DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

Just got a call from my best employee. He wanted to wait for me to return to the office to talk in person, but he has accepted an offer to take another position doing something completely different starting the first of the year. It's one of those deals where I don't blame him. It's a great opportunity for him, doesn't pay much more than he's making now, but he can set his own schedule and will have more flexibility. I'm not upset with him, but man, it really sucks. He said they offered him in September, but he didn't want to leave us at harvest (our busiest time of year) but they offered again and sweetened the deal. He at least wants to stay through the holidays and help us through some vacation time that some of us have scheduled.

Now I just hope our GM at the corporate office takes it as well as I took it. The last 2 people in the company who turned in their 2 weeks, he flew off the handle, told them to pack their crap and leave. And I'm one of the people with vacation scheduled around Christmas.

The following is approximately how that went.

ME: ahhh...blinds closed, room dark, comfy bed, nice and relaxed, now time for a little sleep
BRAIN: hey, how's it going? Are you sure you turned off the oven after lunch?
ME: Yes, it's off. I think. No, yes, it is.
BRAIN: OK cool. Hey, you know tomorrow is garbage day. Remember that half used green pepper in the fridge. It's probably funky by now. You should throw it out.
ME: Yeah, I'll get right on that tomorrow. Garbage day.
BRAIN: Man, you remember that crazy dog that lived next door when you were 12. I haven't thought about that in years. I don't know how I went from green pepper to crazy dog.
ME: I don't either, but can you stop? I'm trying to sleep for a couple hours. I have to work all night, you know.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2:

It's funny because it's true. Just remember the wisdom of Homer Simpson:

"Shut up, Brain, before I stab you with a Q-tip!"

Time for another cup of tea (these are the rare times I wish I liked coffee because it seems like a much better waker upper than tea)

I didn't drink coffee for 30 years. Hated it. Couldn't understand why people would even touch it. Then my son was born, and he didn't sleep for 6 months.

Now I'm addicted to coffee. It was an acquired taste for sure, and I used to put a ton of sugar in it, but I've slowly weaned myself down over the years.

I often don't sleep before a night shift, but on the last night shift, I tried... I really did.
Then the doorbell rang, setting the dogs off. I thought "Package. Someone will pick it up and the dogs will quiet down." Nope. Knock followed shortly after. Dogs barking more. Then the doorbell rang again. Dogs now going berserk. No one answering the door. I get up. It's pizza delivery. No one ordered pizza. (Dude didn't have the decency to just leave it with us anyways.)
Okay... I'll try to sleep again... Okay... just starting to fall asleep. Might get an hour... And then DW, who was in bed on her phone, decides it's time for her to put away her phone and charge it. She rolls over towards the end table... yanking all the blankets off me.

Wait, random people just send you pizzas? I knew Canadians were nice, but that's way above and beyond the call of duty.

Mine are usually wake up at 3:30 am for no apparent reason or woken up by the dog. Then tossing and turning until my alarm at 5am.

I love the waking up for no reason whatsoever. Usually in the middle of an amazing dream involving Hayley Atwe--

Um, involving me hitting the game-winning home run. Yeah.

Just got a call from my best employee. He wanted to wait for me to return to the office to talk in person, but he has accepted an offer to take another position doing something completely different starting the first of the year. It's one of those deals where I don't blame him. It's a great opportunity for him, doesn't pay much more than he's making now, but he can set his own schedule and will have more flexibility. I'm not upset with him, but man, it really sucks. He said they offered him in September, but he didn't want to leave us at harvest (our busiest time of year) but they offered again and sweetened the deal. He at least wants to stay through the holidays and help us through some vacation time that some of us have scheduled.

Now I just hope our GM at the corporate office takes it as well as I took it. The last 2 people in the company who turned in their 2 weeks, he flew off the handle, told them to pack their crap and leave. And I'm one of the people with vacation scheduled around Christmas.

Sounds like you're a much better boss than the GM. I never hold any grudges against someone for improving their situation in life. It's their life and their career. If you hire good people they should move on and up in the world.

Your employee sounds like a genuinely good man, conscientious of how leaving would affect you. He didn't have to stay on like that through the harvest. Hope he does well.

Have you ever tried a light roast coffee?
I think, many years ago, probably in university. I loaded it down with a ton of sugar and I could get through it, but didn't really like it.
DW did (and I am not sure why) pick me up a Starbucks seaosnal coffee a couple weeks ago, oat sugar cookie latte or something like that. I actually didnt mind it, but it tasted more like a sugar cookie and I suspect that it was higher on the sugar/syrup percentage than the coffee. I didn't enjoy it enough to go to $ixbucks for it.

What's up, fellas? Finally Friday! I have a Christmas Parade I'm marching in with my VFW post, supposed to be, we'll see. Apparently there's some rain coming for this weekend, so it may be moved, butg we'll see. Well, that's it. Have a good day, gents!

TTFN

I am completely familiar with this chain of events.
I often don't sleep before a night shift, but on the last night shift, I tried... I really did.
Then the doorbell rang, setting the dogs off. I thought "Package. Someone will pick it up and the dogs will quiet down." Nope. Knock followed shortly after. Dogs barking more. Then the doorbell rang again. Dogs now going berserk. No one answering the door. I get up. It's pizza delivery. No one ordered pizza. (Dude didn't have the decency to just leave it with us anyways.)
Okay... I'll try to sleep again... Okay... just starting to fall asleep. Might get an hour... And then DW, who was in bed on her phone, decides it's time for her to put away her phone and charge it. She rolls over towards the end table... yanking all the blankets off me.

I gave up at that point.

While that sucks, I would have kept the pizza. I mean, you would have had to pay for it, but still....dinner.

I hear that. I don't drink tea or coffee. Can make for some long nights.

I just started drinking coffee to help cut down on my soda intake, and like light roast. I did try French Vanilla once.

Wow! Nice score!

I know, right? Got lucky.

They're not cheap. I set one up in the basement, but... you really need a dedicated space. It's okay in a pinch, but...

I know, and that's what keeps me from having one. If I had a house big enough to have a studio that would be great, but I don't. I've often thought of setting one up in the garage, which would work in the summer, but winter? Nah, too cold.

...yeah, that's the issue. Setting up and taking down takes longer than a photo shoot.

Mhmmm. Takes too long.

Nope.
I just lost my 3 day weekend. Now my weekend starts on Sunday... and I wouldn't be overly surprised if I got called in to work either Sunday or Monday.

Ok, how'd you lose your 3 day weekend? You forgot where you put it, didn't you? See what happens when you misplace your long weekend?

Oh man, that stinks, but at least you're cool about it.

Last edited:

Too bad you can't just not tell him until after your vacation. Hope it works out.
Wait, random people just send you pizzas? I knew Canadians were nice, but that's way above and beyond the call of duty.
You mean this doesn't happen to you once or twice a week???

Actually, I've actually thought of this happening, but... it was a first for me.
Still wonder if someone is wondering where their pizza is.
While that sucks, I would have kept the pizza. I mean, you would have had to pay for it, but still....dinner.
Nah. Just wanted sleep. Didn't get it.
I know, and that's what keeps me from having one. If I had a house big enough to have a studio that would be great, but I don't. I've often thought of setting one up in the garage, which would work in the summer, but winter? Nah, too cold.
My house is big enough, well... the basement is, but...
Ok, how'd you lose your 3 day weekend? You forgot where you put it, didn't you? See what happens when you misplace your long weekend?
My supervisor lost it.

And the drama (which I can't talk about (yet)) at work just ramped up to a whole new level. :sad2:

Good morning.

Maybe some good news on the employee leaving. He talked to the GM yesterday afternoon to let him know. Sounds like it went well. The GM just told him that "they" want to talk about it - meaning the upper management team. I'm sure they likely want to make him a counter offer because he really is that good of an employee and has been undervalued. I'm not sure they realize it isn't even about the money as much as it is the flexibility and just wanting to do something different. But at least this means they'll hopefully let him finish out the year.

You mean this doesn't happen to you once or twice a week???

I wish.

Still wonder if someone is wondering where their pizza is.

They're going to get free pizzas for life at this rate.

My supervisor lost it.

And the drama (which I can't talk about (yet)) at work just ramped up to a whole new level. :sad2:

Well...there is some tea to be spilled here, for sure.

Good morning.

Maybe some good news on the employee leaving. He talked to the GM yesterday afternoon to let him know. Sounds like it went well. The GM just told him that "they" want to talk about it - meaning the upper management team. I'm sure they likely want to make him a counter offer because he really is that good of an employee and has been undervalued. I'm not sure they realize it isn't even about the money as much as it is the flexibility and just wanting to do something different. But at least this means they'll hopefully let him finish out the year.
Hopefully it'll work out that he, and by extension everyone, benefits.
They're going to get free pizzas for life at this rate.
This is not altogether a bad thing.
An ongoing saga that has spanned 2 years so far... :sad2:

Morning chaps from a overcast and grey London. Booster jab yesterday, so my arm feels a bit dead, but apart from that, all good. Hopefully this paves the way for my upcoming travel.

I think, many years ago, probably in university. I loaded it down with a ton of sugar and I could get through it, but didn't really like it.
DW did (and I am not sure why) pick me up a Starbucks seaosnal coffee a couple weeks ago, oat sugar cookie latte or something like that. I actually didnt mind it, but it tasted more like a sugar cookie and I suspect that it was higher on the sugar/syrup percentage than the coffee. I didn't enjoy it enough to go to $ixbucks for it.
I hate those drinks. They taste like hot milkshake.
I drink Espresso, and at a massive stretch, Black filter coffee.
Sounds like you're a much better boss than the GM. I never hold any grudges against someone for improving their situation in life. It's their life and their career. If you hire good people they should move on and up in the world.

Your employee sounds like a genuinely good man, conscientious of how leaving would affect you. He didn't have to stay on like that through the harvest. Hope he does well.
This. Sounds like they have missed the boat on the guy though, maybe they should have offered him enough dough so others couldn't turn his head.

Morning folks?

Anyone want a free 14yr old dog?
She tends to want to go outside around 11:30pm and 4am and still pees on the floor anyway. Takers? Anyone?
As much as I miss our cat, I don't miss the bit when he was older (18) with the constant yowling and messing everywhere, and getting up at stoopid O'clock.
This is the mother of all teasers, I must admit.
Hopefully it doesn't turn out like the Galactic Starcruiser.

May it be short and fruitful.
Didn't have any fruit, to be honest.
I'll try and do better today.
Maybe some lemon meringue pie.

Maybe some lemon meringue pie.

Homer Pie GIFs | Tenor

Booster jab yesterday, so my arm feels a bit dead, but apart from that, all good. Hopefully this paves the way for my upcoming travel.
Got mine a couple days ago. Luckily for me, I only get a slight soreness that's almost unnoticeable.
As much as I miss our cat, I don't miss the bit when he was older (18) with the constant yowling and messing everywhere, and getting up at stoopid O'clock.
Then you feel my pain.

Mornin' all.
Working through my annual bout of holiday blues (thus the spot of quietness from my corner of the club house).
We got the vast bulk of the decorating done and the boxes and crates finally put away, and that simple thing helps my moods considerably, believe it of not. Now if I can just survive the daily grind at the office until about March or so...

Anyone want a free 14yr old dog?
She tends to want to go outside around 11:30pm and 4am and still pees on the floor anyway. Takers? Anyone?
Hate to hear that for y'all, and for the pup.
Like Dan, we went through that with each of our previous critters.
Miss 'em all (especially the last fell'a), but not having to deal with those end times.
Right now, we're a critter free house, and I've gotten old enough to where I'd kind'a like to keep it that way for a spell.
Maybe even a loooong spell.

Booster jab yesterday, so my arm feels a bit dead, but apart from that, all good.
Us too. Most have been a good day for it.
This time, it didn't make me feel quite as crappy the next day, so I must have built up a fail amount of tolerance.
considering my various neighbors general outlooks on the welfare of those that aren't themselves...
that's a good thing.

Hopefully this paves the way for my upcoming travel.
Travel would be a good thing.
Would like to do more of it myself.
Good luck on getting all the details worked out.

Ours did that yowling stuff the last several years as well.
We figured out that for him at least, it was because, he'd basically gone deaf.
He'd start that stuff to try and get someone to find him, so he'd know that he wasn't lost.

One of the great minds of out times.

Mornin' all.
Nice seeing ya again, Rob. :)
Working through my annual bout of holiday blues (thus the spot of quietness from my corner of the club house).
We got the vast bulk of the decorating done and the boxes and crates finally put away, and that simple thing helps my moods considerably, believe it of not.
:hug:
Hate to hear that for y'all, and for the pup.
Like Dan, we went through that with each of our previous critters.
Miss 'em all (especially the last fell'a), but not having to deal with those end times.
Right now, we're a critter free house, and I've gotten old enough to where I'd kind'a like to keep it that way for a spell.
Maybe even a loooong spell.
We also have a 4yr old dog, so we'll have one (hopefully) for a while yet. After that... I'm thinking no more, but... that's what we said before we got the last one.

We also have a 4yr old dog, so we'll have one (hopefully) for a while yet. After that... I'm thinking no more, but... that's what we said before we got the last one.
Yep, that's how it works. They worm their way into your sole.
Quickly...

I'd had critters in the house since I was a young'en, the my young'en is still carrying on the tradition.
Time for a break, but as you noted, I've said that before myself.

Morning boys from a sunny London. The Lady K decreed that the old tree wasn't big enough, so just sat down from a re run of the tree decorating from last week. To be fair, I agreed with her. And I'm trying to keep my nose clean for DDCC.

Then you feel my pain.
That I do my friend.

Mornin' all.
Working through my annual bout of holiday blues
Nice to hear from ya, my man. Hope the blues don't take over too much.

Would like to do more of it myself.
Good luck on getting all the details worked out
It's all locked in mate, just crossing everything that everything don't shut down again.
Our cats are only 1 and 4 years old, so I suppose I have a little ways to go before they cause more trouble then they already do.
Yeah, hopefully you've got a good few years yet. See on FB you've done the dad thing when you're not that bothered about getting pets, and end up being the favourite. It's our cross to bear.

Have a great day chaps.

Afternoon Gents,

crazy and controversial end to the F1 season this morning, well actually the result isn't official yet so we'll see what happens.

Now it's on to football.

Have a great Sunday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter