DCL- 3rd Ship???

D

DiSnEyGrL13

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about Disney Cruise Line Expandng to a 3rd Ship that would go to either Alaska or the Meditteranian? Some people that I talked to said yes and others said no. Just wondering!

About three years ago, my DVC rep mentioned something about a third ship that was narrow enough to navigate the Panama Canal. I haven't heard anything since...

Originally posted by DiSnEyGrL13
I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about Disney Cruise Line Expandng to a 3rd Ship that would go to either Alaska or the Meditteranian? Some people that I talked to said yes and others said no. Just wondering!

See http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=210717

There plenty of rumors that a new ship is already under construction, but the reality seems to be that DCL is only working on plans so far -- and those plans may or may not turn into new ships.

Until Disney contracts with a shipyard (which would be big news that could not be kept secret), it's too early to count on a fleet expansion.

In January, I was told that the 3rd ship was green lighted. I am not sure when construction is due to begin, but here is what I know so far.

The Wonder will head over to the Pacific with the route undetermined as of yet.

The new ship, will end up working the Wonder's current route. The new ship will be named "Disney Dreams".

This is what I heard from CM's on the ship in Jan. I hope that this is true, becuase I would love to do a Disney Pacific cruise.

Originally posted by JonetteA
This is what I heard from CM's on the ship in Jan. I hope that this is true, becuase I would love to do a Disney Pacific cruise.
Unfortunately, cast member rumors on the seas are no more reliable than cast member rumors on land.

I hope this is true too -- but I'll believe it when I read an official announcement that Disney and a shipyard have entered into a billion dollar contract.

The DCL began formal talks with various European Shipbuilders last August. DCL president Matt Ouimet expects to finalize a deal for a new ship(s) by the end of this summer/fall, with a fromal announcement shortly thereafter. Delivery is expected sometime in 2005. Stay tuned for more details.

Here's a link to the announcement made last year:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87702&highlight=cruise

Originally posted by lrodk
The DCL began formal talks with various European Shipbuilders last August. DCL president Matt Ouimet expects to finalize a deal for a new ship(s) by the end of this summer/fall, with a fromal announcement shortly thereafter. Delivery is expected sometime in 2005. Stay tuned for more details.

Here's a link to the announcement made last year:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87702&highlight=cruise
That's an interesting thread from last year. But that thread was from before 9/11. And, even then, all that was confirmed was that there was planning going on, and that there were talks with shipyards. (I've talked to a couple of car dealers over the past year, but I never followed through and ordered a new car.)

At a Navigator Series session on the 3/23/02 Magic cruise, Captain Hans Mateboer explained that a year earlier, DCL assembled a team of people to plan another ship. Such planning would, of course, include discussions with shipyards. Captain Hans further explained that the events of 9/11 stopped the fleet expansion project. That's not surprising. The optimisitc news was that Captain Hans still expected an announcemnet in the near future.

I, too, believe that DCL will build another ship -- in fact, my guess is that they'll build two new ships from the same set of plans. Michael Eisner is under pressure to turn The Walt Disney Company back into a growth company. Although I suspect that he's reluctant to make the huge capital investment, expanding the DCL fleet might be one of the best ways to increase revenue and profits in the the Parks and Resorts segment, now that the hotel market at WDW appears to be saturated. And the timing now could be very good because the pipeline of cruise orders from other lines is drying up, so shipyards might be willing negotiate prices that are favorable to Disney -- especially because the European shipyards tend to be government subsidized or even government owned, and the governments has a strong interest in keeping the shipyard workers working. Also, capital is "cheap" now due to the low interest rates, which improves the chances of putting together a spreadsheet that projects decent profits.

I just take exception with the those who have posted (at various times on this board and the DIS DCL board) that a new DCL ship is already under construction or even that a new DCL ship is a certainty.

The events of 911 may have had a short term impact on Disney's timetable for a launch of the new ship(s)- -but I have read recently however that cruise line bookings are back in the 90% range, right about where they were before 911. This fuels optimism on my part that Disney will stick to their original plans of expansion. They would be foolish if they didn't exploit the huge demand and positive word of mouth from future and past guests alike. While not a certainty, I believe there has been enough information leaked out to justify all of the excitement. When the cruise line president comes out and makes such a blatant and bold statement, I think that brings the whole picture into focus. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own conclusions. I think that's what makes reading these stories on the Rumors/News board so interesting and thought provoking.

Thank you all for all of the information. But I do have one question, Hypethetically speaking, Let's say Disney goes ahead and builds one, maybe two new ships. One goes out of California to the Pacific, the other goes to Europe. What would they do about Castaway Cay, because I don't know if a Disney Cruise without a stop at their private island would seem like a Disney Cruise and it seems like a shame to miss the gorgeous island. Would they find 2 other islands to call their private islands as well?

DiSnEyGrL13, I suppose if the West Coast DCL cruise rumor comes true, Catalina Island may be for sale. ;) Seriously, you bring up an interesting point. I wonder if there are any islands off the Mexican Rivera that may be used. Does anyone know that part of the world?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter