DEBATE: When would you jettison ABC?

Galahad

.....an appointment
If you were to replace ME (maybe we should do that thread again ;) ), how much longer would you try to make ABC work for DIS before you tried to unload it?

The network can be a great asset as long as you put shows on people want to watch. CBS,NBC,FOX and WB aren't in business to loose money, they are making money. ABC just needs to steal the right people and put out a better fall line-up.

scoop,

I've noticed that too. I think Scrubs, which is very popular for NBC, is a Disney product. What goes into the decision about where to market a studio's shows? Other shows, like Fox's Dharma and Greg, were good shows that ABC just couldn't get to go. It does seem like something is fundamentally wrong there.

I’ve been trying to track down the involvement of Disney with ‘Scrubs’ and all I can see is that they are simply the distributor of the show. That’s much like the Bruckheimer produced ‘CSI’ shows, Disney’s involvement is more contractual than it’s creative or even financial. Most of the deals for network television are more complex than anything Enron, Global Crossing and Worldcom could dream up at their height, so figuring out who own which rights to which shows and for how much is all but impossible.

The shows that Disney produces and owns are on ABC. Well, they used to. Most of them were cancelled. And the word around town is that none of ABC’s new fall shows will last more than 12 episodes.

If you were to replace ME (maybe we should do that thread again ), how much longer would you try to make ABC work for DIS before you tried to unload it?

Assuming I had the talent/ability to run a network, or I had somebody on board who could, I'd be willing to keep it for another year at least. If the pipeline is still dry, it will take at least that long to make a dent.

However, as concern grows that the earnings are becoming less and less able to hold up the debt load, there may not be a choice but to find somebody willing to get a network from a motivated seller...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter