DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

I know this is a hot issue and folks were hoping to get more info today -- preferably positive info that they could take as their own situation would continue to qualify for DAS. I realize that may not have materialized for many. But let's give it time to see how the new in-park procedures actually work. I understand the disappointment, but flat out declaring "nope, nothing but DAS will work, we're done" isn't a particularly helpful post.

If your trip is within the next month, hopefully you already pre-registered under the old rules. If your trip is more than a month out, give the dust time to settle.

Consistent Disney is an oxymoron.
IMO, the only thing that might help those of us shut out of DAS is to take our vacation dollars elsewhere. If everyone who is angry sucks it up, goes anyway, buys Genie+, and pretends nothing is wrong, where is the incentive for Disney to help us?
By the same token, if people who were using DAS previously and are now denied are able to still able to go using Genie+ and ILL (plus return to queue), then did they need the DAS to make a Disney trip possible or did it just make the trip easier?

I am on the fence about this..My wife had no idea about DAS..She has had about every medical thing happen to an adult in her 30's that a woman could face medically. We didn't even know she could apply for the DAS until about 2 years ago. It was great and made the park much more enjoyable for us. However I get it.

By the same token, if people who were using DAS previously and are now denied are able to still able to go using Genie+ and ILL (plus return to queue), then did they need the DAS to make a Disney trip possible or did it just make the trip easier?
Undeniable that (1) return to queue will work just fine for many people (I’m not claiming ALL people) and that (2) return to queue is not as convenient or pleasant as the previous arrangement. Which in turn will go a long way towards curbing abuse; for example, a party of healthy young adults will no longer claim (based on a TikTok hack they have seen) that one of them has IBS in order that they can all get DAS return times all day, once word gets around that all they will be offered is return to queue.

Keep in mind that Disney isn’t denying “accommodations.” Disney is suggesting alternative accommodations. They seem to still be listening to your needs and offering solutions/accommodations for you to still enjoy your park time. It isn’t the accommodation that you may want or like.

To me, one can be disappointed and angry that they don’t “qualify for DAS” and think there is no way they can enjoy the parks but until one tries the alternatives, one has nothing more available to them. They can try the alternative accommodations and then have specific data to approach the CMs with to hopefully get a more suitable solution. That has happened to my DD. She tried without the GAC (prior to DAS) and the accumulated effects resulted in her becoming extremely symptomatic. We now had data that we could present to the CMs and also we became, though our actual experience, better at vocalizing my DDs needs.

I know it is hard. I am sympathetic. I personally think that people need to give Disney a chance. To me, this will weed out the abusers. It has been my experience that individuals with disabilities are resilient and creative. They problem solve. They don’t follow a script.

To me, one can be disappointed and angry that they don’t “qualify for DAS” and think there is no way they can enjoy the parks but until one tries the alternatives, one has nothing more available to them. They can try the alternative accommodations and then have specific data to approach the CMs with to hopefully get a more suitable solution. That has happened to my DD. She tried without the GAC (prior to DAS) and the accumulated effects resulted in her becoming extremely symptomatic. We now had data that we could present to the CMs and also we became, though our actual experience, better at vocalizing my DDs needs.

The problem with this approach is the cost factor, and the commitment, along with the removal of in-park CM access to get accomodations adjusted once on-site. If a park ticket is running in excess of $100 / day / person, and hotel accomodations are in the $200 / night range, then to "try the accomodations" for a day or two for a family of 4 is a commitment of $600 - $1200. That doesn't even factor in the cost for transportation, the opportunity cost for the vacation time, etc.

This kind of change feels similar to when my medical insurance company decides to change their formulary in order to cut their prescription costs, and then forces their members to try alternative therapies before approving to pay for the existing prescriptions the member is currently taking with success.

So I saw a post it’s only for immediate family members only.
So no more friends included?
How do you prove they are a family member if they have a different last name?

This kind of change feels similar to when my medical insurance company decides to change their formulary in order to cut their prescription costs, and then forces their members to try alternative therapies before approving to pay for the existing prescriptions the member is currently taking with success.
Consider there is only enough of this prescription drug for 100 people, and 1000 people currently have a prescription. So they say, well these 10 people's symptoms need it beyond a doubt. The other 990, let's see what else might work for them. Once everyone works through the alternate options, maybe only 80-90 end up back on the prescription, and now there is enough for everyone who really needs it and can't make the alternative work.

Wouldn’t you have a good time by just sticking to the rides with shorter lines? For example, right now in MK, 16 of the rides have lines of 30 minutes or less, with only 6 having longer waits. I always have a good time in a Disney park even if I don’t ride the super headliners.
That's a fair question I think but I won't try to explain it in terms of my health. I will say that going to Disney presents significant challenges notwithstanding having das. As a consumer, I would not put myself through those challenges for a watered down experience.

Each time I see your posts, the first thing that comes to mind is I sure hope that you're never in a position to need an accommodation and then have the rug pulled. If you haven't had any of these conditions, then you cant put yourself in our positions and know what we're going through.

So I saw a post it’s only for immediate family members only.
So no more friends included?
How do you prove they are a family member if they have a different last name?
I've only seen 1 post about the number of guests so far, and I think it was a third-hand post (someone posting "I saw this on another site").

We expected the limit to be 4 now, and I'm honestly not surprised if more than 4 are not allowed if the "extra" are not minor children in the immediate family. At one time that was the primary exception to the limit of 6. Disney has removed mention of "immediate family" so that may or may not be the measuring stick they use.

How that will play out for groups of friends remains to be seen.

I know, in this thread, my reason is not going to be popular BUT there is an opposite side of the coin and some need to be reminded it’s not just those using DAS that have disabilities and visit the parks.

I have a member of my family with disabilities that include MS. Because of the MS he is a non rider. We actually quit visiting Disney annually before Genie+ because the wait times were too long for the rest of us (He mainly enjoys sitting and people watching) our-last big Disney trip was Jan 2023 and Genie+ was amazing, our wait times for rides were 5-15 minutes so he always had company.

I want Disney to help and accommodate everyone. But the LL’s were never meant to be a solution for this many people.

I do want to get the quick LL service I paid for.

Last edited by a moderator:
How is the new DAS different from the old DAS? Looks exactly the same to me, other than not being able to apply in person.
1. No pre-selects available for doing it on video beforehand
2. No doing it with a cast member in parks. If you do it in the park they will [supposedly] direct you to an IPad to use
3. Ten minute wait after going on a ride you used it for
4. Limited for certain needs. Mentioned are autisim and other developmental disabilities but it has been noted that some veterans got their disabilities approved

DAS as an accommodation remains the same. The change is who can qualify for DAS no

1. No pre-selects available for doing it on video beforehand
2. No doing it with a cast member in parks. If you do it in the park they will [supposedly] direct you to an IPad to use
3. Ten minute wait after going on a ride you used it for
4. Limited for certain needs. Mentioned are autisim and other developmental disabilities but it has been noted that some veterans got their disabilities approved
Can you explain 3? Not sure what are you mean.

Would anyone residing in the US be able to "copy paste" here the most accurate info from the website regarding DAS?

Link wouldn't work as I'm in Europe and links get redirected to the local website. With no info at all about DAS.

I can't use VPN at the moment. Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter