Cruise Ship Etiquette?

I think one post was confusing etiquette with atmosphere of the ship, where it really is more to do with personal actions.

Behave as you would anywhere else..common courtesy goes a long way!!! I have a book I got as a gift a long, long time ago called "The Essential Little Cruise Book". It is written by a cruise director and gives general cruising tips and does have a section on ship etiquette. I have listed them below...again these are general etiquette tips and I paraphrased some of them. Not everyone will agree with all of them and may feel they don't pertain to DCL but here they are.

Never go up to the Captain when you see him around the ship and ask "Who's driving the boat"?....he's heard it a thousand times and it gets old quick.

Don't leave your laundry in the machines and not come back for it.

Don't leave your personal belongings on deck chairs to save them for later. They are for everyone and unless you are ready to use them don't leave stuff on them.

Don't walk around the ship in your bathing suit without a cover up and don't walk the halls in your nightie and curlers.

Don't drape towels and clothing on the verandah railing (makes the ship look tacky).

Always be polite when asking for something from the staff. Always smile and make eye contact.

Be modest in your attire, not everyone needs to see every bump and bulge.

Respect crew only areas (the ship is also their home and how would you feel if strangers were pushing their way into your living room).

Don't sit in the first row at the show and doze off....people behind you can be distracted by your bobbing head and the performers won't appreciate people dozing during the show.

Be discreet with your money and personal wealth. Nobody really cares and being ostentatious is in bad taste.

When leaving your cabin don't let the doors slam.

To be asked to dine with the Captain is an honor don't ever turn it down.

There is a reason cruise ships don't sell gum....if you bring your own don't stick it where it does not belong (like on the floor or under furniture). Dispose of it properly.

If coming back from muddy excursion, take off your shoes and carry them to room so you don't track mud through the ship

Don't block the elevators, wait until passengers leave the elevator before boarding.

If you encounter a problem seek out a crew member and discreetly explain the problem. Don't bore your fellow passengers with it.

Keep a grip on yourself, don't over indulge in alcohol and be annoying to others.

If the evening calls for formal attire don't change into shorts and t-shirt mid way through.

Never use your hand to touch food on the buffets, always use the tongs provided (or don't put stuff back if you change your mind).

Take a moment to commend the staff if you feel they have done a great job. A pat on the back goes a long way.

And my favorite:

If the sun shines smile, it is rains...smile and look for the rainbow!

MJ
Wouldn't be nice if everyone followed that? Thanks for the list. I may not be able to tell the diffence beween a seafood fork and a soup spoon but I would discertly ask my sever. it's too bad that some parents are't teaching thier children this:scared1:

Read this whole thread and didnt see this one: If you are a child OR Adult who travels with your stuffed animals/friends, Dont order a meal for it. I was on the Panama cruise and one adult couple ordered a meal at EVERY meal for the toy. Got old for other passengers and servers.

Read this whole thread and didnt see this one: If you are a child OR Adult who travels with your stuffed animals/friends, Dont order a meal for it. I was on the Panama cruise and one adult couple ordered a meal at EVERY meal for the toy. Got old for other passengers and servers.

There is a fine line between quirky and crazy, but to each his/her own I guess!

I don't remember what thread it was in, but I do recall a LONG discussion about this lady and her giant bear...apparently it was extremely unfun for the entire rest of the ship. :confused3 There was an explanation of some sort, it was for a blog or travel report or something but...for some things, no explanation is enough to excuse rudeness.

I apologize if any of these are repeats or way too obvious:

- Just because you paid good money for this cruise, please don't demand special treatment from CMs or get angry with them if things aren't just the way you want them. Actually overheard in Cabana's:
Guest: I can't find the sushi. I was told there'd be sushi on board.
CM: We do have sushi 'mam but we wont be serving sushi until tomorrow.
Guest in highly irate voice: What?!? But I want sushi now! This is ridiculous!

- Don't lose your cool if something on the cruise isn't exactly perfect. Things breakdown, weather can't be controlled, etc... I watched a couple freak out because the remnants of a hurricane kept us from stopping at Castaway Cay. We instead stopped at Nassau. Folks, would you have preferred being unable to get in the water because it was too rough and you'd have been sand blown from all of the wind gusts? Or the man who commented that he was going to right a complaint because the electronic card scanner at one of the onboard shops was down so he had to *GASP* deal with a written receipt.

- If you are not an adventurous eater, please do not complain to your entire table or to your server about how weird the food is, that you can't find anything to eat ("Can I just see the kid's menu!"), that they don't automatically serve steak sauce every time you order your well-done steak, and generally be unpleasant because this isn't Denny's (no slight to Denny's fans) every single night. Not to be mean, but go upstairs and get a burger!

- Don't think that tipping is unnecessary. We had a couple at the table, first time cruisers, who wanted to know if they were expected to tip what was listed in their cruise booklet. They didn't feel that they should have to tip all of the people listed or nearly as much as listed. ***!?!

- If you're traveling with a large group, DO NOT send one or two people into the theater to reserve a whole row when everyone else plans on arriving 5 seconds before or just as the show/movie starts. Everyone, or at least the majority, should arrive together and sit down so as not to cause a huge disruption. I've watched families walking back and forth and over and around each other so different people can sit next to each other or away from one another while other guests are trying to enjoy into the show.

I can think of a few other things but I think they are more person specific than general rules.

Just relax, and don't take yourself too seriously. You'll have a great time.

If this is who I'm thinking about, didn't realize they ordered a meal for him. We were on the same dining rotation so we saw him every night, even dressed up at times. Ordering a meal for a stuffed animal/toy is taking it way too far, especially for normal adults :sad2:

On our cruise we had a family of at least 8 folks that went to every show and sat in the front row every night. They would send a couple of their tween / teen daughters who would get in line on either side of the theater and SPRINT to the front row as soon as the doors opened.

They would then spread themselves and clothes all over the front row saving it for the rest of their family who would come strolling in 2 mins before showtime.

I was somewhat disappointed that no CM dared talk to them ....

On our cruise we had a family of at least 8 folks that went to every show and sat in the front row every night (if the CMs were doing their job). They would send a couple of their tween / teen daughters who would get in line on either side of the theater and SPRINT to the front row as soon as the doors opened.

They would then spread themselves and clothes all over the front row saving it for the rest of their family who would come strolling in 2 mins before showtime.

I was somewhat disappointed that no CM dared talk to them ....

DundasDad, wow, how embarrassing for those tween/teens to have done the saving of the chairs only to be told to move (if the CMs would actually do their job). Their parents should not put their kids in that predicament.

I think if someone complains, CMs will go ask them to move. And what a horrible position for those parents to put these kids in. Oh well, chair hogs, seat savers...whatcha ya going to do? I'd rather get to there earkt, with my family and not go through all that stress and would no way put my teens up to that either. But of course, my boys would say "you want me to do what?" and they would hate it. Saving seats.

I wouldn't want to sit in the front row anyway. :thumbsup2

These are great. I just wanted to add a comment about people being quiet in the hallways after 9pm. We teach our kids to be quiet in the cabin hallways ALWAYS. Not just on a ship but in WDW, Virginia, Arizona or wherever. When it seems they have forgotten their "inside voice", I remind them that babies are sleeping. Heck on a cruise, there's lots of adults napping too. :laughing:
I'm a bit more relaxed in the public areas of a ship or resort but on decks that are all cabins, you never know what's going on behind those walls. Maybe a sick baby with an earache finally drifted to sleep. Someone with a migraine trying to rest. Who knows. It's really not hard to be considerate of others.

I also would like to comment that adult areas are not for children. Sounds like common sense but every cruise it seems someone brings a child into the adult areas. I'm a mom too and love my kids but wouldn't bring mine to the adult pool or adult beach because 1. kids already have areas designated for their use and 2. adults come to these places to escape kids, their own or other people's. It's simply inconsiderate & selfish to ignore these rules.
Someone brought their entire family to the adult BBQ on CC in March then on our Sept cruise someone brought their 3-4 yr old to the adult pool and let her swim in the hot tub. :sad2:

Dh & I didn't even see the adult pool for our first few cruises since our kids really weren't big time into the clubs. They'd make their Flubber or whatever then page us to get them. We didn't get to the adult beach until we cruised without them.

Thank goodness it was not ME on that Panama cruise, and I agree about not ordering a meal for a plush, BUT . . What you see is not always how it is. My mom and I took my Duffy the Disney Bear on the Wonder last year just after the WDW passholder preview. The CMs aboard had just read about him in the latest Eyes & Ears and all seemed happy to see him. It was not a full ship. Our server put Duffy in a booster seat and brought him a cup of water each evening with "Duffy" written on the lid and put a child's menu in front of him. It was all in fun. Sure, I'd move my plate in front of him to photograph him with my food before I ate it, and it made for memorable, humorous pics. I also posed him in odd places around the ship. It may be unusual but it isn't crazy - no more so than for an adult to be photographed with a fur-suited character. For anyone, child or adult, to order food for a "toy" would be wasteful and yes, irritating to the servers. But to take a Disney plush on a Disney cruise and photograph it in what is a Disney make-believe environment is nothing more than FUN and the promotion of a Disney product.

Back to Cruise Ship Etiquette: #1 - Respect others as you would have them respect you. #2 - Do no harm, by words or actions. #3 - Abide by ALL of DCL's "official" rules and recommendations. #4 - If you see someone who is following #1, #2 and #3 but you simply don't approve of what they are doing, try ignoring the situation and maybe everyone will be able to enjoy their cruise. ;)

Thank goodness it was not ME on that Panama cruise, and I agree about not ordering a meal for a plush, BUT . . What you see is not always how it is. My mom and I took my Duffy the Disney Bear on the Wonder last year just after the WDW passholder preview. The CMs aboard had just read about him in the latest Eyes & Ears and all seemed happy to see him.
Isn't called Ear's and Oars?

It was not a full ship. Our server put Duffy in a booster seat and brought him a cup of water each evening with "Duffy" written on the lid and put a child's menu in front of him. It was all in fun. Sure, I'd move my plate in front of him to photograph him with my food before I ate it, and it made for memorable, humorous pics. I also posed him in odd places around the ship. It may be unusual but it isn't crazy - no more so than for an adult to be photographed with a fur-suited character.
Not quite the same really, one is a person in a character suit we all know is just a loveable "character" in a cartoon world, and love him and his mate's as much as we do, but it's a person in a character suit, and a photo is nice.

For anyone, child or adult, to order food for a "toy" would be wasteful and yes, irritating to the servers. But to take a Disney plush on a Disney cruise and photograph it in what is a Disney make-believe environment is nothing more than FUN and the promotion of a Disney product.
A child I can understand, but I would think a paren't or carer would say no, and I totally agree about an adult ordering food for IT.
As for an adult taking pictures of a plush toy...... I think make believe should only go so far. JMO

Back to Cruise Ship Etiquette: #1 - Respect others as you would have them respect you. #2 - Do no harm, by words or actions. #3 - Abide by ALL of DCL's "official" rules and recommendations. #4 - If you see someone who is following #1, #2 and #3 but you simply don't approve of what they are doing, try ignoring the situation and maybe everyone will be able to enjoy their cruise. ;)
I completely agree with the above

Ex Techie :)

Thanks! He's 18 now and ready to fly the nest. He has autism, so social skills did not come naturally to him, but he has been a pleasure to have every step of the way. I'll take the Stepford child to a Damien any day.

He's gone from a child who wouldn't make eye contact or speak to anyone, to a bright and vibrant young man off to follow his dream of being a chef. I couldn't be prouder.

Different diagnosis, but you are describing my son. In culinary classes at the skill center now.

Good Job Mom!!!!

this has been a great thread. I have one point I always look at the CM, smile & call them by name. Like opp I always say thank-you & please, have a good morning ect. I have also had compliment servers for the nice meal.
I'm a picky eater, I don't like mushrooms, peppers, & onions.:eek: I do ask server to please not to have this on my plate. I rather do it before then pick it off at serving time.

One more thing, please put your chair back to table when leaving tables. I can't tell you how many times I have tripped over chairs:scared1:

Thank-you for all the good advice:grouphug:

One of my big pet peeves: There is no need to get pushy in the buffet lines. Don't worry, there will be enough food for everyone. If we all just patiently wait our turn, we will all get a chance to fill our plates.

I hate it when I am waiting politely in line (along with most other people) and someone actually reaches across me to grab tongs to fill up their plate. Really? They can't wait just a few seconds for the line to move so that they are in front of the food they want?

In a very disturbing incident at a midnight dessert buffet, the woman behind me kept leaning over me to get things off the next tray. She was so close that my elbow kept accidentally bumping her in the chest. I kept apologizing (why was I apologizing? :sad2:) and she kept leaning over me. Finally I turned to her and told her "Why don't you go ahead?". She eagerly moved ahead and then BEGAN LEANING OVER THE NEXT GUY IN LINE!!! :eek:

Let's not let our gluttony overwhelm our manners. ;)

One of my big pet peeves: There is no need to get pushy in the buffet lines. Don't worry, there will be enough food for everyone. If we all just patiently wait our turn, we will all get a chance to fill our plates.

Yes, I've experienced that too. A slight inverse of your situation. If you're on the buffet line (Magic or Wonder) or station line (Dream), please move along at a timely place. This is not the place to stand and chit chat with your family and friends. You can talk and pick out your food at the same time. Move out of line or save the conversation for the table if you want to have a lengthy chat.

In response to extechie rbd/wdt and all who agree with his post ---

To say it's a person in a character suit is very NON-Disney (enough to get a CM fired). Disney "plush" are also just symbols of characters in a cartoon world. It's all SUPPOSED to be about imagination and a make-believe environment . . for children AND adults. That was Walt Disney's vision. I suppose you would have criticized him for carrying Mickey Mouse.

And do you call Mickey Mouse an "IT"? When I or others refer to "him" or her," it is because they SYMBOLIZE a male or female character. Just because you don't understand it does not make it wrong. ;)

You said you agree with the last part of my post (Back to Cruise Ship Etiquette: #1 - Respect others as you would have them respect you. #2 - Do no harm, by words or actions. #3 - Abide by ALL of DCL's "official" rules and recommendations. #4 - If you see someone who is following #1, #2 and #3 but you simply don't approve of what they are doing, try ignoring the situation and maybe everyone will be able to enjoy their cruise.). Your words have shown the opposite.

I did not subscribe to this thread, and I won't be back to read replies. SOME people on this "etiquette" thread seem to get their kicks by making hurtful remarks about others and want to turn it into yet another forum for personal attacks on many of those who love everything Disney. Very sad. :sad2:

Thank goodness it was not ME on that Panama cruise, and I agree about not ordering a meal for a plush, BUT . . What you see is not always how it is. My mom and I took my Duffy the Disney Bear on the Wonder last year just after the WDW passholder preview. The CMs aboard had just read about him in the latest Eyes & Ears and all seemed happy to see him. It was not a full ship. Our server put Duffy in a booster seat and brought him a cup of water each evening with "Duffy" written on the lid and put a child's menu in front of him. It was all in fun. Sure, I'd move my plate in front of him to photograph him with my food before I ate it, and it made for memorable, humorous pics. I also posed him in odd places around the ship. It may be unusual but it isn't crazy - no more so than for an adult to be photographed with a fur-suited character. For anyone, child or adult, to order food for a "toy" would be wasteful and yes, irritating to the servers. But to take a Disney plush on a Disney cruise and photograph it in what is a Disney make-believe environment is nothing more than FUN and the promotion of a Disney product.

I totally have no problem with someone, adult or child, taking their toy with them around the ship or even to meals. It is in good fun. Pushing the limit of decorum is another matter as apparently was the case on the Panama Canal cruise situation.

We had a young girl at our table on a past cruise who had her Tinkerbell doll with her at each meal. She didn't get her own meal but she did "share". It wasn't over the top nor was it distracting. She was a very well behaved child. I've seen plenty of adults with their Duffys and My Pal Mickeys and they've just been having fun. It doesn't go too far into the "creepy" department.

My grandmother LOVED to stand in line with the other kids and take pictures with all the characters. She loved it, we loved it, and from the response, so did the CMs! I wish we could have taken her on a Disney cruise because I suspect she'd have never wanted to get off.

Ex Techie :)

It is Eyes and Ears.

What's wrong with grown-ups having fun? While I agree actually ordering food for a plush is a bit overdone, merely taking one along on a cruise and photographing him or her is just good, clean fun. After all, Disney is largely centered around a mouse! Disney is NOT just for kids. Some people though just take themselves too seriously.... :sad2:

I'd far more see someone photographing their plush, than some of the other behaviors that we see on the ships!

Back to etiquette, which is what this thread was supposed to be about, not making fun of others. I'd say, follow Disney's OFFICIAL rules, be polite, and don't waste your vacation time making fun of others who aren't harming anyone or putting them out.

Don't drape towels and clothing on the verandah railing (makes the ship look tacky).

I just realized this was a resurrected thread, but MJ, I loved this one. I just had this picture in my mind of a ship with laundry lines strung from balcony to balcony with towels, bathing suits and whatnot hanging from them :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter