cpap users ??

cassie

<font color=green>I did run free in the 70's<br><f
I've posted before on having been diagnosed with sleep apnea. I have gotten my sleep machine and I have a question. I've been playing around and sleeping with the mask. I find I have leaks when watching tv before lights out. Ok, I have my head raised to see the tv. I usually turn the tv off & settle down to sleep after 15 mins. With my head raised I have a leak, but turning to my sleep position I have no leaks. Is there anyway to know as I'm sleepng and moving around that leaks are not occuring? I'm finding I'm so aware of this machine and it's interupitng my sleep.

I asked my DH for you. He says it usually wakes him up when his mask leaks in the night. That happens rarely. Sometimes he opens his mouth and air leaks out. That wakes him up, as well. He says if it seems to be leaking while watching tv, maybe you need to tighten up the mask a little more? You can also switch to other types of masks if this one just won't work for you. They even have ones that fit in your nose, but DH didn't like them.

When he first had his CPAP he was very aware of it. He got used to it and now says that he gets much better sleep when using it. Hang in there. It gets better.

I'm usually the one that notices if my DH's mask is leaking. I'm a very light sleeper and can hear the difference :)
I nudge him and he repostions it. Doesn't happen very often.
We both sleep so much better now!!

It's possible your mask is not tight enough. The flexible rubber part should be compressed a little when it's tight enough. If you're not sure, you can go back to where you got the machine from and ask them to help you fit it.

One question though.... Why are you wearing it watching TV? It's only really helpful when you are sleeping. I find if I'm breathing normally before I fall asleep sometimes it will cause what appear to be leaks, but once my breathing starts to settle into a rythym it doesn't seem to leak. I think you don't breath as heavily when you sleep. I don't know if I explained that good enough.....

Is it possible when you are sitting up, the hose is pulling the mask off your face, but isn't when you are laying down??

I was wondering the same thing jfulcer asked.

Before I got my nasal pillow mask I had frequent leaks. My doctor and I suspected this because I was still not feeling rested. Additionally, I had condensation (I have a humidifier attached to mine) that would run out.

I started out with the nasalaire mask. It is like an oxygen cannula that goes into the nostrils, over the cheeks and behind the ears then to the front again. There is a band holding it in place behind the neck. I love it. I got a replacement mask and bumped up a size. This seems to help with leaks.

I have a very small nose and very oily, sensitive skin so I was concerned about the masks. You can do a search for the nasalaire mask, I have found it on most of the cpap sites. One of the selling points is the ease of reading/tv with it on.

The link for the mask is www.innomedinc.com

I was waking up in the night too. I was told that because my number is so high (18) the air force upon exhale was what was waking me up and causing leaks . I have changed to a bipap machine and that has stopped the leaks. Now if I can just get my insurance to pay for the bipap.......

Originally posted by powellrj
Now if I can just get my insurance to pay for the bipap.......

Thankfully my insurance paid for everything 100%, including the CPAP.

My dad had to get a BIPAP also. Guess I caught mine before it got that bad...

I've always been concerned about the nasal pillow masks and irritation. I've heard that it is harder on the nostrils (obviously) and haven't tried one yet. Anyone want to alleviate my concerns?

DH sleeps with a cpap. I have difficulty sleeping sometimes because of the air coming from the bottom of the mask. I get stiff necks when the air blows directly on me.

Originally posted by jfulcer

I've always been concerned about the nasal pillow masks and irritation. I've heard that it is harder on the nostrils (obviously) and haven't tried one yet. Anyone want to alleviate my concerns?

I had some irritation the first week. I think this was because the nurse/technician/whatever put in the larger size pillows. When I put the smaller size pillows in the irritation stopped getting worse. The only problem was that they would continue to re-irritate the already sore areas. I ended up healing them by putting mineral oil on the sore areas during the day and KY Jelly just before I put the mask on. Now that they are healed, I don't have to do either-- just wear the right size pillow.

If you want to run some equipment questions by an expert, try www.cpaman.com I have used nasal pillows and they also leaked for me. The goldseal mask works for me with respects to leaks but is more expensive than a standard mask.

Good luck.

Originally posted by DonnaS
I had some irritation the first week. I think this was because the nurse/technician/whatever put in the larger size pillows. When I put the smaller size pillows in the irritation stopped getting worse. The only problem was that they would continue to re-irritate the already sore areas.

Do you have problems using the nasal pillows when congested more so than with a regular mask? I find it difficult to use the mask when I'm going through a cold, but medicine clears it up enough so it's not TOO bad, but there still are times....

I ended up healing them by putting mineral oil on the sore areas during the day and KY Jelly just before I put the mask on.

Ok, after I got over the laughter about imaginig my parents/friends coming over and seeing KY Jelly on the nightstand and wondering about it.... I assume you use KY because it was less greasy than vaseline. Have there been other times you've had to use this to help with your mask? As in during colds like I mentioned above, etc??

Talk to your medical supply vendor. There are a host of different masks and headgear that can be tried to give you a better fit.

jfulcer,
I use a nasal spray because I have two types of inflammation in my nasal passages and this helps keep it under control. One type is the normal allergic type and the other is something else-- I forget the name. I also clear out my nostrils (blow, whatever) prior to masking).

I use the KY because I'm afraid the petroleum product in the vaseline might damage the nasal pillows. Once the sores heeled up, all was fine and I haven't had to reuse it.

Great replies guys. In answer to why I'm watching tv.....I'm laying down, ready for sleep, and my ritual is 15 mins or so of tv. I put it on a timer. Just that I have my head up a little to see the tv. I must call back to my suppliers to try other masks.

I will look into some of your suggestions. Right now I'm in sunny Florida (not WDW :( ). for a week, but I didn't bring the machine. Too bulky.

You could wait to put on the mask until your timer goes off. My husband reads before going to sleep. He just puts the mask on when he is finished.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter