Crock pot recipes... Who wants them?

My crock pot is full of chicken right now (and I'm at work, hehe) and yesterday I fixed a rib roast in bbq sauce in the crock pot. With 3 growing kids, I can't tell you how excited I am to see these recipes!! Keep them coming. And my husband is excited also - if I have the crock pot going, it's one less meal he has to fix since he gets home first.

LisaF (28 days 'til the world, but who's counting:))

I copied this thread to the Recipe Board, where it is more appropriate, but still left it on CB.

I have the EASIEST and most tasty roast beef recipe ever. I have one of those west bend's that sits on the base so I go from fridge to base. The trick is the night before to put the roast in the pan, shake about 1/4 -1/2 cup of soy sauce or the liquid terriakki sauce over(just enough to coat the whole top), then sprinkle black pepper, onion powder, and garlic powder. No water and no salt. Let it sit in the fridge overnight and cook all the next day on medium(setting 3 of 6). I work 10 hour days and it is always perfect when I get home. Mix a couple tablespoonsful of corn starch with a little water and pour in the pan drippings that are boiling after you take the roast out. Let boil while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. It will turn from white to clear. That's it! I don't like veggies cooked with this as they do not cook well and the flavor is not good, but when you try the meat, it's worth the extra effort to cook the veggies sep.

Well, this will definitely keep my crock pot busy! Thanks for sharing.

mmmmmm....I made binny's potato soup, & added corn. It was great!
Anyone have suggestions on how to make it thicker - more like a chowder? Do I just add a little white sauce?

I don't know about you guys, but here in Chicago, we love Italian beef. There is no other place in the nation that tastes like it does here! I found a pretty good recipe for the crockpot, here goes...
Crockpot Italian Beef

1 large roast, rump works best
1 jar mild or hot giardenera (you can find this in the Italian
section of the grocery store) I use the 16 oz size
1 pkg good season Italian dressing mix
1/2 jar pepporcini peppers
1/2 cup water

Place all ingredients in the crockpot and cook on low for 8-9 hours. When done, shred the beef and put it back in the juice. Serve meat on crusty Italian bread and enjoy! This is fantastic.

Heather

Wow! These recipes look great. I can't wait to go & try them. I'm in a cooking co-op & crok pot recipes are great for that. I'll come back & post a few of mine when I have more time.

Happy Cooking!

Oh thank you thank you! :)

The Italian beef recipe sounds YUMMY. Is it really spicy b/c of the pepperoncinis?

heaport, I would like to try the Italian Beef too....it sounds great. Could you please tell me, what exactly is giardenera? Thanks!:)

I LOVE THIS THREAD!!! Thanks so much for the awesome CP recipe links. :D

I made the Indonesian Chicken with Peanut Sauce this past weekend. It was good, not great. My hubby was not impressed. It was too peanutty. I ate all the leftovers though! If you try it, cut back on the peanut butter. I would make it again, for me.

Hi all,
the peppercini peppers are the ones in a jar that have the little green stem, they are not real hot, but I think you can get them in hot or mild, they are usually by the Italian aisle in the grocery store. So is the giardenara, that comes in mild or hot, too. It has peppers, olives and some other veggies in there. It is usually packed in oil. I hope this helps, this beef is really good!
heather

hi again heaport....i went to the store (which usually carries everything that i need or am looking for), but i couldn't find the giardenera. i bought a jar of sweet peppers in olive oil. do you think this will make a good substitution? i am anxious to try this recipe:)

Wow! These all sound great. Thanks for sharing. I love my crockpot!! I will definitely be trying some of these recipes.

The Upside Down Chocolate Pudding Cake was great! So simple and makes the house smell great while it is cooking (hmmmm...good idea to have cooking while showing a house for sale).
Thanks!:D

Hi,
I wish I could tell you that those peppers will work for the Italian beef. I am surprised but I guess Chicago has a huge italian base of people so we can get this item at any grocery store. The peppers have a mixute of peppers, olive and veggies in a hot or mild oil base, I am not sure you can substitie these, they are what makes the beef really good. Do you have any specialty stores near you, like a Trader Joes? I hope you can find them.
heather

Thanks Heather for your help. I am still looking for the giardenera. Now that you describe it, I know I've seen it somewhere. I put my beef in the freezer, so I will hold off making it until I find this key ingredient. Thanks again for your help.:)

I am an avid recipe and cookbook collector and have enjoyed reading all these recipes...
I have been making this recipe for years in the crockpot.

Barbeque Pork & Beef Sandwiches

In 3 1/2 to 5 quart slow-cooker (the larger one works better), combine:
1 1/2 pounds beef for stew
1 1/2 pounds pork cubes
2 cups chopped onions
3 green peppers, chopped
1 6-ounce can tomato paste
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup chili powder
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard

Cover; cook on "high" 8 hours. With wire whisk, stir mixture until meat is shredded. Fill your favorite sandwich rolls with beef mixture. Makes 12 sandwiches.

To cook on top of range: Using 6-quart Dutch oven, prepare as above but add 1 cup water. Stir often. Simmer 3 hours.

Enjoy!

Bonnie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter