DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

• We will be making efforts to preserve the Disability Access Service (DAS) for those it’s intended to accommodate — only those guests who, due to a developmental disability like autism or similar, are unable to wait in a conventional queue for an extended period of time. To help with this, we are also extending DAS enrollment for eligible guests from 60 days to 120 days and adjusting DAS party size to include no more than four, except for immediate family members.
My apologies if this has been addressed before. My biggest problem with all of this is the statement in bold. There are old Plan Disney posts that encourage those with MEDICAL conditions to apply for DAS. I understand it's Disney's program and they can change the rules but I find it insulting to say that it was ever only intended for developmental disabilities.

View attachment 861762View attachment 861763
This has been an issue with Plan Disney on multiple subjects, not just DAS. Disney puts a disclaimer on the site that basically says the opinions and advice given by the planners is their own opinion and Disney doesn't guarantee the accuracy.
There is a lot of stuff posted there that is outdated and/or incorrect
Yes. I have definitely heard of non-developmental disabilities being approved for DAS yesterday.
I have seen that too in various places
You might want to check on that. My understanding is that since the other party (Disney) has already denied consent to record, you no longer have the right to record without informing the other party -- at which point they have the right to end the call. The 2 key parts of this are italicized.

If you hadn't accepted their T&C, or the T&C did not mention anything about recording, then in a 1-party consent state you could record it without mention.
From my memory, it definitely did say you could not record the video. It may have been in the Terms & Conditions. I'm pretty sure though that it was in the message you needed to agree to in order to start the video conversation with the CM.

I'm positive that it was originally added to prevent people from recording the conversation and sharing it on social media.
When DAS first began and all interviews were in person at Guest Relations, 'influencers' were videotaping and, in many cases, live-streaming their interviews. I know at least a couple were told to stop, kept filming and were trespassed.
I suppose a good test CMs could use would be does a person's autism make it harder for them to wait in line than the average 3/4 year old, an age group this is expected to wait in the standby lines with no special accommodation.

I suspect that although they have listed autism as a reason for DAS they are working to a level of autism that is more severe than a definition like that.

It is definitely going to be hard to adjust to the new accommodations for people who are used to the old ones, that's for sure.
A lot of people think one of the big reasons 'autism' is specifically mentioned was the lawsuit brought by the families of some autistic individuals when Guest Assistance Card (GAC) changed to DAS in 2013. They started planning their lawsuit before DAS even went into effect.
just because someone is autistic or has any other condition doesn't necessarily mean they need accommodation. It depend on their needs

Annual passes are a sunk cost, so setting them aside, how much of the rest of your plans is non-refundable? Do you fly or drive? Can you get a refund for any of the resorts and/or re-rent them out to someone else? Is there anyone else who might be able to travel with you to help out if you covered their costs?

For me, 5 trips to Disney over the span of a few months may be “too much” if the logistics prove really difficult for your family. I would probably try to get DAS for trip 2 (as you already have it for trip 1). If you get it, great. If not, I’d shift gears and consider trip 2 to be largely a “let’s enjoy these amazing Deluxe resorts” trips and only go into the parks a little bit (if at all). Sleep in. Go for a swim. Check out the water parks. Eat at some new restaurants. Explore the new cabins. And try your best to see if you can make the “new DAS” world work for your family in a low-stakes way (i.e. we’re only going to do 2 rides today and see how it goes).

If trip 2 is a disaster then you have your answer. Refund what you can and chalk everything else up to the cost of living in a family with special needs. Or use your hotel as just a hotel and explore what else Orlando has to offer.

I’m sorry that you are struggling so much.
Thank you for your kind words. Non refundable everything I'm afraid. Now I know. Sigh.

I'm trying to shift a mindset into enjoying what we can, but my DAS kiddo is distraught. Like many, her disability has taken so much from her - these trips (and they range from 2-4 days; one of the changes we've made since diagnosis as we used to do 8+ days at a time) and Disney have been one of the very few experiences where she DOESNT have to be reminded every minute of all the things she no longer can do or experience. So now a kiddo who used to hard core compete in triathlons gets to ride Living with the Land and watch Short Films...no "big kid" rides for her. It's just sad and IMO so unnecessarily cruel.

Is that a part of the new policy? I don’t see how they could automatically deny you before you get to speak to a CM in the future. I’m sure they’d give you a chance to explain your condition. I’d hope, at least.
No idea. It has been stated as fact on what I had considered a reliable website re Disney.
No I have read multiple accounts of someone being denied and being told they can re-apply again in the future, even as soon as the next day.

Also, there have been multiple accounts of people being approved and being told that after their DAS expired they would have to re-apply again and may not be approved the next time.

So it seems like it works both ways, you can be denied and re-apply and possibly be approved and you can be approved and re-apply and possibly be denied the next time.
As I replied above, have read otherwise on what I thot was reputable site

This thread has certainly been conservative as to ‘official details’. I was hoping somebody would be able to confirm or deny the assertation that’s being stated as fact

Note I do not see it referenced in the terms & conditions???

Ihave not read all 264 pages of this thread but did anyone see this in the terms and conditions you agree too

1. I understand that after an individualized discussion regarding my personal circumstances I may be offered DAS, alternative accommodations, or no accommodation at all. I agree that any lawsuit I may file, or participate in, challenging this decision, the individualized discussion, or the overall process itself, shall be conducted only on an individual basis and not as a plaintiff or class member in a purported class, consolidated or representative action or proceeding.

seems kind of odd to me

To be fair... if one must leave the queue for the rest of the day there is no line accommodation that will help. And honestly, if I have to leave the line and be gone for an extended time, my family should continue in the queue and ride. Except in certain circumstances such as single parent, etc. there's no reason that can't occur. The accommodation is for the individual not for the family. Let's see how this plays out.
If the above reasoning holds - then why can't everyone start in the standard queue and then if someone has to leave, they leave and meet up with the rest of the family? No one gets DAS, just a pass to return to the queue.
We are in a similar situation in that my partner and my child are on the spectrum and have sensory issues, and my partner has panic attacks in close confines. It sounds like the recommendation will be for her to leave line, but that leaves me in charge of a ND child that I cannot physically restrain. Yet she can't take him with her, because she can't then tend to her own needs. I'm hopeful if we get DAS for both of them and explain our family situation, they will be kind and grant us sufficient accommodation.
That must be stressful and scary for everyone, to have to restrain a child in a crowded queue. Must freak out people around you too - it would trigger my issues, for certain. I hope you get workable accommodations and have a good trip.

Thank you for your kind words. Non refundable everything I'm afraid. Now I know. Sigh.

I'm trying to shift a mindset into enjoying what we can, but my DAS kiddo is distraught. Like many, her disability has taken so much from her - these trips (and they range from 2-4 days; one of the changes we've made since diagnosis as we used to do 8+ days at a time) and Disney have been one of the very few experiences where she DOESNT have to be reminded every minute of all the things she no longer can do or experience. So now a kiddo who used to hard core compete in triathlons gets to ride Living with the Land and watch Short Films...no "big kid" rides for her. It's just sad and IMO so unnecessarily cruel.

If you are denied the DAS, some options that may work:
  • First try to ask for a prorated refund on your annual passes, pointing out that when you purchased them, she qualified for the DAS and the alternatives aren’t working (unless you can find a way to make them work of course)
  • Look at going to alternative near by destinations, such as:
    • SeaWorld (Easy bus ride from Disney Springs, costs about $3 round trip per person)
    • Universal Studios
    • Busch Gardens
    • Discovery Cove
    • Kennedy Space Center
    • Legoland
    • Lion Country Safari

NOTE: Some of these are closer than others, but are viable alternatives and if you go this route, be sure to write Disney and let them know and tell them why they are loosing money.
  • You would need to check the applicable rules, but look into travel insurance and if it would cover anything involved.
  • Of course you could also bite the bullet and buy Genie+, but I don’t like that option, as you shouldn’t need to spend more money just due to a policy change and the question becomes with the restrictions on it if it would indeed meet your needs or not.
I know for us, this may push us towards exploring other venues, both in and out of Florida instead of Disney in the future and Disney will loose a fair amount of money if this continues.

Ihave not read all 264 pages of this thread but did anyone see this in the terms and conditions you agree too

1. I understand that after an individualized discussion regarding my personal circumstances I may be offered DAS, alternative accommodations, or no accommodation at all. I agree that any lawsuit I may file, or participate in, challenging this decision, the individualized discussion, or the overall process itself, shall be conducted only on an individual basis and not as a plaintiff or class member in a purported class, consolidated or representative action or proceeding.

seems kind of odd to me
Yes, it was mentioned earlier in the thread, but the more I think about this, the more I think this wouldn’t hold up in court, as you have to agree to it in order to even discuss accommodations that you may be legally entitled to receive. So, in other words, they are trying to require you to give up some of your rights in order to even discuss providing you what you have a right to. I can’t see how that clause holds up to legal scrutiny.

I wish I didn't have to commit to tickets first. Heck, I'd even settle for tickets not being date based and able to be saved for a later trip. Blah. We're going to Disney in July, and there's no way I can handle the parks in summer without DAS. I guess I'll keep watching reports and decide if we want to take the gamble or just have a non-parks trip.

I wish I didn't have to commit to tickets first. Heck, I'd even settle for tickets not being date based and able to be saved for a later trip. Blah. We're going to Disney in July, and there's no way I can handle the parks in summer without DAS. I guess I'll keep watching reports and decide if we want to take the gamble or just have a non-parks trip.
I did speak to a CM about having tickets refunded. He said it would be an elevated conversation. Maybe buy the tickets - UT allows refunds. There is a 5% fee but when compared to the cost of a useless Disney trip, that's not bad.
Then, if you're not given DAS, have your tickets refunded.

This just seems over the top pessimistic. I understand you feel certain Genie+ won’t help you at all, and you can’t rope drop (even though that would help with the temperature & crowds)…can you buy an individual lightening lane?? I find it hard to believe you won’t be able to ride any “big kid rides”. Even if you buy G+ and use it for 2-3 rides, won’t that have been worth it? There are ways to use G+ and not crisscross the parks. You say you have to plan down to the minute but that strikes me as odd bc how did you plan your DAS days when you don’t know how long the standby queue is going to be? Or how do you plan if you can’t predict rides being down? No one besides maybe a VIP tour guest can plan their day minute by minute.

I did speak to a CM about having tickets refunded. He said it would be an elevated conversation. Maybe buy the tickets - UT allows refunds. There is a 5% fee but when compared to the cost of a useless Disney trip, that's not bad.
Then, if you're not given DAS, have your tickets refunded.
It does stink for those trips already planned on DAS level accommodations then thrown this wrench.

The G+ option is a viable one and if I were Disney PR person would find a way to offer this at a reduced fare for those previously qualifying for DAS for a transitional period but with new rules in place do not anymore. ... and find a way to do this without rankling the Disney lawyers.
Of course, there will be a fair amount of folk who never take this as they disavow Disney; but for those stuck with tickets; planes and hotels, it does offer way forward.

This just seems over the top pessimistic. I understand you feel certain Genie+ won’t help you at all, and you can’t rope drop (even though that would help with the temperature & crowds)…can you buy an individual lightening lane?? I find it hard to believe you won’t be able to ride any “big kid rides”. Even if you buy G+ and use it for 2-3 rides, won’t that have been worth it? There are ways to use G+ and not crisscross the parks. You say you have to plan down to the minute but that strikes me as odd bc how did you plan your DAS days when you don’t know how long the standby queue is going to be? Or how do you plan if you can’t predict rides being down? No one besides maybe a VIP tour guest can plan their day minute by minute.
G+ isn't a panacea for sure. I do agree that it can help mitigate the lack of DAS accommodation and ILL on the really popular 'big kid rides' for a few a day and help plan out and salvage a previously planned Disney trip.

Also, unused disney tickets retain their full dollar value; so if you haven't started those tickets/passes - perhaps try out other hotels and theme parks as Disney sorts out their new policies and processes.

People have ways they like to and are used to when in the parks. Would you spend thousands of dollars for a lesser experience?

G+ isn't a panacea for sure. I do agree that it can help mitigate the lack of DAS accommodation and ILL on the really popular 'big kid rides' for a few a day and help plan out and salvage a previously planned Disney trip.

Also, unused disney tickets retain their full dollar value; so if you haven't started those tickets/passes - perhaps try out other hotels and theme parks as Disney sorts out their new policies and processes.
It’s not a panacea—but there is a decent chance that by late June it will work better for those of us who use it as an accommodation. It can require more zigzagging, but now that you can modify existing LLs, it might be easier to adjust times for rides on close proximity if all of the LL capacity isn’t gone by 11:05AM.

seems kind of odd to me
Yes, it was even highlighted by a big blogger. After their legal department failed to put that language in the DL MKs and they settled a class action regarding them I think this will be in everything. Like, it’s worth a shot to try to deter class actions. Is it enforceable due to requiring people to agree to it before they will even discuss accessibility? Couldn’t say, but what do they have to lose by trying it?

No idea. It has been stated as fact on what I had considered a reliable website re Disney.

As I replied above, have read otherwise on what I thot was reputable site

This thread has certainly been conservative as to ‘official details’. I was hoping somebody would be able to confirm or deny the assertation that’s being stated as fact

Note I do not see it referenced in the terms & conditions???

There is nothing officially documented saying if you are denied you are denied forever or that if you are approved you are approved forever. I just know what other people have been told during their DAS conversation when they were either denied or approved.

I don't think in the T&Cs it would say if you are denied you are denied forever either.

Here is where it says you cannot record the conversation:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disability-access-service/register/

It is shown here:

Other important things to note:

• Live video chat is available from 7:00 AM to 8:00 PM Eastern Time.
  • The recording of this video chat is strictly prohibited.
  • The Guest requesting DAS (or their parent/guardian) must be 18 years of age or older to register.
  • The Guest with a qualifying disability requesting to use DAS must be present during the video call.
  • If you’re not logged in to the Walt Disney World website, you’ll be prompted to log in.
  • If you don’t have an account, you’ll need to create one before continuing.
  • Guests using a mobile device or tablet will need to download the Zoom application to connect to the video chat.
  • Video chat is screen reader-friendly for Guests with visual disabilities and available with text chat for Guests with hearing disabilities.
  • At this time, live chat is offered in English only.

This isn't part of the T&Cs, but it is listed before you click Request Live Video Chat.

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know whether this statement here is legally binding since it isn't under the T&Cs, but Disney is within their right to ban you permanently whether or not it is in their T&Cs or not.

Last edited:
Here is where it says you cannot record the conversation:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/disability-access-service/register/

It is shown here:

This isn't part of the T&Cs, but it listed before you click Request Live Video Chat.

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know whether this statement here is legally binding since it isn't under the T&Cs, but Disney is within their right to ban you permanently whether or not it is in their T&Cs or not.
Thank you!

People have ways they like to and are used to when in the parks. Would you spend thousands of dollars for a lesser experience?
Accommodations are present to make an experience possible. That's the primary purpose, including DAS.

Disney certainly in the past has gone the extra magical step for many with disabilities; but the company has fallen on harder times and the mighty dollar is more at play --- so they are being more discerning on 'magical'.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter