Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it is literally impossible that the 7% occupancy number is accurate. A really bad day at POR would be in the 80s. Disney is exceptionally good at using price to balance hotel demand.

as a data addict, I was incredibly shocked and stand by what I heard. my weekly visits to POR (sometimes parking lots and buses were packed- sometimes the place was a ghost town) Pointed to less demand than some of you believe.

Considering I have no physical proof of occupancy to stand on, I’ll not plead that case any further.

but I do disagree with Disney being exceptional good at filling rooms in the the early 2000s-2015. Now they’ve instituted more marketing strategies to fill the rooms and drive demand (FOA in January was an incredible move, as an example)

this whole thing started because POR is moving October reservations, and based on past moves by disney to shut down the resort permanently , I don’t see it opening this year, and maybe not next year either.
supply and demand for Disney is anyone’s guess, though this spring break season will be a big indicator of demand and fiscal outlook.

as a data addict, I was incredibly shocked and stand by what I heard. my weekly visits to POR (sometimes parking lots and buses were packed- sometimes the place was a ghost town) Pointed to less demand than some of you believe.

Considering I have no physical proof of occupancy to stand on, I’ll not plead that case any further.

but I do disagree with Disney being exceptional good at filling rooms in the the early 2000s-2015. Now they’ve instituted more marketing strategies to fill the rooms and drive demand (FOA in January was an incredible move, as an example)

this whole thing started because POR is moving October reservations, and based on past moves by disney to shut down the resort permanently , I don’t see it opening this year, and maybe not next year either.
supply and demand for Disney is anyone’s guess, though this spring break season will be a big indicator of demand and fiscal outlook.

They just refurbished Port Orleans not too long ago. I know there were refurbs happening in 2018/2019 and I think they still had some sections left to do in 2020.

I recall that they delayed some of the refurbishments because they needed the rooms back in 2018/19. I don’t think they would refurb a resort if it was doing so poorly that they had plans to shutter it. That wasn’t in the long term plan.

ETA: I think it will open again at some point. When? Too many factors to make an educated guess.

Last edited:
They just refurbished Port Orleans not too long ago. I know there were refurbs happening in 2018/2019 and I think they still had some sections left to do in 2020.

I recall that they delayed some of the refurbishments because they needed the rooms back in 2018/19. I don’t think they would refurb a resort if it was doing so poorly that they had plans to shutter it. That wasn’t in the long term plan.

ETA: I think it will open again at some point. When? Too many factors to make an educated guess.
@andrewilley would know for sure (and have insight as to whether is possible that POR had had a night with 7% occupancy in 2019) but I think they finished all the PO room renovations prior to the whole thing shuttering.

I really hope Port Orleans opens back up. We just stayed at Riverside in a refurbished room last January. It was our first moderate stay and we loved it! We usually stay value or use our DVC points. I'm crossing my fingers that POFQ opens by the holidays this year as I'd love to stay there while it's decorated for Christmas.

Yeah there is just no way they could be at 7%. You're talking about a huge operating loss there. That resort would've been shut down a long time ago if it ever got near those numbers.

Yeah there is just no way they could be at 7%. You're talking about a huge operating loss there. That resort would've been shut down a long time ago if it ever got near those numbers.
According to industry analysts David Eisen and Laura Resco, average break-even for US hotels is 37.3%.

According to industry analysts David Eisen and Laura Resco, average break-even for US hotels is 37.3%.

And that isn't a Disney resort like PO, which includes 300+ acres with meticulous landscaping, dozens of separate buildings, several pools, transportation service, multiple restaurants, presumably miles of pathways and hundreds of trashcans, etc. I assume a Comfort Inn with a single building and 5 employees can do far better on 37% capacity than something with the expansive overhead of PO.

There are a lot of table service restaurants in open resorts that have not reopened. We stayed in Beach Club in December and there are no table service restaurants open in that resort. The current occupancy at the resorts probably mean that table service restaurants wouldn't be busy if they were open. On top of that, Coronado is way out of the way so you wouldn't see a whole lot of people making trips over there to go eat.
Did Beaches and Cream close in December?

I feel like a dork asking this, but we've never ridden on the Liberty Belle and I know I read somewhere that it's on 2.5 mile track, but how long does the "ride" experience take?

thanks!

Can anyone shed any light on the lines and their wait experiences at Gideon's? We get there Sunday and getting cookies is high on our list. tia

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter