Counterfeit blue cards? Wow.

That's a little different than your original premise that one needed to spend $1000 on a new phone every 1-2 years to keep up. In reality you're frustrated that a $100 phone that's 5-6 years old no longer meets the minimum requirements. There's a lot of middle ground there.

The problem with any technology is that the longer you support older equipment, it holds back development for newer platforms. The vast majority willingly upgrade their hardware before falling victim to software incompatibilities. Being on the wrong side of that is a choice.

We can do a lot of mental gymnastics to argue the theory that "everything Disney does is designed to make money." Sometimes that money making is borne out of making customers lives easier. For instance, adding the Magic Mobile features to smartphones and watches, which lessens / eliminates the need for MagicBands.

Discounts are designed to increase spending. That doesn't happen if barriers are deliberately erected to reduce access to the discount.

The digital ID cards for DVC and AP take seconds to set up and are supported on smartphones carried by the vast majority of Disney guests. Resisting the setup process is a choice.
Amen. Some people just like to argue. And resist.

That's a little different than your original premise that one needed to spend $1000 on a new phone every 1-2 years to keep up. In reality you're frustrated that a $100 phone that's 5-6 years old no longer meets the minimum requirements. There's a lot of middle ground there.

The problem with any technology is that the longer you support older equipment, it holds back development for newer platforms. The vast majority willingly upgrade their hardware before falling victim to software incompatibilities. Being on the wrong side of that is a choice.

We can do a lot of mental gymnastics to argue the theory that "everything Disney does is designed to make money." Sometimes that money making is borne out of making customers lives easier. For instance, adding the Magic Mobile features to smartphones and watches, which lessens / eliminates the need for MagicBands.

Discounts are designed to increase spending. That doesn't happen if barriers are deliberately erected to reduce access to the discount.

The digital ID cards for DVC and AP take seconds to set up and are supported on smartphones carried by the vast majority of Disney guests. Resisting the setup process is a choice.
You're not wrong.

The march of technology is wearing on us, I guess. It's relentless, it's expensive, it feels like a constant new learning curve... I guess we're just tired of trying to keep up. DH and of course my parents, moreso than myself, but still. It's just tiresome. And I'm just really frustrated by the whole phone-centric culture that keeps getting more and more invasive. Just mho, that's all. I really am not trying to be argumentative, and I keep saying you're right about the points you're making, you're not wrong. Just different life experiences, different priorities, different opinions, and yes, different choices. It doesn't seem that too many people share my view, so maybe (even though I knew DOS back in 1990 in order to access Word Perfect on my first desktop) I am a Luddite now, LOL. I love computers but I hate phones. I'm well aware that may seem irrational to you, but it is what it is. Maybe Disney is no longer going to be a place for people like me, and maybe I need to come to terms with that.

Last edited:
I just returned from our trip. I didn't feel I used my phone any more than I do daily. (I"m not on my phone at all for work) I don't find it crazy to pull up my DVC card in my apple wallet (I was asked to show it at many places - some did actually ask for id as well). Phone culture stinks, but it is what it is. So DH works in tech security, Apple's platform certifies every application before it goes onto the app store. Where android allows for unvetted apps to be placed on their platform. That's why apple users have an easier time. He used much bigger words to describe the process LOL

So I just heard from a cast member that the reason why dvc switched to the digital cards is because people were getting counterfeit blue cards from a third party vendor!! Now it all makes sense. I couldn’t figure out why they switched. The digital cards are a total PITA for me. People ruin everything. Reminds me of the 80s when people bought fake IDs.

I prefer the digital, we stopped using the physical once digital ones were a thing, one less thing to carry..lol.

I prefer the digital, we stopped using the physical once digital ones were a thing, one less thing to carry..lol.
Armed with the digital card, mobile ordering, mobile checkout, Apple Pay and a Magic Band, I’ve started leaving my wallet in my backpack safely locked away in a locker. I’d hate losing a phone and paying to replace, but there’s too much in my wallet that can’t so easily be replaced or lived without while on vacation (like ID, credit cards, insurance card, etc). With what’s in my wallet, I can get a new phone.

Armed with the digital card, mobile ordering, mobile checkout, Apple Pay and a Magic Band, I’ve started leaving my wallet in my backpack safely locked away in a locker. I’d hate losing a phone and paying to replace, but there’s too much in my wallet that can’t so easily be replaced or lived without while on vacation (like ID, credit cards, insurance card, etc). With what’s in my wallet, I can get a new phone.

And, I have the screenshot of my license on my phone so I can leave all my stuff at the resort, locked in the safe!

Cruise line does it. They're even more sophisticated because your tap also pulls up your photo on the computer screen so they can visually confirm your identity.

Your MB knows it, it's their register that isn't set up to read it. That's why tapping into the park gets you the "Welcome Home" message.
It's funny though with tapping into the park...50% of the time I just get green and 50% of the time it's purple. And this is on first tap of the day as well, so it's not like a park hop where it already previously tapped purple etc. Not consistent, which is a bit strange.

It's funny though with tapping into the park...50% of the time I just get green and 50% of the time it's purple. And this is on first tap of the day as well, so it's not like a park hop where it already previously tapped purple etc. Not consistent, which is a bit strange.
That's intentional. It's meant to be a "magic moment," it's not like it's a bug when it doesn't happen.

That's intentional. It's meant to be a "magic moment," it's not like it's a bug when it doesn't happen.
Really? I find that one a bit odd. That one doesn't make any sense to me at all since 99% of the time when it goes purple the CMs don't acknowledge it anyway (so zero magic, lol). But if that's true at least it explains why it happens.

Really? I find that one a bit odd. That one doesn't make any sense to me at all since 99% of the time when it goes purple the CMs don't acknowledge it anyway (so zero magic, lol). But if that's true at least it explains why it happens.
Just did a bit more reading on this...found some strings here from earlier this year. Some people get it all the time, every time at every park. Some of the kids in the family even get it. Someone said they called DVC guest services who said it was a glitch if it doesn't come on every single time and that they're working to fix that. My wife is on all our deeds and she never -- not once -- has seen it (and she has a DVC and MDE account). This sounds more realistic (the glitch angle) to me vs it being a magical moment, since it's 100% of the time for some and almost never for others. Oh well. I pretty much ignore it now anyway since it comes across as a glitch in our case (which a Magical Moment should definitely not appear as a glitch, lol).

Just did a bit more reading on this...found some strings here from earlier this year. Some people get it all the time, every time at every park. Some of the kids in the family even get it. Someone said they called DVC guest services who said it was a glitch if it doesn't come on every single time and that they're working to fix that. My wife is on all our deeds and she never -- not once -- has seen it (and she has a DVC and MDE account). This sounds more realistic (the glitch angle) to me vs it being a magical moment, since it's 100% of the time for some and almost never for others. Oh well. I pretty much ignore it now anyway since it comes across as a glitch in our case (which a Magical Moment should definitely not appear as a glitch, lol).
I have a DVC Magic Band, so I’m not sure if that’s why I always had the purple light and the “Welcome Home!” sound when I tapped in, but during the course of our August trip this summer, nothing happened at all except an uneventful quick sound. Not sure what changed, but I want my fun sounds/purple glow back!

I have a DVC Magic Band, so I’m not sure if that’s why I always had the purple light and the “Welcome Home!” sound when I tapped in, but during the course of our August trip this summer, nothing happened at all except an uneventful quick sound. Not sure what changed, but I want my fun sounds/purple glow back!
We had the same issue this August. Our oldest daughter(7) got the purple “Welcome Home”. My wife and I got a quick green flash. One CM said that the touch points were updating, but I doubt the updates would take 10 days.

We had the same issue this August. Our oldest daughter(7) got the purple “Welcome Home”. My wife and I got a quick green flash. One CM said that the touch points were updating, but I doubt the updates would take 10 days.
“They’re ‘updating.’” 🤣

And, I have the screenshot of my license on my phone so I can leave all my stuff at the resort, locked in the safe!
Do the cast members accept the picture of your ID? I would prefer to leave all my stuff in my wallet in the room also...

LOL. Like you couldn't just photoshop a DVC Y into an image and show that to a cast member. This is not a foolproof system. And I'm not sure they really care. There are so many discount programs, they build these into the profit margin. Like Kohls

Do the cast members accept the picture of your ID? I would prefer to leave all my stuff in my wallet in the room also...

So far, yes..well, I think once in Germany a few years ago they didn’t, but all my trips on the past year they have without issue!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter