Considering DVC - Need advice

bluedoggy

Mouseketeer
My DH and I are long-time Disneynuts... just came back from CSR (trip #14)
I'm thinking that buying into DVC might be right for us (empty-nesters)
We've never stayed at OKW, WL or BW - We have stayed at most of the moderates.
We'd consider a resale - but how nice is OKW? how would it compare to the mod.
hotels? We like the atmosphere at BW - but wouldn't necessarily have to stay there.
Any advice on how to proceed? Besides the yearly maintenance fee are there
any other yearly costs??? Help....

WE too are empty nesters. We purchased DVC in 1997 after both kids were out of the nest. We stayed at moderates and WL before purchasing. OKW is SOOOOO much nicer than the moderates. It doesn't have the embiance of WL, but the space and luxury of the in room washer/dryer and the at home feeling are not to be surpassed! We thought when we purchased that we would use the DVC to stay at some of the deluxe resorts (most notably the GF), but after our first stay in a 1 BR at OKW, we knew that would never happen.

I can not tell you how nice it is to park right outside your door, just like you are at home. We usually take the bus to the parks, but it is SOOOO nice to take the vehicle to the other resorts for dinner ressies etc.

OKW is also a nice relaxing walk to downtown Disney, and is a very relaxing resort. Some will say it is too relaxing, but it is nice to get away from the hustle and bustle after a hectic day at the parks. We have changed our touring style since joining DVC. We no longer act like park commandos! We have enjoyed several years of multiple trips, but are now deciding a longer more relaxing trip is more our style.

You will hear some complain about the lack of daily maid service. We really don't miss it. It feels so much like home that we actually don't like the interference from housekeeping.

If OKW is your style, you should know that you can only purchase it through resales. That is not a bad thing since resales are cheaper than Disney prices right now. Be sure you know about how many points are available on the contract and if any are borrowed etc.

Happy DVC shopping!;)

Thanks for the reply Diane. I see you are in Minnesota. We are here in Central Wis - and the weather forecast for the next few days is making me home-sick for Disney! We don't ever get a car when we go to WDW - since we always just stay onsite- are the buses as prompt at OKW as they are at the other hotels?? I never cook when on vacation - do they have a restaurant or food court? I think buying a resale would be the only way we could afford to do this right now, but I am checking the Resale board on this site. I would think they must be reliable.( or Pete wouldn't let them be here...) Just have to do some research.

We just love OKW. We bought in 1994 and added on in 1996 and bought a resale in 1999.

I sent you a private message so if you click on the PM you can pick it up. I didn't want to bore everyone here with my resale experience.

OKW is very nice to come back to after a hectic and noisy day at the parks. It is very serene. The units are very comfortable and largest of all DVC resorts.

Each resort has it's advantages as you will hear from many members.

Good luck with your decision.

Ed
DVC 1994

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter