Considering first trip to Universal. Starting to research...

Kids and I have been to WDW many, many times. However, we've never been to Universal. I was starting to plan a trip to WDW in September, but the costs are higher than I really want to spend right now. Universal seems a bit less expensive and it would be a new place to visit. I know next to nothing about it. I'm going to do research, but hopefully people with experience can chime in.

First, we're staying offsite. What's parking like? Easy to get to the parks from the parking lots?

Are you allowed to bring food in, like you can at WDW?

How long are the lines typically? Like I mentioned, we'd be going in mid-September.

If we've never been there and want to explore all 3 parks, how many days should we allow? In other words, is there nearly as much to see/do as there is at WDW?

Any other advice for an absolute newbie would be welcome! I'm not into Harry Potter at all...or Marvel for that matter...but I'd definitely be excited to just see it and experience it.
That's how I was recently knowing absolutely nothing about Universal Orlando, and putting a sudden plan together in June and for a short trip we did.

We stayed offsite, but took Uber, so I can't comment on the parking. The Uber area pickup, very busy, a little crazy too, I'll say. First night our driver couldn't find us, second night saw an incident happen someone throwing themselves on a driver's hood of the car and yelling at them about supposedly not seeing them while they meandered walking around the pickup lanes, and their partner they were with screaming the other side in the closed window at the driver. Fun times. A different element was up there that night.

Food, yes I saw so many bring in, families in particular. Never was I jealous of a homemade sandwich before. We made food mistakes on certain kiosks (i.e. waited in line for what seemed 20-30 minutes for a pretzel, and another huge mistake of standing in line for Dole Whip at Wimpy's, discovering it is not like standing in line for one at Disney, some closed stands, etc.). And for sit down, the timing we chose for Leaky Cauldron, just bad on our part.

Lines in September, don't know, went in June. And over a weekend. But we waited probably 45 min to an hour for the big ones, I think it was 1.5 for Hagrid's and the other HP one. Went to early to the Bourne show and so there for a long wait before it started but it was the last show of the night and wanted to catch it. Other rides like Cat in the Hat and Woody Woodpecker, simple 10 minutes.

Parks. We skipped VB for the other two parks as we were on a short trip. Spent (regrettably) a day at Sea World instead. We should have went back to the Universal parks.

Other. I'm not an HP fan and neither are my kids, but they loved the rides. There was one HP ride that got me very motion sick. They loved the Popeye's water ride so much more than the Disney Kali River in AK. We stupidly got excited for getting a virtual line for Jimmy Fallon. Turns out, you don't get to race the streets of New York in a car! Well, sort of, it's just that it's not really a car, your car doesn't go. I'd say it's kind of like Star Tours. I'd say there are a lot of virtual rides, and dark rides. If prone to motion sickness or affected by darkness exacerbating certain medical conditions, may want to research what you can take prior, if I go again I'm bringing something.

We stayed offsite, but took Uber, so I can't comment on the parking. The Uber area pickup, very busy, a little crazy too, I'll say. First night our driver couldn't find us, second night saw an incident happen someone throwing themselves on a driver's hood of the car and yelling at them about supposedly not seeing them while they meandered walking around the pickup lanes, and their partner they were with screaming the other side in the closed window at the driver. Fun times. A different element was up there that night.
We prefer to walk over to Hard Rock Hotel and get picked up by Uber there. Its much less busy and easier for the driver to find you. Its the shortest walk of the resorts in walking distance and you do not have to be a hotel guest.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter