Coral Reef nothing for party of 7

CopperWife

Mouseketeer
Good morning. Trying to make an ADR for Coral Reef for a party of 7 per my children’s request. However, nothing is coming up with 7 or even 8. Plenty of spots for parties of 4 but I’m unable to hold two ADRs (smaller parties) at the same time.

Is there a work around or do i just need to call?

You'll either need 2 people in your dining party to make separate reservations for 4 and 3 - or you'll need to call the WDWDINE phone line. A cast member can make 2 reservations in your name around the same time. If you cannot get a single reservation for 7, but get 2 separate reservations, check in a few minutes early and ask to sit together or close together. Restaurants have been pretty good, in our experience, at getting us together. Good luck!

You'll either need 2 people in your dining party to make separate reservations for 4 and 3 - or you'll need to call the WDWDINE phone line. A cast member can make 2 reservations in your name around the same time. If you cannot get a single reservation for 7, but get 2 separate reservations, check in a few minutes early and ask to sit together or close together. Restaurants have been pretty good, in our experience, at getting us together. Good luck!
Thank you for the reply! I did call this morning and figured a cast member could help but she said she couldn’t. 🤷🏻‍♀️ She advised another person in my party to make a reservation so I will be headed to my MIL’s today to help her with all that 😂

There is actually a work around. Make another member of your party the lead guest on the first reservation. I used my adult daughter. I was able to use my credit card to hold the ressie. Then book the second reservation in your name.

Thank you for the reply! I did call this morning and figured a cast member could help but she said she couldn’t. 🤷🏻‍♀️ She advised another person in my party to make a reservation so I will be headed to my MIL’s today to help her with all that 😂
Seriously? We just had a large group in December, and the cast member was great - she set up reservations, in my name, to correspond to the restaurant and time I had made my own 'partial' reservation. It took her 10 minutes to handle my 'additional' reservations. I know it's not ideal, but you might've gotten a cast member who didn't have experience with this situation - might be worth another call. Or get someone else to help you out in your group.

There is actually a work around. Make another member of your party the lead guest on the first reservation. I used my adult daughter. I was able to use my credit card to hold the ressie. Then book the second reservation in your name.
You can’t do this anymore. If you go into MDE and try to make a reservation, you should see that it automatically makes the MDE holder the primary guest with no way to change it. Someone corrected me a few days ago when I suggested the same as you; naturally, I thought the person was incorrect, but I went to check and was surprised they were right. I had just done the split res thing in January. Not a fan of this change.

You can’t do this anymore. If you go into MDE and try to make a reservation, you should see that it automatically makes the MDE holder the primary guest with no way to change it. Someone corrected me a few days ago when I suggested the same as you; naturally, I thought the person was incorrect, but I went to check and was surprised they were right. I had just done the split res thing in January. Not a fan of this change.
Thanks for the correction. I was not aware this had changed.

I would call again. My 60 days date was March 14, party of 7 and had to call for help. the cast member was able to set up the second half of my reservation with no issue.

Also, as others have said, I could not find a way to change the primary on the reservation (tried app and site) myself. That may be an option that is no longer available. It ought to be available, if you ask me!

Also, as others have said, I could not find a way to change the primary on the reservation (tried app and site) myself. That may be an option that is no longer available. It ought to be available, if you ask me!
Hear, hear, Disney!

My guess is this is another example of why we can’t have nice things. I’d guess that for every person on here doing the for something legit like a large party there are a lot more doing it to grab as many ADRs as they can and then decide which they want later, thus making it harder for people who want them to get them until last-minute. (It would actually affect staffing budget as well because they might staff for what they think will be full/sold-out but then people drop the reservations and they may not be picked up because people not able to get them either find other things or make other plans (and not everyone knows to look within 2 hours or about the walk-up waitlist) so tables go empty.

My guess is this is another example of why we can’t have nice things. I’d guess that for every person on here doing the for something legit like a large party there are a lot more doing it to grab as many ADRs as they can and then decide which they want later, thus making it harder for people who want them to get them until last-minute. (It would actually affect staffing budget as well because they might staff for what they think will be full/sold-out but then people drop the reservations and they may not be picked up because people not able to get them either find other things or make other plans (and not everyone knows to look within 2 hours or about the walk-up waitlist) so tables go empty.
Yes, sadly - this. Seems like too many people doing their 'planning' by not actually planning - just grabbing ADRs and then deciding much later what want to do and where they want to eat. I've been reading other posts where folks are saying they're finding ADRs easier to get than they expected. Well, in my mind, part of that reason is that a person can no longer hold 3/4/5 ADRs at the same time (maybe even multiple ADRs over multiple days)..... And it also impacts those, like the OP, who just want to make ADRs for their larger group - makes that way more complicated now.

Not sure how MDE works currently, but a couple of years ago we went to Disney with 2 other families. One person setup all of the ADR's. One evening we planned to split up and eat at 2 different restaurants and MDE would NOT let that person hold 2 different ADR's for the same date/time. I assume it has worked that way for a number of years and isn't a recent change.

Surely they have a smart enough IT department o be able to figure out that as long as you have no more reserved spots than people in your party at one time (at one or more locations) then you should be able to make those ADRs. That would eliminate the problem of multiple reservations for the whole party at once and would cost Disney less in 'in person' support of folks having to call in for assistance.

Surely they have a smart enough IT department o be able to figure out that as long as you have no more reserved spots than people in your party at one time (at one or more locations) then you should be able to make those ADRs. That would eliminate the problem of multiple reservations for the whole party at once and would cost Disney less in 'in person' support of folks having to call in for assistance.
No reservation app allows for this - OpenTable, Tock, Resy. It's good practice to keep people from hoarding reservations. Has nothing to do with "IT." As someone who works in IT, this is expected behavior aka works as intended.

Have you met Disney's IT department? It crashes the moment any new discount comes out. Or on any given day that ends in "y".

Not sure how MDE works currently, but a couple of years ago we went to Disney with 2 other families. One person setup all of the ADR's. One evening we planned to split up and eat at 2 different restaurants and MDE would NOT let that person hold 2 different ADR's for the same date/time. I assume it has worked that way for a number of years and isn't a recent change.
It is a recent change - I did it in January. If you needed to make two overlapping reservations for a large party, you make the first reservation using another member of the MDE owner’s family and friends as primary. Then you could make a second reservation using the MDE owner as the primary. I did this quite often when traveling with extended family when no large party reservations were available. Now I’m going to have to make the dreaded phone call or teach the others how to make a dining reservation, although I won’t be able to trust them to rise and shine for 6am est…

No reservation app allows for this - OpenTable, Tock, Resy. It's good practice to keep people from hoarding reservations. Has nothing to do with "IT." As someone who works in IT, this is expected behavior aka works as intended.
Actually I am an IT director at my company and can think of very simple solutions for this. It may work as they intend, but I am suggesting they can think bigger/better/more efficient.

Actually I am an IT director at my company and can think of very simple solutions for this. It may work as they intend, but I am suggesting they can think bigger/better/more efficient.
Yes, the simple solution is to have 1 reservation per lead in a 2 hour slot - which is what this is intended to do. I'm also a director in IT so we can do this all day 🤣

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter