Fort Sumter off in the distance

IMG_7145.jpg

IMG_7149.jpg

IMG_7151.jpg

IMG_7152.jpg

We took a different route on the way back

IMG_7154.jpg

IMG_7155.jpg

We saw this house and thought it was gorgeous!

IMG_7156.jpg

IMG_7157.jpg

We walked across the street and read the sign outside the gate

IMG_7159.jpg

We saw that they were open for tours during the day, so we decided to come back the next day and check it out.

IMG_7160.jpg

IMG_7161.jpg

IMG_7162.jpg

Continued in the next post

After our long walk we were ready to sit down for awhile. We went to Bubba Gump Shrimp Company and just sat at the bar. We ordered a drink and a couple of appetizers. While we were there it started POURING so we ordered another drink to wait out the storm, and another, and another.......yes, it was a long storm, and yes, our bar bill was extensive :laughing:

On Sunday, our last day, we had decided to tour some homes, beginning with the Calhoun Mansion that we had seen the day before.

We were a bit early, so we walked through one of the cemeteries on the way where we saw our former Vice President's grave

IMG_7165.jpg

IMG_7166.jpg

IMG_7167.jpg

Then we walked over and purchased our tickets for the tour. While we were waiting for it to start, I took some pictures in the garden

IMG_7168.jpg

IMG_7169.jpg

IMG_7170.jpg

IMG_7171.jpg

IMG_7173.jpg

IMG_7174.jpg

Again, no pictures inside. This tour was a bit of disappointment. You find out pretty quickly, that a Calhoun never actually lived in that house. It was named the Calhoun Mansion because one of the daughters of the original owner married Calhoun's grandson or something, so therefore they were able to use the name. Basically, it gets people in the door......

Anyway, there were some very beautiful aspects of the home, but they were hard to see because of all the 'stuff' that was in there. It seems as though the current owner likes to collect 'stuff', very expensive, very rare, stuff, and there was a ton of it. Everywhere. It was just too much and really not the kind of experience we were looking for.

Afterwards we wanted to tour the Old Slave Mart

IMG_7175.jpg

But unfortunately they were closed on Sundays.

We ate some lunch instead and waited for the next home to open. It was the Nathaniel Russell House and it was much more in keeping with what we were hoping to see.

IMG_7177.jpg

IMG_7178.jpg

IMG_7179.jpg

IMG_7180.jpg

It had been refurbished to look like a home would have looked during the time that it was built. I would recommend this one to anyone traveling to Charleston

After we finished there we walked back down to Battery Park and toured the Edmonston-Alston House. I would recommend this one as well, we maybe even enjoyed this one a bit more. This home was actually still furnished with things that belong to the Alston family. It was also pretty neat to stand on the upstairs balcony and learn that the Confederate General stood in that very spot and watched the initial attack on Fort Sumter!

We called it a day after that. That night we went to Halls again for dinner and again it was fabulous. Our flight left very early the next morning, so that was the end of our adventure!

Michelle, thank you for sharing your photos of Charleston with us. It sounds like a wonderful trip and someplace that I think Mark would enjoy. You got great photos and I enjoyed looking at all of them.

Wow Michelle what lovely photos of Charleston - it looks like you had a great trip!

:woohoo: on leaving tomorrow!! Have an amazing time and I look forward to seeing pics of all the F&W goodies :goodvibes

Love your pictures of Charleston. We must get back there and see Ft. Sumter and Boone Plantation. That was absolutely beautfiul.

Hope you have a great time over the next several days and safe travels! Can't wait to read all about it when you return.

What a lovely mini TR! You really got to see a lot of history in just a short time. Those shells in the walls of the fort were massive. How awesome to see all of that! Loved all the pictures. The details on some of those houses are just magnificent. Thanks so much for sharing :)

Thanks for the Charleston pics!!! I was there for a friends wedding... VERY nice!!

This has to be where Forrest Gump was filmed. That is absolutely gorgeous!

I am so kicking myself right now. About 2 years ago my husband was offered a promotion, but he had to move to Charleston for it. We turned it down because we didn't want to move away from here. After seeing your pictures, I know I could easily live there! It is beautiful!!!

I love all the fort pictures. We would have liked doing all the stuff you did. Whenever we go to a historical place like that we always read the tombstones too. It is so fascinating to think about the people who lived back then. It's amazing how many of the graves are those of babies or young children too. Makes you realize how fortunate we are to live during a time with good medical care.

The waterfront is gorgeous! :cloud9: Love the palm trees!

You have convinced me that I need to be planning a trip there. I will be going back and making some notes from your post too. The restaurants sound great! Heck, it all sounds great! I'm glad you guys had a good time. It looks like a perfect adults only trip.

I am so glad your D & B was found. I would have seriously thought about turning around and waiting for the ship to come back. :rotfl2:

Sorry about KSC- Sometimes husbands can just get something stuck in there craw and not let go.

Charleston is wonderful isn't it. We went one year over Thanskgiving and toured the ship. I had seafood for Thanksgiving dinner and had a nice time.

:worship::worship::worship:Thank You! :worship::worship::worship:

Stunning pictures! The scenery is gorgeous! I want to live there. I know as soon as I see it I will want to retire there! Can't wait!!!!!!

Bummer about no inside pictures. :headache: Definitely going to Boone Hall. I also want to do a carriage tour. Our time there is limited!

Thanks so much for posting. I love the hotel - that's right up my alley.

Have an awesome time in Disney!

Michelle, you take some of the most gorgeous pictures on the Dis. Seriously. :goodvibes I hope by now you have landed and are in WDW! Enjoy!! :cloud9:

I would've totally freaked about the bag being left. I think I would've been sick for those 5 days.
I love the Charleston pictures. I didn't read through, just looked at the pictures, now I need to go back and read. I would love to tour that area.

I'm so glad that you found the bag, i woould have been sweating bullets!

I want to go to Charleston more than ever, then drive down to Savannah. What a trip that would be!

We went to a plantation in Louisiana, Shadows on the Teche. It was furnished just as if the family left for the day, lovely. We also went to a mansion in Butte, Mt. It was the former home of a silver king & jhad been turned into a B&B. There was so much stuff in there that it was creepy to the max!!

While you are in WDW having a grand ol' time, I am taking the opportunity to catch up! :goodvibes

Love the group photo of you guys and Anita's group! Very cute!

I feel your pain over Don not wanting to see the shuttle and wanting to get on the road. You know Charles is always champing at the bit to get going on the last day -- we wouldn't have even made it to KSC. :sad2:

Ugh, how sickening about the purse, but thank goodness Disney found it and sent it back to you! What a relief!

Love, love, love all your pictures from your Charleston trip! They made me want to be back there! So glad you enjoyed your trip there!

This picture is of the Dock Street Theater. During my senior year and freshman year of college, I was a stage manager for Charleston Stage Company that did plays and productions there.

IMG_7054.jpg

Thanks for the walk down memory lane!!!

What a quaint city! You got some lovely pictures-- glad you had such a lovely time!

The question has not been answered so far as I've read: Did Disney turn the Grump into a Believer? I'm not convinced! Kick him for not rebooking on the ship and for missing the shuttle! I would've loved to do both!

And I almost bought that D&B bag through the Disney Store site for about $125-$150 (coupon) but I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a purse! A friend has promised me her D&B purse for Christmas...2012! Hope the world doesn't end before I get to enjoy it!

I AM IN LOVE with the Cabana! The family you shared the cabana with, how did y'all meet? And if you didn't know each other beforehand, how did y'all arrange to share the cabana? Your two famalies had more than 6 people. Was that ok?

Thanks for a GREAT trip report! I thoroughly enjoyed it and learned a lot!

Hi everyone! Well I am back from my girls trip to WDW and I had a fantastic time! I had the best roomie ever in Happydog, for two people who had never actually met, we got along very well and had a really great time. Outside of one night of rain, we had fabulous weather! Food & Wine was amazing, I definitely want to partake in that again in the future, I didn't try one thing that I didn't like. And lots of fun was had at MNSSHP :thumbsup2

I'll be back to catch up on replies here soon, I need to get caught up on home :laundy: and work :surfweb: first though! We will be doing a TR from the girls trip, Happydog and I are going to do a joint report since our experiences were basically the same, and Jenjolt and Wigdoutdismom will throw in their 2 cents as well, I'll post a link here once we get it going.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter