Cracking transfer

bethbuchall

DIS Veteran
I have made a few shirts before and not had any problems. I made one the other day for ds to wear to "Arctic Night" in his 1st grade classroom. I used Avery Light transfer paper. I washed and dried the shirt, Hanes Heavyweight 50/50 (cotton/poly) from A.C. Moore, before using. I followed ironing directions (at least as well as I have in the past). He wore it for about an hour that night, so I folded it up and put it in his drawer. He wanted to wear it the next day. It had already developed a couple of small cracks. After washing, it is unwearable (cracked and peeling). The edges are worse than the sides.

Do you think it is a matter of not ironing long enough? Not enough pressure? Too cool an iron?

I did iron it for the amount of time specified, and I tried to use plenty of pressure. My iron is getting old (wedding gift almost 18 years ago), and it's the cordless kind (I don't recommend those, if they are even still available).

I need to get these wrinkles out (no pun intended) before I start on the trip shirts! If anyone has any ideas, please share.

Beth

PS. Here is the design that he wore.

ArcticAdventure.jpg

Hi Beth - I think other people have re-ironed with the paper on to iron out creases after washing... could be the way you folded it up?

Not sure - anyone else help?

rosiejo said:
Hi Beth - I think other people have re-ironed with the paper on to iron out creases after washing... could be the way you folded it up?

Not sure - anyone else help?

Thanks, Clare. The cracking didn't start on a fold line, and enough of the design has completely peeled off that I don't think it's salvageable now.

I think I'm going to get a new iron. I haven't particularly liked this one for the past 18 years, so I think I'm "entitled" to a new one. Hopefully, the iron just wasn't heating enough.

Any other suggestions?

Beth

Beth -

I have found that the more solid a design is - the less likely it is to hold up

in this case - a dark transfer sheet would solve your problem

Thanks, Kate! I am thinking of going with all dark transfers for our Disney shirts, but I must admit that I've never used the dark before. I think I will get some and do a test run. I need to make this shirt for ds again, because he will be sad to see what it looks like now. He really loved it.

Do you (or anyone else) have a recommendation on brand of dark transfer paper?

Beth

Beth-I really think you have to get a new iron. I used to have a cordless one but it didn't last 18 years. It only heats when its on the base so it wouldn't stay hot enough to do your transfer.

My DH did research before he bought me a new iron for Christmas (04) as my Rowenta had died. I LOVED the Rowenta but it didn't last too long. He said the TFal got better reviews.

I've had cracking problems too. Sometimes it is the shirt and sometimes I just don't know what it is. I recently sorted through some of the kids stuff I have in storage in the basement and took out some of Lizzy's summer clothes for our May trip. I made her the Peter Pan flying to the world design using dark paper and that was cracking. I don't know if it was because it was in the basement. I haven't tried ironing it again with parchment paper. I will try that. But now there are so many other designs I want to try....

I will definitely be looking for a new iron! Mine only lasted that long, because I don't use it much. :rotfl2: Actually, I used to do a lot of sewing, so the iron was heavily used in it's earlier days. I never liked the fact that it only heated in its base, especially when I was ironing long seams. Thanks for the information.

Beth

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter