• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DAS changes coming WDW May 20/ DL June 18, 2024

Sorry if this has been mentioned, I’m new to this group, but looking at the official Disney wording on MDE they seem to have taken out the immediate family wording and it now just mentions 4 people will be allowed including the DAS holder. Is this a deliberate rewrite of the words to avoid the immediate family discussion and who would be included.
Makes sense. They don’t want to waste time arguing with people about why grandparents or cousins aren’t immediate family— it will be a policy of 4 and then they can grant limited exceptions for families with more than 2 minor kids.

I hope they will allow for larger parties to exist but only 4 riders at a time (allowing non-DAS relatives to take turns riding with the DAS holder and kid(s)).

Registered this morning. Trip starts after May 20 for 4 people. Non developmental disability. Got standard DAS including preselects. DAS ends the last day our ticket is valid. I didn’t ask about any upcoming changes. Didn’t think to ask about the 10 minutes and the CM didn’t mention it. I was surprised about the preselects. Took about 30 minutes total when it opened at 7 am EST. Picture will be lovely with my hair not quite finished.

Last edited:
What “disability community”? These parks pretty much ignore physical disabilities that are obvious, and cater to those with unseeable mental issues.

If you have a foot boot on, and are there with a 6 year old, they expect you to wheel yourself around, or have the 6 year old push you. What does the “disability community “ think of that?

Developmental disabilities are not mental issues. Not all hidden disabilities are mental. You can have hidden physical disabilities. Not all physical disabilities are mobility issues. WDW has adapted most of their queues to accommodate the common mobility issue aides.

I would consider someone with a foot boot on temporarily disabled. This would impact their entire park day, and not just waiting in line. What other options are you expecting in this scenario?

It doesn’t make it equal in reality. We got out in 45 mins of a 60 min posted wait (posted vs actual varied 15-30 mins for other rides) for FOP.

So the DAS guest waits 60+20 LL+10 extra. So they have to wait almost twice as much as a standby guest to get their next pass.
You’re right, it’s still not equal.

The DAS user is still far better off.

You’re right, it’s still not equal.

The DAS user is still far better off.

On one hand, in a bubble, DAS is 100% a better way to experience the parks than standby. On the other hand, to get DAS, you need a disability, and if you or someone you love has a serious disability, you realize they would trade everything they have in this world to not have one, so they aren’t really “better off”. The point remains that the use of a DAS pass (by someone with no disabilities) offers a better experience than standby.

I reached out to Walt Disney World Accessibility Services Team via email with a specific inquiry, but unfortunately received the same canned response as everyone else that didn't address my concerns at all. It's frustrating to feel like just another number in their system.

I hope the first person to try and locate a cast member for assistance with a bathroom pass that fails to get one "in time" (if you know, you know) documents their experiences on social media because I believe it's important for others to be aware of the challenges faced by individuals with these type of disabilities at Walt Disney World. If that person is me I DEFINATELY will. Although my disability is invisible, it won't be if this scenario happens.

I have one more trip planned before my pass expires in July. I can't cancel that trip since I've already purchased tickets for my nephews and don't want to disappoint them. However, if it weren't for these plans, I would seriously reconsider visiting during this transition period and explore other vacation options that prioritize accessibility and customer satisfaction.

Liars or cheaters will lie or cheat regardless of the rules. “Autism” in and of itself does not qualify without having s conversation about needs.

I do question the “20 family members” as possibly being embellished. The current program has only allowed a max 6 for a ride so even if they managed to get all linked they had to trade off which 6 rode. The new limit is 4.
Nah - super easy. Just mentally divide the family into 4 groups. Have 4 people separately claim to need DAS. Presto - each family signs up for the same ride at the same time and you have 20 people boarding together.

If you are going to lie about 1 person needing DAS, why wouldn’t you lie about 4, especially given that you already know “what to say” to qualify?

Assuming the posted standby wait time is accurate. There's been lots of discussion in the last year about inflated posted standby waits. In some cases it being as bad as the posted wait being twice what the actual wait was. DAS return times are based on Disney's posted waits, not the actual wait.
Yes, sometimes the posted wait time is longer than actual wait times. And sometimes the posted wait time is LESS than actual wait times.

But regardless, the das user is “waiting” while eating a meal, meeting a character, taking a nap, riding another attraction, taking a picture, using the restroom, walking to the attraction, etc…it’s not really a sacrifice if the posted wait time is 10 minutes more than actual wait times.

Nah - super easy. Just mentally divide the family into 4 groups. Have 4 people separately claim to need DAS. Presto - each family signs up for the same ride at the same time and you have 20 people boarding together.
Maybe you needed to read further... the post you quoted was early in a discussion where someone was implying 1 DAS was used for a party of 20+. That poster did later indicate exactly what you state.

What “disability community”? These parks pretty much ignore physical disabilities that are obvious, and cater to those with unseeable mental issues.

If you have a foot boot on, and are there with a 6 year old, they expect you to wheel yourself around, or have the 6 year old push you. What does the “disability community “ think of that?
My friend had a boot on and used one of those kneeling push scooters. You could also rent a motorized scooter instead of a wheelchair. This is not a problem for Disney to solve for someone

Yes, sometimes the posted wait time is longer than actual wait times. And sometimes the posted wait time is LESS than actual wait times.

But regardless, the das user is “waiting” while eating a meal, meeting a character, taking a nap, riding another attraction, taking a picture, using the restroom, walking to the attraction, etc…it’s not really a sacrifice if the posted wait time is 10 minutes more than actual wait times.
I wasn't talking about a 10 minute difference, but I'm pretty sure you knew that. 🤷‍♀️ I'm not going to argue about activities Disney explicitly allowed and encouraged.

You're painting people with disabilities with a very broad brush and assuming their time spent waiting on a DAS pass would be similar to those without disabilities. For example, we would definitely use some of that time getting DD to eat, but not because it's a pleasant experience. She has several medical issues both physical and sensory related that make eating just really unpleasant for her. So we spend a lot of time, every day, saying "Have you eaten?" "Just one more bite." "Try to eat a little more." "I ask that you try one bite first, then you can have something else." "You have to eat more than buttered bread."

So I want to push against this idea people have in their heads of DAS users floating through their waiting time without a care in the world. Others may be administering medications, using headphones and music therapy for regulation, cooling down to prevent a medical episode, or attending to other needs.

Do I book another ride while waiting in line with DD's DAS pass? Definitely. But I'm not doing that so we can march immediately to that next ride, I'm checking off another mental list item so something is waiting for us when we can get to it. Please do not lump DAS abusers behaviors' in with the rest of us.

Absolutely this! The number one reason, I believe, for so much DAS abuse which will unfortunately continue unless Disney finds a solution. The DAS "waiting" vs the standby "waiting" stuck in a long winding line with hundreds of other people not being able to do anything but just stand and slowly move forward are two hugely different experiences.

You're painting people with disabilities with a very broad brush and assuming their time spent waiting on a DAS pass would be similar to those without disabilities. For example, we would definitely use some of that time getting DD to eat, but not because it's a pleasant experience. She has several medical issues both physical and sensory related that make eating just really unpleasant for her. So we spend a lot of time, every day, saying "Have you eaten?" "Just one more bite." "Try to eat a little more." "I ask that you try one bite first, then you can have something else." "You have to eat more than buttered bread."

So I want to push against this idea people have in their heads of DAS users floating through their waiting time without a care in the world. Others may be administering medications, using headphones and music therapy for regulation, cooling down to prevent a medical episode, or attending to other needs.

Do I book another ride while waiting in line with DD's DAS pass? Definitely. But I'm not doing that so we can march immediately to that next ride, I'm checking off another mental list item so something is waiting for us when we can get to it. Please do not lump DAS abusers behaviors' in with the rest of us.
Thank you for having the spoons to say this in detail. I wish I thought it would make a difference, but at this point I don't feel that any amount of sharing how legit DAS users struggle will overcome the misperceptions that keep being perpetuated.

I wasn't talking about a 10 minute difference, but I'm pretty sure you knew that. 🤷‍♀️ I'm not going to argue about activities Disney explicitly allowed and encouraged.
Everyone fully understands that doing all of those activities during the DAS wait time is allowed and encouraged by Disney. My point was that even if the posted wait time isn't a perfect reflection of actual wait times, it's not a big deal or damaging to the DAS user because they are able to really maximize their time however works best for them. If they understated the wait times, that would benefit no one. Considering they can't see into the future, it makes sense to err on overstating. I don't see anyone disagreeing with that sentiment.

Overstating the posted wait time to double the actual wait is an extremely rare occurrence. I, personally, have never experienced this scenario.

Think about what you just said. You’re saying that someone should provide their own accommodation by incurring additional expense. Well, if a member of your party can’t tolerate waiting in line, buy Genie+ and ILLs.

Edit: I’m not sure why the quote didn’t carryover, but I was speaking to a user who said rent an ECV for a user with a physical disability

Last edited:

I'm glad that DAS exists for this exact situation. I have never expressed that I wanted DAS to go away. Your situation is exactly what it should be used for. That being said, I don't think a very good percentage of DAS users needs to use that time for medical/health reasons (that's not to say they shouldn't be allowed DAS - that's not what I'm saying). If you're not having a crohn's flare...an ADHD child probably doesn't need to attend to health issues....if you have heat/light sensitivity and it's dark outside and 60 degrees....there is obviously a group of DAS users that don't need to spend that time attending to their needs.

The only reason I posted my original comment was because of the frequently repeated statement that DAS users actually have to wait longer than non-DAS users. That sentiment is flawed and really doesn't paint an accurate picture of reality.

Thank you for having the spoons to say this in detail. I wish I thought it would make a difference, but at this point I don't feel that any amount of sharing how legit DAS users struggle will overcome the misperceptions that keep being perpetuated.
Oh I love the spoon theory! I think the most accurate analogy that people will understand of the time a disabled person has vs. non disabled is the rich vs. poor.

A rich person's time is not the same as a poor person's time. This is because the rich person has the resources to make their time more efficient. A rich person can afford to pay for someone to cook their meals, clean their house, and care for their children. A poor person does not. So the time a rich person has in their day is not equal to the time a poor person has. Same can be applied to a disabled person vs. non disabled.

Now, that's not to say Disney is responsible for making that time worth more for disabled guests, but I don't think it's at all accurate when others imply that a disabled guest's time of waiting outside of the queues is equal to able bodied guests.

Everyone fully understands that doing all of those activities during the DAS wait time is allowed and encouraged by Disney. My point was that even if the posted wait time isn't a perfect reflection of actual wait times, it's not a big deal or damaging to the DAS user because they are able to really maximize their time however works best for them. If they understated the wait times, that would benefit no one. Considering they can't see into the future, it makes sense to err on overstating. I don't see anyone disagreeing with that sentiment.

Overstating the posted wait time to double the actual wait is an extremely rare occurrence. I, personally, have never experienced this scenario.
Actually, overstating the time is exactly what Disney intends to do. It is not for nefarious purposes, it's purely for guest satisfaction. That may seem counter intuitive but think of it this way: If a person gets into a line that says 45 minute wait but rides after 30 minutes they're happy. If a person gets into a line that says 45 minute wait but rides after 60 minutes they're angry.

The timing will never be exact, but Disney would rather add in a time buffer that makes guests happy vs. getting it wrong in the other direction and making guests mad.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter