DAS is getting an Upgrade!

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have options to make the advanced version harder to get, the in person version would count as the same as what any other guest can get by being in a standby queue, so while they can get back to asking needs based questions, they can't really go further than that.

I understand what you are saying BUT we don't really know yet how it will be handled once the NEW system is in place. I've read the pages over and over and it's not clear because it refers to selecting a return time several times, not mentioning standby times. "use the My Disney Experience app to select a return time"

Still a bit vague, which is understandable, but if there is more freedom in selecting times or it just generates the next time available like the G+ it might be considered the same. (IT would love for it to be a similar process I'm sure)

I'm just thrilled to be able to do it on my phone without all the walking and waiting in lines to even get it. So much time and energy lost. But I hope that Disney utilizes all the tools in the box to fine tune the qualification process.

My DGS thinks the technology to track you throughout the park including in rides is already there via the RFID in your MB. But since Disney IT doesn’t work well we probably shouldn’t lose sleep over it😂

Disney had a plan, added the ability but never put it to use until now. This Genie has so much potential. The fact that this system is now going to work as well with your phone (who perfectly tracks you) as well as MagicBands tells me that they feel confident about it.

I had an incident a few years back where I am sure I was being tracked and the hotel knew I had arrived. But I detoured in the resort not going straight to my room so they got a bit of a surprise when I walked up on them instead of being in my room when they arrived. All they need are plenty of RFID active scanners spread around. That said I don't think they have any real desire to track your exact location, they are using it for the purpose of Genie and to push notifications to you.

I agree don't lose sleep, because if you carry a smart phone you are already being tracked all the time anyway.

To prevent abuse, they could just lock you out of other rides while you’re in a virtual queue for a DAS ride. Then you’re not getting an advantage over a non-DAS guest and they don’t have to pin you down about how you can wait in X line when you couldn’t wait in Y line. It would require them to scan everyone at the start of the line, so that would be a pain for them. But if abuse became rampant, it could be worth it.

They would never do this. They have always encouraged DAS users to use their wait time to ride other rides with shorter waits. They also suggested using Fastpass in conjunction with the DAS to maximize park time. They are not interested in forcing anyone to sit on a bench for an hour doing nothing while they await a DAS return.

To track DAS abuse, I wonder if Disney will start tracking stand-by line use. I’ve never scanned in or out of a stand-by line, but I’ve never used one over about 30 minutes. To prove abuse of DAS though, Disney would need to show people waiting a long time in those stand-by lines.

To prevent abuse, they could just lock you out of other rides while you’re in a virtual queue for a DAS ride. Then you’re not getting an advantage over a non-DAS guest and they don’t have to pin you down about how you can wait in X line when you couldn’t wait in Y line. It would require them to scan everyone at the start of the line, so that would be a pain for them. But if abuse became rampant, it could be worth it.

While I agree they need to make it more strict and less attractive to abuse I in no way believe that monitoring in this way could be interpreted other than black and white. I would venture for most with DAS it's never black and white, especially for those who it was primarily designed for.

We have gotten DAS since it started and had GAC before that once he had an episode in a line (for 18 years we managed without) .... but we highly rely on FP+ because it actually worked better for us since I could do on my phone and pick times that worked for us. One thing that is always in our equation and would never show up in your scenario is the structure of each queue. My DS has become very patient in lines but it is the structure of the line and our proximity to other guests that create the issue. If it is a primarily outdoor queue where sound isn't trapped or a large indoor line with no switchbacks he does okay. But if we are always smack up against other guests in a situation where you are sardines like BTMR or Frozen or FOP, and it is difficult to escape - then he can't be trapped that long. It's not he can't wait, it's he can't handle the environment - and that is what DAS is for.

So if they see DS waited longer for Slinky, Haunted Mansion, Pirates but couldn't wait for Frozen, Buzz or BTMR ... you are suggesting a black and white decision to ban him?!?

It's not about length of time alone. It is more about the factors in the line that make it difficult. Punishing or banning a person because they are using the DAS where needed and not using the DAS where it is not needed is unacceptable. You aren't supposed to use your DAS unless you need it at any particular attraction.

They would never do this. They have always encouraged DAS users to use their wait time to ride other rides with shorter waits. They also suggested using Fastpass in conjunction with the DAS to maximize park time. They are not interested in forcing anyone to sit on a bench for an hour doing nothing while they await a DAS return.

True, they aren’t, but I’ve never understood why not. Anything that provides an advantage provides an incentive for abuse, so why provide such incentives?

Now they’re introducing still more incentives…guess we’ll see how that goes.

I doubt they would go this route though, as one of their arguments in the lawsuits was that with the DAS, people could do other attractions that don't have long wait times while they are waiting, which they argued allowed for what was being asked for in the suit.

I understand what you are saying BUT we don't really know yet how it will be handled once the NEW system is in place. I've read the pages over and over and it's not clear because it refers to selecting a return time several times, not mentioning standby times. "use the My Disney Experience app to select a return time"

Still a bit vague, which is understandable, but if there is more freedom in selecting times or it just generates the next time available like the G+ it might be considered the same. (IT would love for it to be a similar process I'm sure)

I'm just thrilled to be able to do it on my phone without all the walking and waiting in lines to even get it. So much time and energy lost. But I hope that Disney utilizes all the tools in the box to fine tune the qualification process.

Disney had a plan, added the ability but never put it to use until now. This Genie has so much potential. The fact that this system is now going to work as well with your phone (who perfectly tracks you) as well as MagicBands tells me that they feel confident about it.

I had an incident a few years back where I am sure I was being tracked and the hotel knew I had arrived. But I detoured in the resort not going straight to my room so they got a bit of a surprise when I walked up on them instead of being in my room when they arrived. All they need are plenty of RFID active scanners spread around. That said I don't think they have any real desire to track your exact location, they are using it for the purpose of Genie and to push notifications to you.

I agree don't lose sleep, because if you carry a smart phone you are already being tracked all the time anyway.
If you go to the Disneyland/Disney World websites, it does clarify that the return time will be approximately equal to the posted wait time.

And don't think for a second that Disney World hasn't been tracking your movements from the moment the MagicBands were put in place.

If you go to the Disneyland/Disney World websites, it does clarify that the return time will be approximately equal to the posted wait time.

And don't think for a second that Disney World hasn't been tracking your movements from the moment the MagicBands were put in place.
I was just about to post the same. It calls it the “current queue wait” , but that is the same as the Standby Line wait.
They also are encouraging guests using DAS to use other available tools to plan and manage their day.
0259D2DF-BDA4-4D81-89C2-CD9A0EDA19A6.jpeg

I agree the Magicbands have been tracking people since the beginning. My iPhone is set to get alerts from My Disney Experience, which get mirrored on my Apple Watch.
I get notifications frequently based on where I am that suggest a specific restaurant near my current location is not busy right now or a full service one has seating available.

I doubt they would go this route though, as one of their arguments in the lawsuits was that with the DAS, people could do other attractions that don't have long wait times while they are waiting, which they argued allowed for what was being asked for in the suit.
Agree. That countered the plaintiffs’ arguments that if they could not go immediately thru the Fastpass line without waiting, all they could do was “aimless waiting”, which they said they were not able to do.
It also came out in the trial that many of the plaintiffs/families had never tried using Fastpass or features that were present in My Disney Experience app. That information was listed as a resource on the old Disney DAS page and also on the new DAS changes coming out with Genie

There will always be cheaters - not just for DAS but for everything. There are some types of people who are obsessed with gaming the system and who want to take whatever they can for themselves. Disney knows that. They also know you aren't going to totally stop it. And having abusers isn't a good reason to get rid of something people need or to make it a bad service. Banning abusers is a good first step in deterring abuse but arresting some that they can prove blatantly lied might be a good second step. Now that they will be selling a service to get into the lightening lane, this type of fraud will actually be stealing from Disney. Unfortunately a lot of the non-DAS users are obsessed with the fraud because they can't use DAS themselves. It just makes it harder for people to get the help they need.

At first I was upset about Genie + but now I think it will work really well in conjunction with the DAS.

I agree the Magicbands have been tracking people since the beginning. My iPhone is set to get alerts from My Disney Experience, which get mirrored on my Apple Watch.
I get notifications frequently based on where I am that suggest a specific restaurant near my current location is not busy right now or a full service one has seating available.

I might be in the minority here, but I don't care if they track where I am. I like getting useful information like that. But what would be super useful would be tracking lost kids.

Oh, I know there aren't anywhere near as many cheaters with the DAS than there were the GAC, the length of time you end up having to wait when you go back to an attraction now vs when you went then proves that alone.

100% this is true. When they went to DAS and had most of the lines become ECV and wheelchair accessible, that weeded out a huge percentage of fakers. The amount of wheelchair and ECV rentals that you saw in the park was significantly lower then it used to be. Especially the manual wheelchairs with the family members taking turns. Now, it seems that the majority that rent them, need them since it does not give them any advantage in the line anymore. I don't think that there is that much abuse with the DAS. I just think that you just can't tell by looking at someone if they have legitimate issues or not.

Last edited:
I might be in the minority here, but I don't care if they track where I am. I like getting useful information like that. But what would be super useful would be tracking lost kids.
Me too.
It‘s not clear in the example of suggesting places to eat to me that it was actually tracking me specifically as an individual or if it just tracked me as an anonymous ‘receiver’ that was in the area

Is it actual law that prevents proof being shown?

Over here(Uk) I have to carry my sons diagnosis letter to show theme parks, zoos, attractions etc.

We are coming for our first trip in 15 years in May. I have actively avoided Disney due to anxiety and sensory issues. We have chosen to pull the kids out of school and come during lower crowds and moderately warm weather. August crowds are ideal but I wouldn't be able to wait in a 5 min line with that heat and humidity.

I am super nervous about asking for a DAS pass. I don't like to get accommodatios, I don't like talking about issues, it gives me even more anxiety. I do like the opportunity to have my interview privately, in advance of our trip. I have good days and bad, some days it's about getting through as much as we can quickly to wrap up early. All the changes scare me even more, it's now confusing and frankly I am afraid to use it, I don't want to get on a list at Disney and I don't like the thought of people being rude and making comments because my issue is invisible.

Is it actual law that prevents proof being shown?

Over here(Uk) I have to carry my sons diagnosis letter to show theme parks, zoos, attractions etc.
Yes
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) says proof can’t be required as a condition of providing access someone needs due to their disability.
Besides that, there is no central registry where people with disabilities are listed or cards issued to show disability.

Yes
The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) says proof can’t be required as a condition of providing access someone needs due to their disability.
Besides that, there is no central registry where people with disabilities are listed or cards issued to show disability.
We dont have cards we just have to take letters showing a diagnosis.

No idea how Disney plan to police this then by allowing DAS users to pre book rides 30 days out its open to abuse like never before. Id like to believe people are not low enough to take advantage...but..

Ok thanks! For some reason I thought you were only allowed up to 7.
The usual number has always been 5 plus the person with the disability.
CMs at Guest Relations have been able to make reasonable exceptions when needed - for example, 7 for 2 parents plus 5 kids. The bigger the group, the less likely an exception will be made. And, there is always a possibility that an individual attraction would only allow a total of 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter