• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

COP, has it changed since

My family prefers the original song although I do find myself humming the other song especially when I hear it in Tomorrowland as background music.

Now I’ve got “There’s a great big beautiful tomorrow...” playing on repeat in my head...that song always makes me smile

Hey @Robo do you have the script of the semi-original D-Land version? I have that audio on an old cassette somewhere, and it would definitely not fly today. References to "the man of the house" earning a living for his family, and how long it takes the wife to do the chores, and such. Not to mention a reference to "our new General Electric nuclear power plant", which would have been more controversial in the 80s than it would be now.
The dog also had a different name in each scene - as I recall, Rover, Buster, and Sport.

In a way, this attraction changed my life - it was the reference to "our new video tape recorder", which got me to where I couldn't wait to buy my first VCR. Didn't actually happen until 1979, though - for 900 bucks!

Yes, we saw the CoP at D-Land back in the 60s as well. I remember at the end walking up onto the sixth "pie slice" to go upstairs on an escalator to see the big diorama of Progress City. (Sadly, very little of that diorama still exists.)

And for trivia aficionados, I read in an old issue of Celebrations Magazine that there is a Sorcerer's Apprentice hat to the right of the shaker machine that the teenage daughter is using in one scene. Hope it's still there, I plan to look for it next time we go!

Hey @Robo do you have the script of the semi-original D-Land version?
1. I have that audio on an old cassette somewhere,
2. and it would definitely not fly today.

Yes, we saw the CoP at D-Land back in the 60s as well.
3. I remember at the end walking up onto the sixth "pie slice" to go upstairs on an escalator to see the big diorama of Progress City. (Sadly, very little of that diorama still exists.)

1. I have the original audio tracks on a CD.
2. Agreed. Big time. (And, you can be sure that it was not designed to "offend" anyone.)
Just lighthearted banter of husband and wife (and she got "the better" in the conversation, anyway.)
3. That was very exciting.
Everyone in the crowd would carefully examine each section of the miniature city.
(Special attention to the operating attractions at the amusement park depicted.)

I have a connection with both songs. My first trip in 1983 was "Now is the time". My daughters (age 9 & 7) loved that song and basically memorized it the first time they heard it. The girls and I would sing it, on and off, on the drive back to Vermont much to the upset of their mother. That was our first major road trip and was an absolute highlight of my traveling life.

Years later, 2002 to be exact. My girls were grown and married and my wife and I had just split up and I took a solo road trip which included a few days at WDW. I knew the history of "Big Beautiful" and was OK with it, since the days when it was switched back, just still preferred "now is the time". However, that trip I was sort of depressed. Everything in my life had changed and I was kind of lost. I spent a lot of time just sitting and remembering that happy time with the family in 1983. However, as required by law (my law) it was mandatory that I once again see my favorite attraction. For some reason, that time, "Big Beautiful" struck a nerve. I listened to it and decided that it was right. I had to pull myself out of my funk and make the best of things and that "tomorrow was waiting at the end of the day" and it motivated me to stop moping and make some plans and changes and set my life in a positive direction. It seems sappy, but, it really did have that affect on me. Perhaps the time was just right, I don't know, but, what a difference it made in my attitude. I put my life back on track and those years since 2002 have been some of the best years of my life because there was that great big beautiful tomorrow.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter