Cut the cord today

My husband won't cut the cord because of hockey and football. What do those of you who love sports do?
My DH and I didn't watch sports too much when we cut the cord 6 years ago. DH did watch some UFC, but most of that is PPV anyhow.

He recently got into football. Football is on at our house all weekend just from the antenna, so I don't think there is a lack of football without cable.

NHL would be different, obviously, but you might find a package from NHL, ESPN, Sling, etc. that included it.

We have. I do worry with so many people doing it you will eventually see prices right at the same cost as cable, but all I really care about myself is hockey (family is a different story, but they have had no issue getting theirs set).

We have. I do worry with so many people doing it you will eventually see prices right at the same cost as cable, but all I really care about myself is hockey (family is a different story, but they have had no issue getting theirs set).
I think more likely we will see a thinning of channels. Niche channels won’t be profitable as they won’t get enough subscribers and will just go away. We will get to a point where there are just 15-20 quality channels instead of 150 channels of crap.

I think more likely we will see a thinning of channels. Niche channels won’t be profitable as they won’t get enough subscribers and will just go away. We will get to a point where there are just 15-20 quality channels instead of 150 channels of crap.
150? Thousands, lol. I was setting up a TiVo for our loft and must have unchecked at least 200 channels. That doesn’t include all the ones in the guide we don’t get.

I think you’re right though. The big stations are going to start to realize they don’t need cable companies to make money. Like it or not streaming is the future. My concern there is that we might eventually be forced to watch commercials again.

I’ve considered cutting the cord numerous times. I loathe Cox Cable with a passion but realistically I wouldn’t be saving much at all.

Did it a couple of years ago. I have Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime. I add HBO and Showtime from time to time. I can't get over the air TV where my house is situated. I don't mind missing the news. I pick and choose what I consume and I like it that way.

We cut the cord several years ago as well. Love it. We have these three channels as well, and HBO. We even upgraded Hulu for no commercials. It was worth the extra $2 per month for no commercials. I also really like picking and choosing what I consume, and when and where. Our local news doesn't really carry any relevant news stories anyhow, and since I subscribe to them on Facebook, I get links to all the good stories anyhow.

I wanted to do it, but each time I call they want to charge me the same to keep the internet. Ridiculous, but I can't find another high speed internet option. So I still have cable, "for free" with my internet, basically.

What do you all do for internet, what options do you have?

We went from about $200 between cable and internet to about $75 for internet + the monthly subscription fees for the channels we have. ($35 for internet, then the monthly fees for Hulu, Netflix, and HBO, plus Amazon Prime, which you pay yearly, so it actually feels like it's free, even though it's not! LOL)

they have a way to make it come back. *points at Net Neutrality*

i used to have ATT uverse TV, has since cancelled it and using directTV now. Pair that up with my ATT cell service which gives me free streams that doesnt count against my data allowance. works well for me that way. only pay $35 a month. I still kinda think the more channels, the more expensive it gets, why people would pay for those channels instead of getting it via cable...

Agree with you on the net neutrality concern. I have been closely following that because that could potentially really affect what we are paying for each month. Kind of scary, really. And I see your point about more channels, more money, but for us, cutting the cable cord and subscribing to four channels is still about $125 per month cheaper than what we were paying.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter