Cruising in late February? Is it too cold

WVU Disney Fan

Mouseketeer
We are thinking of doing a Western Caribbean cruise on Treasure 2/22 to 3/1 for DW birthday. Just curious if others have cruised around that time and if it was too cold to swim.

We could wait about a month later and go for spring break but it looks significantly more expensive and would be cool to celebrate wife’s birthday while in the cruise. We were just slightly worried it might still be too cold.

We have sailed the fantasy twice in late January. One eastern. One western. Ports were nice and warm with the exception of castaway. The air temp was nice both times, but the ocean at castaway was pretty cold.

We’ve sailed 4 times at that time of year and never found it too cold. CC was a little cool but it didn’t stop us from swimming.

The islands were beautiful weather!!

The weather may be chilly in Florida and possibly in the Bahamas, but will warm up as you move south. Prices will indeed be higher during times kids are typically out of school, so if that’s not an issue for you, late February should be fine.

Caribbean should be fine, but the Bahamas and Castaway Cay could definitely be uncomfortably cold for swimming. Personally, I would avoid sailing to the Bahamas in Jan/Feb/Mar if possible.

We have sailed Presidents Week 3 times. Twice we had nice warm weather and once it was cold (we missed CC and went to Nassau instead that time).

We are thinking of doing a Western Caribbean cruise on Treasure 2/22 to 3/1 for DW birthday. Just curious if others have cruised around that time and if it was too cold to swim.

We could wait about a month later and go for spring break but it looks significantly more expensive and would be cool to celebrate wife’s birthday while in the cruise. We were just slightly worried it might still be too cold.
We went on the Wish in early Feb. Are you talking air temps on the boat for swimming or are you talking water temps in the ocean? The temps on the boat were perfectly fine during the day. The water temps in the ocean at Castaway were a little chilly, but tolerable. If I had it to do over again I'd take a 3 mm neoprene zipper jacket to snorkel in, but why wife and I don't have a lot of insulation either. Haha

Last edited:

Caribbean ports will be perfectly warm. Castaway Cay and the first night could be chilly though.

It depends on where you're from. If you live in cold country, the Caribbean will seem a lot warmer than it would for someone in a warm(ish) climate.

I have sailed that time of year a few times and the weather was beautiful. The ocean was a little cool at Castaway Cay but you quickly got used to it. Have fun WVU. I'm a Pitt fan.

My neighbors did this itinerary during that week this year (It's our school vacation week) now granted we're northerners so anything warmer than 68 degree water is warm to us, but she said the water in the western caribbean ports were warm.

Castaway Cay is on the "cooler" side but once I got used to it, I was fine.

We've cruised at that time of year and loved it. But as PP mentions, we're from a northern climate where we're leaving behind snow and cold. The Bahamas or Caribbean felt like summer to us.

We're booked on that cruise and I'm not at all worried about it being too cold. But I'm from Canada so my perspective might be different. If you're from someplace warmer maybe it would be seem a bit chilly?

We've done 5 Caribbean cruises in Jan-Feb. Air temps are in the 80s and water was warm. Castaway Cay Air temps were usually mid70's-low 80s. The water is cooler, but once you get in it you get used to it. We've also been to Castway 4 times in March and it wasn't much warmer than Jan/Feb but cost A LOT more since it was Spring break.

We just cruised Eastern Caribbean on Norwegian in mid-February. The weather was fantastic once we got into the Caribbean. It was a chilly mid-60s in Port Canaveral the day we left. The pools on the ship were perfect for swimming. Can't speak to the ocean - I waded to get my feet wet at Tortola but had no desire to go in any further. Too chilly for me. Honestly, I get cold in the WDW pools in summer after about 15-20 minutes, so obviously I have a low tolerance for any kind of cold water temperature. Not sure what the water temps were in Dominican Republic, St. Thomas, or Tortola, but I know the water was about 73 degrees at Great Stirrup Cay - again, way too cold for me.

If your main focus is going to be swimming in the ocean, I'd just think about what temps you can normally comfortably swim in. If you're good with water temps in the 70s or 80s, you should be fine. If swimming is just something you'd like to do but isn't a must do, I can't say enough good things about the overall weather that time of year. Not oppressively hot. We were able to enjoy our excursions without dripping buckets of sweat.

We're cruising Fantasy Feb 28 to Mar 2 and I am looking forward to NOT sweating. Our last cruise in September the ship wasn't bad but the ports were HOT! DH has a real issue with hurricanes which is why our next cruise is February. I'm really looking forward to it but I think I will book two pre-cruise days JIC of weather issues.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter