• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS for 9

LCoulter

Whoah Mouse
We are a family of three traveling with a family of six, one of which is disabled child. The mom finally was able to get through on chat to set DAS for 6 people along with rides for each day. They would not let her do 9.

Has anyone had luck getting more than six of chat?

Also, if we have to wait until we are at Disney, will they be able to add us and select the same rides for us.

I've had a DAS since 2015. I live an hour away and go pretty frequently. My family and friends love to "visit" me in Florida for their vacation and I often take them to Disney. They have let me get it for 7 people once, but never more. And I have traveled with up to 26 people once.
I don't think they will let you get it for 9 people

I've had a DAS since 2015. I live an hour away and go pretty frequently. My family and friends love to "visit" me in Florida for their vacation and I often take them to Disney. They have let me get it for 7 people once, but never more. And I have traveled with up to 26 people once.
I don't think they will let you get it for 9 people

Will they be able to add us when we get to Disney?

Multiple people have posted they were not allowed to go over 6 total when registering for DAS by video chat.

The ‘usual’ number for DAS is 6 (5 plus the person with a disability who is registered for DAS). Anything more than that is an exception, which may or my not be granted. It’s more likely the closer the number is to 6; the make up of the group also seems to make a difference - a family group with multiple children maybe more likely to be given the exception than a similar size group of adults/friends.
Will they be able to add us when we get to Disney?
Guests can be linked to DAS at Guest Relations/Guest Experience umbrellas at the parks. There is no guarantee they will approve any number over 6 and if they do, individual attractions may not allow more than 6 on a DAS Return Time.

So, I would count on only 6

We are a family of three traveling with a family of six, one of which is disabled child. The mom finally was able to get through on chat to set DAS for 6 people along with rides for each day. They would not let her do 9.

Has anyone had luck getting more than six of chat?

Also, if we have to wait until we are at Disney, will they be able to add us and select the same rides for us.

Since you are separate families, I would not expect your family to get added to the DAS of the other family. You may want to explore Genie Plus and LL purchases if riding together is very important to your groups.

Ugh, this is not encouraging. We surprised the kids that they would be going to Disney together, not realizing they may not be able to ride everything together, particularly a few popular attractions that they already booked. Guess I will need to prepare her for that possibility.

Ugh, this is not encouraging. We surprised the kids that they would be going to Disney together, not realizing they may not be able to ride everything together, particularly a few popular attractions that they already booked. Guess I will need to prepare her for that possibility.

We have met very far away family at Disney to be together, and no we couldn't put more than 6 on the pass. We had a few rides that we swapped magicbands so a few of the other family could ride with DS while some of us sat out.

We focused our trip mostly on meals together, the shorter line rides together, watching fireworks, shows and parades together. We would split up for some of the rides while we used DAS and they would go do something we weren't going to do (we are regulars, it was their 2nd visit). We had lots of time together and had a great trip. I would just let your DD know that right now they can't add you to the DAS they have planned but you'll have lots of time and rides together. Maybe while there they can add you to the pass and you all take turns being added at the rides booked in the park if they will only allow 6 at a time.

Even if they do add you to the DAS onsite, it will likely only be for day-of DAS Return Times and not the Advanced Selections.

Depending on the ages of the kids, maybe one of the parents can share a MB with your DD so she can join on some rides? That won't work if there are young kids in the party who need to ride with an adult, but if they are all school-age and able to ride without a lot supervision it might work.

My son qualified for DAS when we applied in-park back in July. Our family of 3 and our friends' family of 5 were all allowed together. (Their dad talked to Guest Services so I don't know if this was routine or required a lot of talking.) Wishing you the best!

It's worth a try once you get there. It won't hurt to try. You will need some pixie dust. If you go at a slower time period you might get lucky.

I just would not count on it.

On chat, they allowed 7 on our DAS, but the DAS holder is under 3 so I sort of had the feeling that she didn't count towards the number too much. I don't think they will put 9 on the DAS through chat especially since you are 2 separate families. Try in person and maybe they will say yes, but I would go in with another plan because they definitely could say no.

We went to Disney at the end of January. My daughter has spina bifida was able to get the DAS over chat and we were at that time able to add the 6 members of our party, with 8 being our total party size. We selected the advanced selections. We were very nervous about not being able to add the rest of our party.

The first park day we had was at Magic Kingdom. We found a guest services stand outside of the gates and went there to get the stroller=wheelchair tag and to see about adding the additional 2 (the lady also questioned why we needed the stroller tag and stated she did not think my daughter really needed it.... which I found extremely rude and unprofessional). They said there was no way to do it and that 6 was the max.

Once we got inside of the park, we went to the main guest services office which is to the left. The lady out front was extremely helpful and nice. She spoke with my wife inside for about 5 minutes and was able to get the extra two people added. They were also able to get them added to the advanced selections, however I do not recall the specifics on how the managed that. DAS was a true blessing.

Also keep in mind that the DAS holder has to be the first person to scan in at the attractions, meaning that they have to actually ride the selected rides.

My son qualified for DAS when we applied in-park back in July. Our family of 3 and our friends' family of 5 were all allowed together. (Their dad talked to Guest Services so I don't know if this was routine or required a lot of talking.) Wishing you the best!

When you say "their dad" do you mean someone from the friends' family? Or your son's dad?

I’m confused why Disney would add an entire family that doesn’t need the assistance to another family’s DAS. Isn’t it supposed to benefit the person with the disability? Not their family friends?

They normally would not, if the family with the DAS holder is already at the 6 person limit.

It’s like a number of other accommodations at WDW: you can ask for it and the possibility exists that it will be granted. But you can’t go in counting on it and you should figure out a Plan B for how you will handle things if it isn’t.

I know it probably sounds like I’m just being negative, but it’s coming from the perspective of somebody who went on my first Disney trip as an adult with disabilities I had been led to believe would automatically be accommodated in a certain way only to get there and have to try to figure things out at the last minute when they weren’t.

I suggest if there is an inquiry about adding your family (or at least the kids) to the other family's DAS, that they do so at the MK - inside the park - at Guest Services. I've found that location to be the best trained generally and most helpful. If your family is not able to be added, you might consider purchasing Genie+ or some LL$ to try to let certain kids ride together (not sure if your family is 2 kids or 1) - or to try to get a return time for the same attraction they have an advanced selection for - at the same time (I don't think this will be easy to do but it might work and I realize it may be too expensive).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter