Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly wasn’t a huge fan of Ample Hills (good ice cream, but always long lines & space was sterile with no character) I was perfectly happy with the smaller ice cream shop with the candy - I agree, let’s bring Seashore Sweets back! 😊

I, surprisingly, liked their ice cream and didn’t mind the lines because they always moved quickly... however, I Love candy! So a location that incorporates candy with anything makes me happy! I think “Confectionary+“ has a nice ring to it lol

Royal Caribbean considering price hike ahead of return to sailing

For those that already booked cruises last year, it looks like you saved $$$$.

"Now the company is getting so many bookings for future cruises that the year 2023 is starting to fill up. "

https://www.wesh.com/article/royal-caribbean-price-increase-cruise/35731324
I think most of the cruise lines are doing the same thing. I have clients who were canceled in 2020 & 2021 and when I went to rebook them for 2022, their cruise had literally doubled from the 2020 price. It is crazy. There is so much pent up demand though that I think they will get away with it.

I think that would be moot by mid April. Orange County is almost in the red tier, and should hit orange a few weeks later should trends continue. WDW originally opened at 25%.

It's not just capacity though - no out of state visitors allowed, no indoor dining allowed etc... Can they really afford to open with restricted capacity AND no indoor dining to help boost sales? Will they get enough locals within the recommended 120 miles to sustain them? And while it didn't mention the shops... If they're not allowed to be open, that would be a further financial hit.

It's not just capacity though - no out of state visitors allowed, no indoor dining allowed etc... Can they really afford to open with restricted capacity AND no indoor dining to help boost sales? Will they get enough locals within the recommended 120 miles to sustain them? And while it didn't mention the shops... If they're not allowed to be open, that would be a further financial hit.
Um yeah they will. Today there was a 2 hour wait to get into Downtown Disney. Taste of Disney sold out all dates within hours. Most of the dining in the parks is mostly outdoors anyway. Retail is allowed to be open according to the capacities of the current tier. Disneyland is a locals park. They dissolved the annual pass program because there was too much demand. DL/DCA is in a much better position than WDW to open with capacity restrictions because of the much stronger local base.

I definitely think they will - at least for a while. And by that point I hope they have moved tiers and out of state is welcome. If it would be like that for years then maybe some issues but enough pent up demand and enough people living in that area to fill the place for a few months at least

I do get you point about potentially less auxillary revenue streams (dining, shops, etc) but they should make it up a bit my only selling day passes and I also sure they will figure out ways to sell lots of merchandise even if just kiosks or something

Basically nobody in CA follows the 120 mile thing. Literally didn’t even know that was still a thing until this theme park announcement brought it up 😆 CA resident is much more enforceable so I think theme parks will live off that just fine for a while.

Will enough people show up? Yes. Did you see how fast $75 tickets for 8 hours to take pics in DCA, buy stuff from a mini-food festival and shop on Buena Vista Street sold out? Basically instantly. And shopping on BV had been free to everyone the last couple months- but that stops when the festival starts. Can you imagine the ticket cost if they can throw some rides in there?!

Will the math work? Yes. 15% is red tier. 25% orange. 35% yellow. The governor said as soon as the state distributes 400k more vaccines in 400 zip codes of vulnerable people he’ll make it easier to move between tier colors, DLR could very well have 25% capacity by the time they open. No indoor dining sucks but a lot of DLR dining is outside actually, and they’re already set to run Carthay outside. If you really want to dine inside walk 5 minutes to the esplanade and dine indoors to your heart’s content in Downtown Disney.

THE WILDCARD- indoor rides. This makes or breaks opening as only a couple rides are 100% outdoors. The details on capacity and time limits that will allow indoor rides to operate are still being “negotiated”. Imho 50/50 on if they give theme parks something workable or not. <insert French Laundry joke here>

I definitely think they will - at least for a while. And by that point I hope they have moved tiers and out of state is welcome.
Actually this is now an unknown 😔

Under the limited new rules mentioned at no point did they say out of state will be allowed, it was right there with no indoor dining, and no mention of tiers changing rules on either of those points. Only thing they’ve said tiers will now change is capacity restrictions.

I think most of the cruise lines are doing the same thing. I have clients who were canceled in 2020 & 2021 and when I went to rebook them for 2022, their cruise had literally doubled from the 2020 price. It is crazy. There is so much pent up demand though that I think they will get away with it.

I think with SO many people having cruise credits that need to be used by a certain date, the cruise lines are taking advantage of the fact that people need to use or lose those credits. It seems to be a way to squeeze some more money out of the people who want to use the credit before it expires.

I think with SO many people having cruise credits that need to be used by a certain date, the cruise lines are taking advantage of the fact that people need to use or lose those credits. It seems to be a way to squeeze some more money out of the people who want to use the credit before it expires.

Yes the cruise lines handling of the credits has been abysmal. Royal Caribbean had a lift and shift program to lock in pricing but ended that. The cruise industry is in for a world of hurt for at least the next 5 to 10 years as these prices will not be palatable once people have no credit left.

it’s not just the cruise lines. Sports stadiums who opened at reduced capacity greatly increased ticket prices to partly/mostly offset the reduction in numbers. Andflights that I’ve checked on (although that’s pretty limited) have been the same or hover as well. They know the demand for things is going to return as quickly as people are allowed to take part, so IMO, I don’t see many travel or entertainment discounts anywhere anytime soon.

it’s not just the cruise lines. Sports stadiums who opened at reduced capacity greatly increased ticket prices to partly/mostly offset the reduction in numbers. Andflights that I’ve checked on (although that’s pretty limited) have been the same or hover as well. They know the demand for things is going to return as quickly as people are allowed to take part, so IMO, I don’t see many travel or entertainment discounts anywhere anytime soon.

Thats a recipe for disaster as wages are not going up.

I think they're also trying to make up for the fact that they may not be able to sail with full ships for quite a while after they're able to reopen. Less guests means that they need to make more money off of each guest. Some people will pay the premium just to get on a cruise, some will not.

I see discounts in 2023.
we did go through (are going through? still possible depending on the numbers could get better or worse this year with unemployment and spending) a recession (globally!) and revenge travel will only carry companies so far.

I think they're also trying to make up for the fact that they may not be able to sail with full ships for quite a while after they're able to reopen. Less guests means that they need to make more money off of each guest. Some people will pay the premium just to get on a cruise, some will not.
Exactly. Same with other venues. I’ve noticed the same with restaurants too—charging a few bucks more for the same items. But I expect it to be similar to the effect from when gas went to $4 a gallon—and the resultant prices increases (baggage fees, removing free bread in restaurants, etc.) stuck around after it went back down. The reduced-capacity prices will stick around after capacity creeps back up. as long as people keep paying them.

Exactly. Same with other venues. I’ve noticed the same with restaurants too—charging a few bucks more for the same items. But I expect it to be similar to the effect from when gas went to $4 a gallon—and the resultant prices increases (baggage fees, removing free bread in restaurants, etc.) stuck around after it went back down. The reduced-capacity prices will stick around after capacity creeps back up. as long as people keep paying them.
That last part is the key. If people will pay those prices and the ships are still full, the prices will stick around. If not, the prices will drop.

That last part is the key. If people will pay those prices and the ships are still full, the prices will stick around. If not, the prices will drop.

Its already been proven people will not pay the prices, which is why they were substantially less before the closure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter