DCL --> RCL: a Review

MamaMermaid

DIS Veteran
I know there are a lot of these but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in...

We are seasoned DCL folks -- platinum Castaway Club members -- who decided to try the Symphony of the Seas this past weekend. Travel party included: me, hubby, my mom (mid 60s), and our son (6.5). There were some things I thought RCL did BETTER than Disney but ultimately, we'd choose DCL moving forward.

The Good:
1. The Food -- honestly, the food in the buffet and the Main Dining Room was better than Disney, I think. We also ate at Wonderland and that was delicious too.
2. CocoCay -- wow! This island is amazing. Love the splash pad and the pool. The trams were also so nice and much easier than the one at Castaway Cay.
3. The Shows -- we saw HiRo (the water show) and the ice skating show. Hairspray was too late for my little guy so we skipped it. They were really engaging, unique, and fun. I love DCL's quality but since we sail so often, the shows get repetitive and sometimes we just skip...
3. ROBOT BAR -- enough said. My kid was enchanted :laughing:
4. Laser Tag -- literally so much fun! Wish we had been able to do it more than once.
5. The rooms -- the cabins felt bigger. I don't know if they actually are or not.

The Bad:
1. The theming -- I didn't love the neighborhoods and different sections of the ship. It really just felt like I was at a big hotel... maybe Vegas? I never felt like I was on a ship.
2. Smoking -- so stinky.
3. Balcony overlooking Central Park/high floor close to pool -- music played until 10:30pm... and it wasn't always good music, lol. I guess I'm an old grump.
4. Crew -- just not as overly friendly as DCL. :confused3
5. The bed -- felt like I was sleeping on a rock. Again, old grump? Maybe.
6. Generally dirtier -- tons of cups left behind, people didn't seem to pick up their trash and/or crew didn't clean it up as much as DCL.

Overall, we prefer the VIBES of DCL but I can understand why RCL meets the needs of the average/general cruiser. If I hadn't been on a Disney cruise, I imagine I'd think RCL was awesome!

I know there are a lot of these but I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in...

We are seasoned DCL folks -- platinum Castaway Club members -- who decided to try the Symphony of the Seas this past weekend. Travel party included: me, hubby, my mom (mid 60s), and our son (6.5). There were some things I thought RCL did BETTER than Disney but ultimately, we'd choose DCL moving forward.

The Good:
1. The Food -- honestly, the food in the buffet and the Main Dining Room was better than Disney, I think. We also ate at Wonderland and that was delicious too.
2. CocoCay -- wow! This island is amazing. Love the splash pad and the pool. The trams were also so nice and much easier than the one at Castaway Cay.
3. The Shows -- we saw HiRo (the water show) and the ice skating show. Hairspray was too late for my little guy so we skipped it. They were really engaging, unique, and fun. I love DCL's quality but since we sail so often, the shows get repetitive and sometimes we just skip...
3. ROBOT BAR -- enough said. My kid was enchanted :laughing:
4. Laser Tag -- literally so much fun! Wish we had been able to do it more than once.
5. The rooms -- the cabins felt bigger. I don't know if they actually are or not.

The Bad:
1. The theming -- I didn't love the neighborhoods and different sections of the ship. It really just felt like I was at a big hotel... maybe Vegas? I never felt like I was on a ship.
2. Smoking -- so stinky.
3. Balcony overlooking Central Park/high floor close to pool -- music played until 10:30pm... and it wasn't always good music, lol. I guess I'm an old grump.
4. Crew -- just not as overly friendly as DCL. :confused3
5. The bed -- felt like I was sleeping on a rock. Again, old grump? Maybe.
6. Generally dirtier -- tons of cups left behind, people didn't seem to pick up their trash and/or crew didn't clean it up as much as DCL.

Overall, we prefer the VIBES of DCL but I can understand why RCL meets the needs of the average/general cruiser. If I hadn't been on a Disney cruise, I imagine I'd think RCL was awesome!
We are seasoned cruisers with just having finished cruise number 87 (7 day Alaskan RCL) and I agree 100% with your points. We are all things Disney obsessed (we live in Tampa and practically LIVE at WDW), annual passholders, DVC and Adventures by Disney members, Disney credit card, etc.....you name it Disney related.....we belong to it!!! With all that being said, the majority of our cruises have been with RCL and we have yet to be disappointed! The biggest difference for us is obviously the pricing. Our kids are not little anymore and although we LOVE DCL, we now prefer RCL. (However we are booked on a DCL cruise for next spring break on the Treasure and can't wait! In our minds, any cruise is a GREAT cruise! However, no one can beat DCL in soooooo many ways! We simply can't afford to cruise as much as we do if we were to always sail DCL.

We are seasoned cruisers with just having finished cruise number 87 (7 day Alaskan RCL) and I agree 100% with your points. We are all things Disney obsessed (we live in Tampa and practically LIVE at WDW), annual passholders, DVC and Adventures by Disney members, Disney credit card, etc.....you name it Disney related.....we belong to it!!! With all that being said, the majority of our cruises have been with RCL and we have yet to be disappointed! The biggest difference for us is obviously the pricing. Our kids are not little anymore and although we LOVE DCL, we now prefer RCL. (However we are booked on a DCL cruise for next spring break on the Treasure and can't wait! In our minds, any cruise is a GREAT cruise! However, no one can beat DCL in soooooo many ways! We simply can't afford to cruise as much as we do if we were to always sail DCL.
Agree with this. We are almost in the same position except that additionally we actually live very close to WDW. Yes, we are huge Disney fans. We are DCL Platinum having sailed on all 5 ships. But we are also fans of Royal having attained Diamond+ status with them. Our most recent cruise was on Royal. But...our next two booked cruises are on Disney. One to see the new Lighthouse Point and the other to experience the new Treasure. The pricing difference is significant to us as retired people living on a fixed income.

Agree with this. We are almost in the same position except that additionally we actually live very close to WDW. Yes, we are huge Disney fans. We are DCL Platinum having sailed on all 5 ships. But we are also fans of Royal having attained Diamond+ status with them. Our most recent cruise was on Royal. But...our next two booked cruises are on Disney. One to see the new Lighthouse Point and the other to experience the new Treasure. The pricing difference is significant to us as retired people living on a fixed income.

Wondering if you are Interior Cabin Cruisers?? :scratchin If too personal I apologize and never mind.

Wondering if you are Interior Cabin Cruisers?? :scratchin If too personal I apologize and never mind.
Not too personal. We are actually the totally opposite sailing in suites on RCL and sometimes concierge of DCL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter