DDPers of "the world" unite, have the tip removed for bad service.

wilde_oscar

DIS Veteran
This will be a long post as I feel the need to cover all the various glib, kneejerk defenses that people counter post defending bad service.

I know good service from bad service… I worked in a fine dinning establishment in my college days. Around $100 per person before including alcohol on the check. I made good money in tips, enough to avoid massive student loan debt at one of the most expensive bastions of upper learning in the U.S. I have traveled the world on an expense account, and have eaten in fine dinning establishments the world over. I write reviews for the local alternative newspaper for both local restaurants and restaurants I frequent in my travels. I know good service from bad.

Example of good service… Sat. morning before starting shopping and errands, we stopped into IHOP. We ordered breakfast, which is normally quick get in and get out. After about 10 min. of waiting on food, the server told us while warming up coffee that the kitchen was backed up, so there would be a slight wait for breakfast. She kept the coffee warm, and let us know about the delay. Good service, bad kitchen… she earned the tip on service which I would happily pay, but it will be a few months before we might return as the kitchen was slow (1/2 hour before we got our meal after ordering).

Bad Service… Last year we ate at Boma after a day at AK. 9pm reservations we were seated at about 9:10p. I have meds I take so I was waiting on the server to come by so I could get water. She went right into trying to pad the bill by asking what refreshments she could get us from the bar. I told her I just need a glass of water to take some pills. She disappears for 10 min.; when she comes back it is obvious she forgot the water, I am sitting and waiting. I have not got up to take part in the buffet, and at this point I already know she is not in the weeds, she is not backed up, she is pissed I ordered water and not an alcoholic beverage. If ya eat out enough, you can feel the vibe. This is the point where people want to make excuses, nope not gonna hear it none fit. If you are waiting on water to take a pill, you pay close attention to what is going on. She just did not wanna provide service for a table that was not, as she perceived, going to pad her pocket further by running up a bar tab. She never cleared plates not once. She disappeared with our card for 45 min. before bringing the bill for me to sign. How is contacting a manager going to fix this? The damage is done, the cows are out of the barn. The only recourse left is no tip. Well with DDP automagicly adding 18% and a tired spouse that just wanted to goto bed, I signed even though it galled me to do so. Trying to have it corrected would have been a lengthy conversation with a manager that had had a long day as well, since it was free DDP there was no way in hell they would comp the meal, and sleep was more appealing then spending another 45 min. waiting on a manager and have to explain what happened and why service at a buffet, that only involves getting drinks and clearing plates, was lousy.

So all that said, you can have your own opinion on providing a living wage, on always tipping 20%, on the fact that you have never gotten lousy service at WDW while on DDP, you can side with the waitress saying that I am ill mannered and must have done something wrong, you can attack me and say that some people never have fun and always get lousy service… feel free to flame, I am a big boy I can take it. What you were not, is there. We received fantastic service at 14 of our 16 table service meals. Two of which we left a tip in the 100% range as the service was that good (Breakfastasouras, ask for Mikeasouras; Le Cellier, a restaurant that gets it right consistently and yes a 100% tip was a healthy chunk of change). With out getting into a lot of fundamentals of economics, and what fundamentally drives people… the quickest way to register that the service was bad, is to not tip. I paid for DDP, even during the low season when DDP is free you are paying for it. Let no one assume that Disney is loosing money on this proposition. It’s my money, and if I do not wanna tip for lousy service, well gosh darn it, remove the tip… I do not want to have to hunt down a manager (earlier in the week at Tony’s we got lousy service and I had to wait in a line to complain, two people ahead of me complaining about service, hmmm so it was just me huh?) recant the story, and go though a long sob story of apology or explanation… it is a waste of time when leaving no tip pretty much sums it up.

I applaud that the tip is being removed from DDP, and further I am excited that the majority of people think it will no longer be worth it and will dine off site. Guess what, that will thin the heard of the bad servers. That is really how the economics of the situation will pan out. Ask an economics professor at your local community college.

As for this years trip, forewarned is forearmed… as a customer group, IF (there is not assumption that all service is bad) you receive bad service for a DDP meal, ask the manager to remove the tip. All this bunk about that it cannot be done… bogus (the union are not the ones paying the check, even if they add it back in, etc. I was to sign a tab with no tip added). Some one, somewhere cares that the guest received poor service, and once enough people make it clear that poor service will not be tolerated… oh wait a tic, the rumor is that the tip will be removed next season? Well I’ll be darned, the servers will have to earn the tip each and every table, each and every guest… maybe someone was listening to my rants this past year.

So if the guests can remove the tip for bad service, can the servers remove the guests for being cheap and clueless? And while we are at it, can the guests be chastised for not tending to their kids, being rude, not using their table manners, and not saying please and thank you? If so, I would like to sign up and be a server again! :thumbsup2

So if the guests can remove the tip for bad service, can the servers remove the guests for being cheap and clueless? And while we are at it, can the guests be chastised for not tending to their kids, being rude, not using their table manners, and not saying please and thank you? If so, I would like to sign up and be a server again! :thumbsup2

No, because the server chose this line of work and all the cranky kids and bad tippers that come with it. I'm a big believer in 'If you don't like the rules, don't play the game'. If you want a guaranteed wage, go work at WalMart. You wont make much, but it's steady honest work. If you decide you want the great income potential that comes with serving, you gotta play by the rules and realise every so often, you might get shafted.

Just my little ol' opinion, of course. :rolleyes1

Edited to add: Don't get me wrong! I know serving is hard work. I always tip at least 20% unless the service is absolutely heinous, in which case I go down to about 12-15%. I can only think of doing this one time in my adult life. My only point was that when you take a service-industry job, you have to play by the rules and unfortunately your customers often don't.

Run your business, and treat the customers however you would like... but this is not a two way street. Servers know what they are in for when they take the job... you made your choice. I could have poodles jumping though hoops on my table, I could yell bloody murder for everything when you come to the table... guess what, if you want that tip, you better take it with a simle... or quit. Again people miss the point here... forcing me to tip 18% for bad service is the point.

But you do have a choice yenta... you can choose not to take the job, not to take the table, or to walk out. Love that screen name by the way.

No, because the server chose this line of work and all the cranky kids and bad tippers that come with it. I'm a big believer in 'If you don't like the rules, don't play the game'. If you want a guaranteed wage, go work at WalMart. You wont make much, but it's steady honest work. If you decide you want the great income potential that comes with serving, you gotta play by the rules and realise every so often, you might get shafted.

Just my little ol' opinion, of course. :rolleyes1

I served for many years and am well aware of the "shaft" potential. I just think if one doesn't have to play by the rules why should the other? It's part of the game. Your post just solidifies why gratuity is and should remain added. :thumbsup2

Signed,
A very well educated former server. :goodvibes

Let’s just say it is possible from an accounting standpoint to deny the tip when using the Disney Dining Plan. Where do you think the allocated money goes instead?

At this point, the Disney Bottom line... and I am fine with that. As a stock holder I was Disney to maximize profits with out sacrificing service. Guess that means taking the automagic tip out of the process.

Well, good. At least you're being reasonable about it :)

By the way, even now you can write to Disney with the details of your bad service experience, including the time/date, and the server's name. Just as good comments go into the CM's file to be considered when it's time for a review or promotion, so do bad comments. At the time is better, of course - but you've already explained why you didn't want to waste MORE time locating a manager.

Rentayenta, can you sign me up too!! If something made me that upset that I needed to retract a tip that was not coming from my pocket, I would speak to the manager. In regards to this bad service being linked to the DDP, then how do you account for 14 (2 outstanding) experiences? As a matter of fact what do you blame your bad service any where else in your travels on? Instead of being a restaurant critic I enjoy going out of my way to be a good customer, the results are usually excellent ,if not I just don't return. Writng negative reviews, complaining, not leaving any tip...is another approach.
I should admit economics are not my thing. I am more of a philosophy, ethics lady.
If they do remove the tip I would still use the DDP & I do not believe you will find the restaurants any different. Which is a good thing IMHO!!:goodvibes

To the OP ---- :thumbsup2 ! I agree. I have never waited tables, I went the retail route instead. I wanted a guaranteed number on my paycheck, so I made a choice. As a grown up, I tip well - when it is deserved. I have no problems tipping accordingly.

If the tip is removed, the company is responsible to supply it to the cast member anyway. It's part of their union contract. Its called a guest inconvenicnce and the tip is added to the cm's paycheck. My dear friend gave up her degree in accounting 18 years ago to serve full-time at disney and makes a great living in three days of work, opting to give her fourth day away to have more time with ther kids and still maintains her full-time hour requirements, keeping her full benefit package. She works double shifts at the castle and does very well and does not regret giving up her degree and was able to pay off student loans in one year serving there.
Although the servers are mixed about having the 18% POSSIBLY removed from ddp for next contract, the servers who give consistiently great service are not concerned, they know it will work out. They are also glad because it will allow the usual diners to come back to the restaurants again. Those diners have been blocked out of dining because ddp takes up all the adr's. DDP worked well for the company financially yet it also turned many into lazy servers and let the cream of the crop rise as you witnessed at le cellier-vs- boma.
DDP also brought in diners who were clueless about dining and my friend said she still treated them the same, gave great service, yet they were just rude, children running, hitting, and said it was the most disturbing behaviour she had seen. This mostly happened during the free ddp(late summer). She said she would have rather not had the extra business from them and would have done just as well financially with the usual guests that use to come at that time who did have dining etiquette. Although she remained professional and PROVIDED immaculate service, she said it was hard daily to deal with the actions of the kids hitting, throwing, screming, the leaving of dirty diapers under tables etc, and, being asked over and over for SUweeeet tea, and asked what is a "Phill it min yawn??" I felt for her as i once served there and we are still good friends and yes i get the great discounts from her since she is a cast member, so i can't complain, but her stories that i mentioned above had me rolling on the floor laughing when we would talk over the phone. 21 days til disney for me...YAY!!! So having it removed does nothing. the cm still gets the 18% gratuity on their check just as if nothing happened.:grouphug:

Run your business, and treat the customers however you would like... but this is not a two way street. Servers know what they are in for when they take the job... you made your choice. I could have poodles jumping though hoops on my table, I could yell bloody murder for everything when you come to the table... guess what, if you want that tip, you better take it with a simle... or quit. Again people miss the point here... forcing me to tip 18% for bad service is the point.

But you do have a choice yenta... you can choose not to take the job, not to take the table, or to walk out. Love that screen name by the way.

As a former server, ask yourself if your self respect is worth 18 percent of someones dinner bill. Mine never was, "smile through it" this coming from someone whose vacation was "colored" by having to wait to long? How are you affecting other peoples day w/ that attitude? I do not look at being a customer as a position of power.:rolleyes1

What is being lost here is that "good service" does not have a universal definition. Even the most miserbale and cheap souls wouldn't and don't recognize good service when it's presented to them. For some people, you can never be good enough. The wait is never short enough, their glass is never full enough, their portions are never large enough, and the server doesn't kiss their **** enough.

Servers are real people folks not mindless entities. They deserve your respect.
The lack of humanity here saddens me. :sad2:

:thumbsup2

What is being lost here is that "good service" does not have a universal definition. Even the most miserbale and cheap souls wouldn't and don't recognize good service when it's presented to them. For some people, you can never be good enough. The wait is never short enough, their glass is never full enough, their portions are never large enough, and the server doesn't kiss their **** enough.

Servers are real people folks not mindless entities. They deserve your respect.
The lack of humanity here saddens me. :sad2:

I made good money in tips, enough to avoid massive student loan debt at one of the most expensive bastions of upper learning in the U.S. I have traveled the world on an expense account, and have eaten in fine dinning establishments the world over. I write reviews for the local alternative newspaper for both local restaurants and restaurants I frequent in my travels.

I am not nor have ever been a server, but as a fellow writer I would like to extend a little professional courtesy; it's dining and losing, not 'dinning' and 'loosing'. I hope that bastion of upper learning wasn't that expensive! ;)

I always tip according to service. If the service sucks, my tip will suck. But to me sucking is 15%. I know they have a tough job and "knowing what you got yourself into" doesn't sway me very much in this particular case. If the server is downright rude, then I would let him/her know by tipping a nickel or something. I can forgive impatience and even incompetence. I'm not a fan of rudeness. That said, it didn't bother me that the DDP had the 18% gratuity included in its price. I don't know why, it just wasn't that big a deal to me.

I've never had a server get pissed at me for ordering water as opposed to an alcoholic beverage. I cook my own meals so I will admit I don't eat out very often, but every time I do eat out I only order water or lemonade (since I don't drink alcohol or soda), and I have yet to get a server pissed at me. :confused3

I've only had great service at WDW (with the exception of one dinner at L Originale in Italy), so I am a little bummed that gratuity will no longer be included. But to each his own I guess!

As a former server, ask yourself if your self respect is worth 18 percent of someones dinner bill. Mine never was, "smile through it" this coming from someone whose vacation was "colored" by having to wait to long? How are you affecting other peoples day w/ that attitude? I do not look at being a customer as a position of power.:rolleyes1

Vacation colored? We are talking serious post traumatic stress disorder!

:thumbsup2 If the worst thing about my day was that I had to wait longer than the quoted time or my water glass was empty, I would consider that I pretty good day. Let's face it, some people take out their miserable and cheap existence on the easy and available victim. :sad2:

If people keep experiencing bad service, at some point they have to ask themselves what part are they playing in that equasion?! The common denominator is the patron, not the server!

My rationale when waiting on miserable and unsatisfiable guests was that at least I only had to deal with them for an hour; they have to live with themselves forever! :rotfl: :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter