Dave + Jess Cousins Honeymoon Reports Day 1

Dave Cousins

Mouseketeer
Cast:
Me(23) - Second time to WDW
Jess(23) - Also second time to WDW.
(It is our first time together though - arrrr)

Getting There.....!

After an extremely long and tiring weekend I woke up at 5:30am to start getting ready for our Honeymoon in Orlando. Yippee. Jess was a little more reluctant to get up out of our cosy warm bed so I go downstairs and make her breakfast and coffee. I must admit that I was feeling a little rough as well, mainly due to being totally knackered & exhausted from the wedding, but I would soon get over that. :D Jess decides to get up at 6:20am, 10 minutes before Jeff & Sue (My newly acquired in-laws) were due to arrive to pick us up. Jess was feeling a little shaky this morning for some reason beyond my powers to understand, I put it down to anxiety/tiredness. We promptly ;) leave at 7:00am, 30 mins late for our journey from Southampton to Gatwick. Now I was a little worried that we were going to hit the M3 & the M25 during rush hour on a Monday morning, but thankfully the traffic gods were smiling down on us and it wasn't too bad at all. We arrived at Gatwick south terminal at 8:30am. Now I don't know if your like me but I LOVE it when I get to the Airport, this is when the holiday really starts for me. Jeff and Sue come into the terminal with us so they can say goodbye and have a bacon sarnie. They leave at about 9:00am and I promise to take care of their daughter who was now looking very pale. Poor Baby :( . We finish our coffee and head to the sky deck for some fresh air and to see if we can spot our plane. I check my watch and realise we better get a move on, so we head towards the departure lounge. On the way through we look at all the Harry Potter goodies in the WB store and Jess pops into Next for some knickers :D !! (Shopping already!!) Time soon passes and we are queuing to board Virgin Atlantic VS015. We were allocated the seats we pre booked as we wanted to make sure we were sat together. We were sat at the back of the plane where the seats go down to 2 wide - perfect. I thought the service from Virgin was excellent although the screens are WAY too close so you end up crossed eyed after 15 minutes. Also for the first time ever during a flight we didn't have the people in front recline their seat and I am always thankful of that being 6ft. In my opinion the Economy seats should not recline because there is just not enough room if you are over 5ft 7". Or, those passengers who choose to recline their seats may do so, but they MUST sit out on the wing for the duration of the flight. :D Anyway....the majority of the flight was pretty uneventful apart from the landing. Everyone knows that due to the pressure change your ears may pop. Many people suffer from this and thankfully I \m not one of them, or so I thought. For some reason, probably because I had a slight cold, my ears/head felt like it was about to explode when we came in to land. Swallowing normally gets rid of the problem but nothing worked and it was almost unbearable. It took a good 12 hours for my ears to get back to normal. So for all of you out there who get this on a regular basis, you now have my whole hearted sympathy.

This was my first time landing at Orlando Int Airport (MCO) and I thought it was excellent. I had read several posts before leaving about the strange double baggage claim system and it all seemed very very confusing. However it wasn't half as bad as I imagined it would be. Just remember to keep hold of your hand luggage. Immigration etc etc was a breeze and we were soon heading for the Dollar car rental desk. By the way, is it just me or are all the people working behind the desks at immigration just soooo grumpy?? We pop into a little news agents in the airport to grab a bottle of water, I stare at all the yummy sweets and choccie bars they have. Jolly Ranchers are my fav. We are showed to the car, which was a Dodge Neon, and after a quick run through how to drive this thing we were on our way. I was really nervous about driving in America because I heard it can be a nightmare to find your way around. So naturally I was a little apprehensive. With my trusty CO-driver (Jess) we were off and to be honest it was surprisingly easy to find our way to the All Star Movies resort. All we had to do was follow the signs for Walt Disney World, they seem to be pretty common, dunno why! :D I get the impression that Disney feels a little ashamed of the All Star complex as it just isn't sign posted until you are 10ft away from the resort gates. Does anyone else think that too?

Well we are here, after god knows how many hours of travelling, and it feels great. Check in takes about 15-20 minutes and the CM was very very helpful and considerate. We decide that we will take our bags to the room so we can familiarise ourselves with the resort. We had our room requests honoured so we were off to the Toy Story section, room 9862. Home for the next 3 weeks. We get into the room and have a look around then collapse on the bed for 10 mins rest. I then decide that I need a shower to wake myself up a bit. As I jump in, we had a knock on our door and a CM told us "My friend Mickey Mouse has asked me to give this to you." He handed us a card which had a signed photo of Mickey and Minnie in their wedding outfits, the message said "To Jess & Dave, Have a Magical Honeymoon, Your Pal Mickey Mouse - Lots of Love Minnie Mouse. Arrrrrrr it was so cute, we both loved it. And that was within about 40 minutes of us getting to our room, it was a great way to start off our honeymoon. :D :D :D :D

Coming Soon to a Trip Report board near you - The Magic Kingdom - where something magical is always bound to happen.

Stay Tuned,
Dave

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter