• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

COP, has it changed since

Lynn CC

<font color=blue>DIS Veteran who is a veteran DISe
2004? It was always my favorite. I see there is no FP needed!

And I hope it never changes. Even my kids would complain about "having to do COP" when they were very young, now its a must do for them (and me). Enjoy!

Nope, and it's a must do for our family. I loved riding it with my grandparents when they went with us. They were depression era children and delighted in adding to each scene with their own memories.

Yeah that last scene is so funny! Love CoP though and hope they never change it, it’s a classic and a must-do for us.

Exactly the same other than maybe in the last scene there wasn't a laptop which there now is.
And they painted the outside.
In the last few years I've noticed many more people in the theater than I used to which makes me very happy.

It's historical, it's supposed to look dated. I'll bet if you look in an encyclopedia under Pure Nostalgia you will find a picture of CoP. It is a treasure of the 60's and the very beginning of Animatronics. They probably will never change it because if they get to much pressure the will do like they did in early 2000 and make it seasonal with a red tag that was going to mean it would disappear. The fewer people that understand that history the quicker it will disappear from some Marvel garbage and will be lost forever.

Exactly the same other than maybe in the last scene there wasn't a laptop which there now is.
And they painted the outside.
In the last few years I've noticed many more people in the theater than I used to which makes me very happy.
I don't know how long but the lap top has been there for some time now. I haven't been on it for three years and I believe it was there when I was.

Laptops were a "thing" in 1988.

The final scene, currently still in use, premiered in 1993.

It's historical, it's supposed to look dated. I'll bet if you look in an encyclopedia under Pure Nostalgia you will find a picture of CoP. It is a treasure of the 60's and the very beginning of Animatronics. They probably will never change it because if they get to much pressure the will do like they did in early 2000 and make it seasonal with a red tag that was going to mean it would disappear. The fewer people that understand that history the quicker it will disappear from some Marvel garbage and will be lost forever.

My family was among those that filled out a petition at guest relations to keep it up and running after we were terribly upset in November 2003 that is was closed and operating "seasonally".
People complain about the last scene being dated and I can see that because the last scene back in the day was supposed to be modern day on the cusp of the future but its about as old as I am now. I wouldn't mind some updated dialogue and video game but to do that you'd need to redo the entire thing with different voice actors and that would kill it for me.

My family was among those that filled out a petition at guest relations to keep it up and running after we were terribly upset in November 2003 that is was closed and operating "seasonally".
People complain about the last scene being dated and I can see that because the last scene back in the day was supposed to be modern day on the cusp of the future but its about as old as I am now. I wouldn't mind some updated dialogue and video game but to do that you'd need to redo the entire thing with different voice actors and that would kill it for me.

No need.
Just look at it as another of the "frozen-in-time" vignettes (like the other scenes before it.)

I don't need to have a so-called "now" scene... one with all members of the family
with their noses tilted towards their cell phones.

To some degree I understand what you are saying, however, at the time of its creation it was supposed to show us the bulk of the 20 century with a peak into the possible future. That last scene is currently old news because we have advance well beyond that, but, if you want your children to understand (or even some of us older people for that matter. I'm 70 and the first part of the century was educational for me.) how far we have gotten from the beginning of the 20th to the end of it... that is where the story stops. We don't need to be shown what the current situation is because we actually live it right now and with the speed of advancement of technology no one can guess what is next or guess at it only to have it be obsolete by the time they can depict it in the show. I don't think you will find Disney ever attempting to predict the future again other then in some Sci-fi way.

Taking a step back...

The REASON there always USED to be a "NOW" scene was when the attraction was created, it was to promote
the purchase of (then) current day GE products, as they were the "shining at the end of every day" things
that were sold by the (then) sponsor of CoP.

It's how Walt Disney presented the idea of the sponsorship to GE.

Many long-time CoP fans remember that when the attraction first opened at the then brand-new Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom in Florida, the featured song was
"The Best Time of Your Life (Now Is the Time)"

Today, the song is "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow."
But, many may not know the reason for the change.

Both of the songs used in CoP are by the Sherman Brothers (Richard and Robert) who wrote lots of the great Disney songs in the 60's (It's a Small World, Mary Poppins... just SO many!)

When Walt Disney himself commissioned the music for CoP he wanted to accentuate the story that "progress" means that even though "today seems great, tomorrow is going to be better." The Shermans responded with "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" (the song that you currently hear in the CoP at WDW.)

Walt LOVED it, it was a huge hit at the 1964 World's Fair in NYC and my family and I got to see/hear it at Disneyland after it was finally set-up there after the fair.

WE loved it and rode that carousel over and over.

When CoP was moved to WDW, the Shermans were asked to write a new song (the CoP was sponsored by GE) that stated that "NOW is the Best Time" ostensibly because it meant to "go ahead and buy appliances TODAY," don't wait until "tomorrow" (or you'll never do it.)

As a kid who had grown up with the ORIGINAL SONG, I was a bit disappointed with the NEW one.

So, years later, when I discovered that the CoP had re-opened with the ORIGINAL song back IN, I was SO HAPPY! (I couldn't believe that the present-day Imagineers had taken the time to nearly RESTORE the new CoP to its earlier Walt Disney-supervised glory!)

I can understand that it those of you who were FIRST-initiated to the CoP with the SECOND song, would have nostalgia for THAT one... but Walt himself chose the FIRST one (that's there now) and I LOVE IT!

BTW, the present voice of the host (and the "father" on-stage) is Jean Shepherd, author and narrator for the perennial
favorite "A Christmas Story" (you'll shoot your eye out!)

The original actor Walt chose for this part was Rex Allen, Sr. who also quite ably narrated most of Disney's "animal films" in the 60's, and who was also a prominent "Cowboy Film Star" in the 50's.

Rex Sr.'s voice is currently that of the Grandfather in the final Christmas vignette of the present CoP. (When I first heard that voice I nearly broke down... what a beautiful tribute to the original show!)

A third voice that's prominently featured is "Cousin Orville" ("No privacy a'tall around this place!")
He is voiced by the great Mel Blanc, Sr. (Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Yosemite Sam, Marvin the Martian... all the WB classic voices AND Barney Rubble!)

Mel is also the voice of the Parrot in another of the CoP scene.
These Mel Blanc tracks were actually lifted FROM the original audio used in the first CoP and, again, is an elegant nod to Walt's creation.

Alas, all three of these wonderful "voices" have passed on... but we can still enjoy their inimitable craftwork in the CoP.
Long may it continue to spin us into the Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow!

:thumbsup2

--------------------------------------------------

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of ev'ry day
And tomorrow's just a dream away

Man has a dream and that's the start
He follows his dream with mind and heart
And when it becomes a reality
It's a dream come true for you and me

So there's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shinin' at the end of ev'ry day
Just a dream away

--------------------------------------------------

The Best Time of Your Life (Now Is the Time)

Chorus:
Now is the time.
Now is the best time.
Now is the best time of your life.

Life is a prize.
Live every minute.
Open your eyes,
And watch how you win it.

Yesterday's mem'ries may sparkle and gleam,
Tomorrow is still but a dream

Right here and now,
you've got it made.
The world's forward marching,
and you're in the parade.

Now is the time.
Now is the best time.
Be it a time of
joy or strife.

There's so much to cheer for.
Be glad you're here for,
It's the best time of your life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter