doesn't mean I don't sometimes have a credit card balance that isn't paid in full. I have one right now, in fact, but I have a lot more in my savings account. I focus more on maintaining and growing net worth at this point and maintaining a positive liquid cash balance. What this means for me is that right now, I am working towards a liquid savings goal while at the same time leveraging low/zero interest credit card debt to fund larger purchases in the moment. I have a fixed savings goal each month that I do not touch no matter what. I only maintain a credit card balance for necessary charges (not fun stuff), like I had to pay a lawyer $3500 to do estate planning for us. I find creative ways to fund fun stuff. Like I recently bought 4 concert tickets to a show I want to go to during a Citi cardholder presale (so I got amazing seats). I only needed 2 tickets. So, I sold the other 2 for twice what I paid. In the end, FREE CONCERT for us! I have a short term part time job that is seasonal and I am doing now. I don't count that income into our budget. I use the money to pay for our summer vacation every year. Stuff like that.

But that is also stuff most people on this thread do too.
Sure, I totally understand that!

Another thread wouldn't necessarily provide new information, just different information, like how to pay for fun and necessities without leveraging debt.

We've been following Dave Ramsey for almost 15 years (and completely debt-free for 5 years), so this lifestyle isn't new to us. But, life is expensive, and cash-flowing has been taking longer and longer as prices rise. It's just a different mindset when debt has been removed as a fallback. I was just curious if there were other like-minded individuals, but maybe it should be a Dave Ramsey thread instead?? haha....

Another thread wouldn't necessarily provide new information, just different information, like how to pay for fun and necessities without leveraging debt.

We've been following Dave Ramsey for almost 15 years (and completely debt-free for 5 years), so this lifestyle isn't new to us. But, life is expensive, and cash-flowing has been taking longer and longer as prices rise. It's just a different mindset when debt has been removed as a fallback. I was just curious if there were other like-minded individuals, but maybe it should be a Dave Ramsey thread instead?? haha....
I'm definitely not a Dave Ramsey fan, but there seems to be enough people who are that if you started a thread specific to his methods, you'd get a small community going. I personally don't believe that debt is inherently bad. Heck, for most of my adult life, we have had debt, but the big picture of net worth is far more important, and Dave Ramsey tends to either neglect investment advice or give bad advice on that front. I believe in balancing paying for now with saving for the short term AND the long-term, all simultaneously.

In the face of rising costs, the two options are earn more money or cut back on spending elsewhere. It's that simple. And yes, cash flowing large expenses will take longer. We also probably need to reconsider how we purchase things in the future as prices continue to rise. Like, leasing a car is becoming a more attractive option these days.

I think that is discussed here along with on the credit card thread. Most of the people on the cc thread are also debt free and churn/maximize their cards and monthly spend to either supplement or completely pay for vacations, or other things with points. The cards get paid off every month or as @DLgal said, some will float some stuff on a 0% card preferring to take longer or leave the money in savings gaining interest.

I think it all depends on what your goal is. If you only want to save cash to pay for stuff because credit cards are evil (not a dave ramsey fan) then like it's been said, you either find ways to cut back or you make more. I don't know what can be discussed outside those two options that aren't discussed in threads somewhere. But as said, if it's specific to DR, you will probably get some people but I'd also caution that you may get some bad apples at first due to how divisive he can be. There's certainly been people that came in here or the credit card thread trying to tell people how nuts or whatever we are but they generally leave once they realize no one will take their bait etc.

I just think, if you want an ongoing thread to grow like this or the cc thread, you'll want to be specific in the title/first post and make sure it's not overlapping what's already here too much. There's no way for similar threads on the budget board to work, which is seen whenever someone asks about gift cards, it eventually dies or pops up every week or so, because we have a dedicated gift card/deals thread that questions can be asked in. There's no mod here, so stuff won't get merged/locked or deleted unless someone asks/reports it, but people will ignore it. I'm not trying to discourage you, just help understand the dynamics and that you may find what you're looking for in existing threads. Even the gc thread can be helpful to find deals on disney gc, if that's what you are looking for, or other deals.

I am mostly a lurker but I feel like a lot of what you're looking for is already here. Not everyone in this thread has debt or may just have a mortgage cause it's newer and then stuff they are saving for. You can see it in the updates. @amalone1013 is one I can think if in this situation. and @ruadisneyfan2 has shared their truck troubles as it's been ongoing with all the fixes. I also think @DLgal fits into the saving vs paying off debt cat. People here all help support whatever it is being done and ask/answer questions.
True. I came here in 2013 so this feels like like home. Everyone was so kind, encouraging and helpful, which helped contribute to my success.
I’d like to be able to keep trying to keep others motivated to dump their debt.

I'm definitely not a Dave Ramsey fan, but there seems to be enough people who are that if you started a thread specific to his methods, you'd get a small community going. I personally don't believe that debt is inherently bad. Heck, for most of my adult life, we have had debt, but the big picture of net worth is far more important, and Dave Ramsey tends to either neglect investment advice or give bad advice on that front. I believe in balancing paying for now with saving for the short term AND the long-term, all simultaneously.

In the face of rising costs, the two options are earn more money or cut back on spending elsewhere. It's that simple. And yes, cash flowing large expenses will take longer. We also probably need to reconsider how we purchase things in the future as prices continue to rise. Like, leasing a car is becoming a more attractive option these days.

Yeah I'm more of that mindset. I did try to get rid of my student loans quickly and only have one credit card (that unfortunately sometimes has a large balance). But I also make sure I have at least one full mortgage payment in savings (I prefer 3 but..also sometimes just need that balance to come down) and of course contribute to a retirement account.

We're taking a hard look at our spending lately. We definitely still eat out far too much and we were just talking about the rising cost of gas meaning we need to plan outings so that we can do multiple things at once instead of going to Target 2-3 times a week and other errands as applicable.

I'm actually REALLY hoping that our new fridge means we'll eat more at home. Right now we have one of those very old (like going to shut down any day so old) fridges that have the freezer on top so whatever gets put on the bottom shelf basically ends up being forgotten and rotting because the only way to see it (or clean it!) is to kneel down on the floor. The new one will allow everything to be seen when you open the front and the freezer is a drawer on the bottom! Better/Easier access hopefully means more cooking at home and less food waste.

Last edited:
I am doing what I can to prevent us from going back into debt. It doesn’t mean it will never happen again though. When I was car shopping in 2018/19, I really wanted to save enough to pay cash for it. When I got up to about $16,000, I found the perfect car and bought it, which meant another car loan. I chose the shortest payoff time that I could which was 4 yrs. I paid it off in 9 months. The problem is when people continue to take on more and more debt without paying off the last thing.
Also after paying off my car, we cashed Discover 0% BT checks for the cash to pay for ds21’s welding school. It was $9k. With no other debt, we could pay it down very quickly.

So I’m not anti-debt, just anti letting it drag on. I pay every spare penny on it, like it’s on fire, to get rid of it asap.

I’m in a much different mindset compared to 2013 and can easily stick to a budget.

I am also very fortunate to have a dh who never minds cooking. :lovestruc We go out to eat on birthdays, our anniversary, on vacation, and occasionally when he works a lot of OT and wants a break.

I'd been doing pretty well (relatively speaking), but then my car broke down, now I need new tires and a couple repairs around the house that might not be able to wait, AND my property tax went way up (more than expected) because of the ridiculous market (I'm still fighting it). So I'm going from having nearly caught up on everything but the mortgage to having to go thousands of dollars into debt.

i would be in for that thread. i think for for far too many people who achieve debt freedom be it in it's entirety (home, auto, credit cards, student loans...) or in part (one or more categories) there's a slippery slope back into the pit of debt. i've seen it far too many times with people wanting to celebrate with a big vacation or purchase but rather than waiting to cash flow it by saving up they end up right back in debt and complaining about the monthly payments. i will admit it's tempting when you pay off your mortgage and have that nice big chunk of monthly change all to yourself but learning to change spending and saving habits can lead to re-experiencing that amazing feeling you have at payoff via going on that dream vacation but not paying for it after the fact, buying those home furnishings and only spending the cost on the invoice vs. that cost and the accrued interest, being able to do home improvements and renovations that you are enjoying for years vs. paying on.

let us know if you start that thread.
I think part of this struggle depends on how one "pays off" their debt. The first time we really sat down and added it all up, we realized how much we were paying each month on interest vs. principal. :eek: We calculated how long it would take to pay off and it was overwhelming. So, we refinanced our mortgage and took out a lot of equity to pay down the credit cards.

It took a huge weight off us in our minds but we were too lazy/didn't bother to attack our mortgage with the freed up money we had at the time. We learned nothing by this mistake. We never adjusted our spending habits. To do so would have required us to examine a big mental/emotional aspect that we didn't want to face, and it creeped right back up again. This time, we knew we couldn't just turn to tapping the equity in our home. We had no choice but to change our ways, drastically cut unnecessary spending, and really take the time to pay attention of where every dollar goes. Most importantly to learn how to say "No, we can't afford it." We eventually learned how to say that to others, each other, and ourselves.

This is why I equate it to losing weight. The quick fix, such as diet pills or liposuction, doesn't really require one to change the habits that created the problem, so it will return eventually. Losing weight the slower way, changing diet and exercise habits, will work better in the long term. Once you've changed your habits for so long, as in years and years, it becomes ingrained and it's not such a hardship to follow. It becomes a way of life. So too with financial habits of wanting more and more and learning to live within your means.

After a while, it's not such a challenge, just simply a matter of following our path and hoping Murphy stays away, but knowing that he won't. When things break or need replacing, we redirect our snowball toward replenishing the savings that we used to cover the emergency, and then return to our snowball goal. In late summer/early fall, we redirect our snowball to saving for Christmas, then quickly return to our snowball goal.

Not having any debt to slow us down in achieving each goal is still very motivating for me. I treat each financial goal as if it's still part of Baby Step 2 (debt pay down) even though it's simply earmarked savings.

For us what worked in our favor is that we already had the big trip planned and the timing was good in that it gave us several months after the mortgage was done to save up for the trip before it happened so we never had to worry about not being able to pay off any charges we made related to the trip. Even if the timing didn't work out as it did, I would have delayed paying extra on the mortgage several months more in advance, so that I could save for the cruise. IIRC, we also had the option to use a Discover card 0% BT check which would have cost us a couple hundred in fees but could easily be paid off in the 12 month promo period.

The snowball method still works for me because I still maintain each week, that list of bills that our paycheck would have gone to that week if we still had the debt. It constantly reminds me of how far we've come, exactly how our snowball grew so large. It wasn't a big raise that did it; it was all of those other debts, requiring part of our paychecks, to be eliminated.

Last edited:
Just a fun share... newest mouseketeer arrived April 7th. It's a girl! We didn't find out ahead of time. About everyone thought boy based on how I carried, morning sickness, etc. The only thing that fit was lots of heartburn meaning lots of hair! Got a ways to grow into that hat.

View attachment 664863

View attachment 664864
She’s beautiful. Congratulations!

Last edited:
Just a fun share... newest mouseketeer arrived April 7th. It's a girl! We didn't find out ahead of time. About everyone thought boy based on how I carried, morning sickness, etc. The only thing that fit was lots of heartburn meaning lots of hair! Got a ways to grow into that hat.

View attachment 664863
Congratulations!! She's precious! She'll be filling out that hat before you know it.

April Earlyish Update: Not good!

I need oil to either go down or for it to be warmer so we don't use the heat. We've had a Nest Learning Thermostat we've been waiting to try to get an electrician in to install for months and finally I was like I WILL FIGURE IT OUT MYSELF and I did!...and then the boiler wouldn't turn off. Some frantic phone calls with Google later and they THINK it's due to the system needing a C-wire, which their compatibility checker specifically said I would NOT need but..$160 for that installation on Saturday. But I'm not totally convinced that will solve the problem soooooo, that's fun. Luckily the fix is just take the display out of the thermostat and the boiler turns off. So we've basically been freezing and piling on the blankets but at least not burning oil?

We also bought a new expensive fridge. Our old fridge was, I swear, from the 80s (probably most like the 90s) and came with the house and was gross and broken in several places. It had started making alarming noises and I did a TON of research over the past year and identified the Bosch fridge I wanted then watched prices like a hawk. At a visit to our local Home Depot I found it at a $500 discount--the most I've EVER seen (usually it's $150-200 on holidays) so we bought it. And I LOVE IT! I'm hoping it will inspire us to cool more since we can easily see everything in the fridge part now (the old one had a freezer on top and I had to literally kneel down to see anything on the lower shelves so you can imagine what went forgotten) and today will be the first day that we fill it up on a grocery run so I'm pretty excited.

But basically April was $$$

Looking forward to May...nnnngh. It's so hard to not spend money you don't have, as dumb as that sounds. I would like to do some Disney Cruises over Feb and April breaks next year but $$$$$$$. My big plan before Covid hit and things got weird was that we'd do a cruise in August and hit WDW for a couple days before school started as a yearly tradition but I keep not winning the lottery what is up with that.

I DID get a small raise at work (and another yearly one will kick in in July) which is nice. Now I just need my husband to find a better job that pays more than what he's doing now. He had a REALLY great interview...but tomorrow it will be two weeks since that happened so excitement has been replaced with disappointment as we wait for any word. No bites on anything else yet either.

Goals for next month:
-Get the Credit card under 10k. Fridge was expensive. Girls started lacrosse and needed equipment. I dread camp fees here soon. I should get my last paycheck for my 2nd and 3rd job in May so I'm hoping that is enough to knock it back to meet this goal.
-YNAB is caught up and this leads to the next one:
-Eat out less. To actually have it show me each month how much we spend on eating out is SUPER DEPRESSING! We're going to try to have May be a No Eating Out month with the exception that the kids get McDonalds on Thursdays after their dance class (basically the bribe to make them want to go).
-Start 529...I'm thinking this is probably a 'see how hard camp fees hit us first' thing. It's the first year both kids will be doing camps.

April Earlyish Update: Not good!

I need oil to either go down or for it to be warmer so we don't use the heat. We've had a Nest Learning Thermostat we've been waiting to try to get an electrician in to install for months and finally I was like I WILL FIGURE IT OUT MYSELF and I did!...and then the boiler wouldn't turn off. Some frantic phone calls with Google later and they THINK it's due to the system needing a C-wire, which their compatibility checker specifically said I would NOT need but..$160 for that installation on Saturday. But I'm not totally convinced that will solve the problem soooooo, that's fun. Luckily the fix is just take the display out of the thermostat and the boiler turns off. So we've basically been freezing and piling on the blankets but at least not burning oil?

We also bought a new expensive fridge. Our old fridge was, I swear, from the 80s (probably most like the 90s) and came with the house and was gross and broken in several places. It had started making alarming noises and I did a TON of research over the past year and identified the Bosch fridge I wanted then watched prices like a hawk. At a visit to our local Home Depot I found it at a $500 discount--the most I've EVER seen (usually it's $150-200 on holidays) so we bought it. And I LOVE IT! I'm hoping it will inspire us to cool more since we can easily see everything in the fridge part now (the old one had a freezer on top and I had to literally kneel down to see anything on the lower shelves so you can imagine what went forgotten) and today will be the first day that we fill it up on a grocery run so I'm pretty excited.

But basically April was $$$

Looking forward to May...nnnngh. It's so hard to not spend money you don't have, as dumb as that sounds. I would like to do some Disney Cruises over Feb and April breaks next year but $$$$$$$. My big plan before Covid hit and things got weird was that we'd do a cruise in August and hit WDW for a couple days before school started as a yearly tradition but I keep not winning the lottery what is up with that.

I DID get a small raise at work (and another yearly one will kick in in July) which is nice. Now I just need my husband to find a better job that pays more than what he's doing now. He had a REALLY great interview...but tomorrow it will be two weeks since that happened so excitement has been replaced with disappointment as we wait for any word. No bites on anything else yet either.

Goals for next month:
-Get the Credit card under 10k. Fridge was expensive. Girls started lacrosse and needed equipment. I dread camp fees here soon. I should get my last paycheck for my 2nd and 3rd job in May so I'm hoping that is enough to knock it back to meet this goal.
-YNAB is caught up and this leads to the next one:
-Eat out less. To actually have it show me each month how much we spend on eating out is SUPER DEPRESSING! We're going to try to have May be a No Eating Out month with the exception that the kids get McDonalds on Thursdays after their dance class (basically the bribe to make them want to go).
-Start 529...I'm thinking this is probably a 'see how hard camp fees hit us first' thing. It's the first year both kids will be doing camps.

If you have to bribe them to go to dance is it worth the extra cost? Or is it that they enjoy it but have other things they'd rather do?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter