Covid And The Rest of Us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes as Jrb posted above, gyms, spin and yoga studios, kids sports (not in a school setting), all those must shut down til at least Nov 23. We are discouraged from travelling outside the lower mainland, no one in our house who is not in our immediate family, work from home if you can.
That was the snatch of it I heard on the news. Do you think there will be any problem with compliance?

Yes I do because that has been a HUGE problem here the past few weeks despite the public health office saying knock it off! People are selfish twits.
Its a problem even here in Ontario. What's frustrating about all of this is that for the most part people follow social distancing and wearing masks in public but yet throw it out the window when visiting family and friends.

Yes I do because that has been a HUGE problem here the past few weeks despite the public health office saying knock it off! People are selfish twits.
:confused3 Personally, I'm fine with official mandates, in fact I think the idea of "suggestions and recommendations" is pretty pointless. No use being disappointed or angry with people who aren't doing anything they aren't allowed to do. If it's that vital, mandate it through whatever level of authority is applicable. For example, here in Alberta, nobody wore masks; nobody wanted to. Overnight practically everybody wears them, even though probably still nobody wants to.

I feel kind of bad posting my updates now - but you know that we definitely did it tough to get to this point. We are on 9 straight days of double donuts - 0 cases and 0 deaths - with a 14 day average of 0.4 cases a day and only 4 active cases remaining. There’s almost certainly more cases out there, but it is still wonderful news.

As of midnight tonight we will be free to travel anywhere around the state, hospitality can have 40 indoors and 70 outdoors, gyms and indoor sports can open with up to 20 people, entertainment can open with 20 per space, overnight accommodation can operate with limits and religious gatherings can have 20 indoors or 50 outdoors. Even more restrictions will ease on 23 November, which is also when we can travel to NSW.

I feel kind of bad posting my updates now - but you know that we definitely did it tough to get to this point. We are on 9 straight days of double donuts - 0 cases and 0 deaths - with a 14 day average of 0.4 cases a day and only 4 active cases remaining. There’s almost certainly more cases out there, but it is still wonderful news.

As of midnight tonight we will be free to travel anywhere around the state, hospitality can have 40 indoors and 70 outdoors, gyms and indoor sports can open with up to 20 people, entertainment can open with 20 per space, overnight accommodation can operate with limits and religious gatherings can have 20 indoors or 50 outdoors. Even more restrictions will ease on 23 November, which is also when we can travel to NSW.
:flower3: As I said up-thread, what happens in Australia will be very significant for the world. If your status holds; that says something about the approach. If, shortly after things open back up, cases emerge and rise again, IMO that will mean there is no way to "beat" Covid. And I agree with @Mackenzie Click-Mickelson - of course we all wish you well.

Just the lower mainland, out to Chilliwack/Hope. I believe Whistler would also be included as they are part of Coastal Health I think...so not the island, not the interior.

You are correct, Whistler is part of the Vancouver Coastal Health. Coastal and Fraser are the only two health regions that have the new restrictions because they have been our hot spots. The orange and light green areas are the ones affected.

We thought we were safe to book a December trip to Whistler but since we are in Island Health it looks like that is going to be off unless they lift the restrictions before Dec 15th. I've got until next Sunday to cancel the hotel without penalty, I think to be safe I'm going to do that and just rebook if/when they lift the restrictions.

Sure, we could easily go from our house to the hotel without ever getting out of our car, but not only is that against the order set out yesterday, but it's just not worth the risk.

:confused3 Personally, I'm fine with official mandates, in fact I think the idea of "suggestions and recommendations" is pretty pointless. No use being disappointed or angry with people who aren't doing anything they aren't allowed to do. If it's that vital, mandate it through whatever level of authority is applicable. For example, here in Alberta, nobody wore masks; nobody wanted to. Overnight practically everybody wears them, even though probably still nobody wants to.

THIS! Is actually that which I was alluding to from the get go. The larger fines for Non Compliance was a great deterrent too. The pocket book hit always hurts! Of course the latter sits well with me because as a retired automobile insurance underwriter, I know how a significant raise in premiums always netted good results further down the line.

Last edited:
My younger brother on Vancouver Is. while not under the stricter B. C. mandate is concerned about their close proximity to Comox, and specifically the Airport where Westjet is reporting a possible outbreak on a Calgary Alberta run.

Last edited:
You are correct, Whistler is part of the Vancouver Coastal Health. Coastal and Fraser are the only two health regions that have the new restrictions because they have been our hot spots. The orange and light green areas are the ones affected.

View attachment 537190

We thought we were safe to book a December trip to Whistler but since we are in Island Health it looks like that is going to be off unless they lift the restrictions before Dec 15th. I've got until next Sunday to cancel the hotel without penalty, I think to be safe I'm going to do that and just rebook if/when they lift the restrictions.

Sure, we could easily go from our house to the hotel without ever getting out of our car, but not only is that against the order set out yesterday, but it's just not worth the risk.
:confused: Just curious - why is that little chunk of the mainland part of the Island Health Region? How can the zones adjacent to it on either side be in trouble but that location be OK?

:confused: Just curious - why is that little chunk of the mainland part of the Island Health Region? How can the zones adjacent to it on either side be in trouble but that location be OK?
I *think* that is the sunshine coast and Powell River, right? If so they are not accessible by road from the lower mainland, only by ferry. So that would make them part of Island Health (just like Bowen Island and the Gulf Islands).

@Aladora oh that's a bummer :( The new restrictions are due to expire November 23 but I would be shocked if they just let them expire. I have a feeling they will extend them through to December 31.

We are slowly going back in the right direction in the Netherlands. The peak is over 11K on the 30th, today was 5.7K new infections. Last few days more people out of IC than in (single digits, but still)

- Still people getting fined over illegal parties
- The weather was gorgeous so we had some problems at beaches/forests etc.
- Very big problem, there is a shortage of puzzles! There are 6 times more puzzles sold this year than the year before :P I am not worried, I have about 30 puzzles of at least 1.000 pieces in my home ;-)
- We get more and more reports of people getting Corona for the 2nd time, and there is no pattern yet. Some people have milder symptoms, with some it's worse the 2nd time.
- Most likely we will get a bit more freedom with Christmas, but nothing known yet.
- On Saturday there was a demonstration against the measures, about 300 people were there. No issues.
- An employers organisation has created a plan to go back to normal workwise. This will be done by very extensive testing. Basically go to work, get tested, if negative you can stay, if you test positive you go home for the next 10 days. This for the
I have to see if this is going to work.
- Politicians are still really divided on the topic of curfews (between 22:00 - 04:00 hours).

I *think* that is the sunshine coast and Powell River, right? If so they are not accessible by road from the lower mainland, only by ferry. So that would make them part of Island Health (just like Bowen Island and the Gulf Islands).

On our Bucket List is Gibsons, and hopefully it will happen one day... sigh.

I’m in the part of Ontario hardest hit right now, peel region. The province has set out guidelines but the region itself has set even harsher guidelines. Yard visits are out, only people from your household allowed inside your house, weddings have been banned until January, and there’s more but I can’t recall it all right now. I received word of exposure in the classroom I have worked in but I’m 99% sure of who it was and I had no interaction with her. That’s unnerving though, to have it hit so close. I really hope it gets under control but knowing the community it probably won’t. They just put their holiday celebrations ahead of isolation and there’s Diwali this weekend. I see more outbreaks coming from that :(

1397 cases today in Quebec. This is the largest single day increase since the pandemic began. 9 deaths, which will almost surely get revised at some point, as we have had about 20-30 daily. We have 527 in the hospital, 77 of those in ICU 😕 I feel you @fab1976 , I don’t know how much stricter things can get here. I’m sure you have this same heat (summer) spell 😀. Which is fantastic, but makes me nervous about numbers rising. We went out driving yesterday, and ooh boy the waterfronts were jammed packed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter