Day in LA

PenguinWaiters

DIS Veteran
Hello

We are flying into LA at the end of the month for the ABD Backstage Magic. We will get to Loews Hollywood hotel Sat night but don't need to meet up with our group until Sunday dinner. I would like to see a few things in LA on Sunday and I'm looking for some help.

I think we will go see Inside Out at the El Capitan Sunday morning. It plays at 10am. After that I would like to get a semi-quick lunch nearby and then go to the La Brea tar pits. I'm looking for lunch suggestions and also transportation suggestions as we won't have a car. There are four of us (2adults, 2 kids).

Thanks for any info/suggestions!

I rather like the California Science Center. The main attraction is the Space Shuttle Endeavour, although I'm not sure if it might be difficult to get a walk up reservation on a Sunday. There are various public transportation options to get there.

The best part is that it's free except for the Space Shuttle, where there's a $2 charge for the reservation. There's also rose garden and the Los Angeles Coliseum with the Olympic flame.

For lunch you could eat at a restaurant at Hollywood & Highland. I really liked Trastevere for Italian food.

I wholeheartedly agree with sheetz about eating at the Original Farmers Market (at Third Street and Fairfax). There is a great array of food -- both table service and counter service -- spanning all different sorts of cuisines. You want gumbo? They've got it. You want BBQ? They've got it. You want freshly made English toffee? They're got it. You want French crepes? Yep -- they've got that too. Many of the merchants have been there for many decades and have kept the businesses in the family, so they have perfected their recipes and kept them consistent. Charlie's (family-run business, and the lady that owns it used to work there when she was a teenager) is just an unassuming little counter service place that doesn't look like anything special, but it was named in Travel Channel's Burger Land as being one of the places to get a great burger in Los Angeles.

There are also quite a few newer establishments at the Farmers Market as well -- Dylan's Candy Bar, Marmalade Café, Pinkberry, Ulysses Voyage, Ludwig Biergarten, Starbucks, etc.

Here is a link to the Farmers Market merchant page : http://www.farmersmarketla.com/merchant

So there is truly something for everyone in terms of food and drink at the Original Farmers Market. Plus, The Grove (a great outdoor shopping center that is immediately next door to the Market) has lots of interesting dining options as well.

The Grove's dining options - http://www.thegrovela.com/dine.php

In fact, I was just at the Market 2 days ago and I couldn't decide what to eat! I had a gift certificate and I could not choose what to eat, as there were so many options. I kept going back and forth between Bryan's Pit BBQ, Patsy's Pizza (I wanted a meatball sub) and a giant fruit salad sold at one fruit stands, and I finally gave up. The choice was too difficult to make. :lmao:

As sheetz said, the Original Farmers Market is very close to the Tar Pits. The Market is on Third and Fairfax. One way (but not the only way) to get to the Tar Pits would be to leave the Market, head south on Fairfax a few blocks, then turn left (heading east) on Wilshire. The Tar Pits (which is right next to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art) would be on the left (north) side of the street, just a few blocks up. You could also take Fairfax south and turn left (going east) on 6th Street instead of Wilshire, which would mean that the Tar Pits would be on the right (south) side of the street).

It is very walkable if you know the area. I would certainly walk it because I live in the area, and I have occasionally encountered tourists who decided to walk from the Market to LACMA, and I showed them which way to go. But you may feel more comfortable taking a taxi (the taxi ride would be short, so not expensive at all).

You could also try Canter's Deli on Fairfax, which is an iconic Los Angeles eatery (Bono was just spotted there a couple of weeks ago) located slightly north of the Original Farmers Market.

Canter's is great and I got there a lot. Golden State I think is nearby but it's more of a gastro pub I think...

Near the El Capitan you have Mel's Diner, the Snow White Cafe, Johnny Rocket's and Buffalo Wild Wings. All are casual and quick.

Near the La Brea Tar Pits Farmer's Market is great, but I really like Maggiano's Little Italy (but only if we can get the back patio) in the parking lot at Farmer's Market. We also like the Greek restaurant and the French bistro there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter