• AKV Kidani

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • OKW

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Babsy

DIS Veteran
Background: (time frame: late Nov - early Dec 2019)

So, my daughter has finally agreed to go to WDW on a family trip. She is hesitant to travel because her oldest son (5) is severely anaphylactic to all nuts, seeds, dairy and vegetable oils. So he can never eat out as even the slightest cross contamination is serious for him. SO you can see why she is protective. Milk inadequately cleaned up so a residue remains on the table or other surface could be deadly for him. Bread, or any kind of crumbs with veg/seed oil or dairy (including butter or margarine) in it is deadly. One stray sesame seed.....you get the idea.

We decided that we need to stay in a place where we could buy groceries and cook all our own meals, so DVC is the choice for onsite. We need a 2 bedroom villa for the kids and the grandchildren. DH and I will stay separate, as we have found constant close contact is tiring.

Split stay is out because DD has to thoroughly deep clean every inch of the villa before it is safe. I know that we can get a deep clean done by WDW, and plan to do so, but DD will not trust to that alone. She has special materials that she uses for cleaning. It will take a long time upon arrival, washing all surfaces, including walls and floors, so we only want to do that once.

My son and his family are also going with us, so the total travelling is 10: DS, DDIL, DGD (8), DGD (5), DD, DSIL, DGS (5), DGS (4), DH and me (grandparents, seniors).

Dilemma:

We have narrowed the budget friendly choices down to a two bedroom in OKW, AKL or the BWV. DS and family want BWV, DD and family won't say much/don't know but seem to favour AKL. I want them all to enjoy this vacation, but what they all want is contradictory. Everyone is coming to dinner tonight and I am hoping to get this settled. So, I need to have a clear idea of the situation to present for everyone's consideration. And I won't have long to discuss it with them. No pressure. LOL!

Son's issues: doesn't like a long commute, tends to stay in MK and Epcot areas for proximity to parks. Wants a lock off to have private space. They are rope drop to close people.

Daughter's issues: wants separate sleeping surfaces for the 2 boys as well as ability to use the living room when kids are gone to bed. Her hubby doesn't want to go into the parks everyday and wants a leisurely pace. They have to have a full kitchen to cook meals from scratch, including making own bread and treats for in the parks.

My issues: We need to return to the resort for all meals so commute needs to be efficient. Plus, Everyone needs a good place to get their sleep. DH and I will spend some time cooking so the kids can stay longer in the parks and will babysit at night on occasion, so it would be nice to have a resort where we can be nearby.

Question:

What advice would you give on where to stay? Anything that I need to consider that I'm missing/forgetting/might not know?

Hi @Babsy! :wave2:

I don't really have any good advice for your situation but just wanted to say I always enjoy your helpful resort posts around the DIS. I suspect for you to be asking for help, this one must have you stumped.

It sounds like you have a few conflicting 'issues' with your group and planning for a large crowd is never easy. I wish you the best in coming up with a plan that works best for you and your family.

(But to actually address your dilemma, since "long commute" is a theme for a few parties, my mind kind of goes more to BWV vs the AKL options, although I like AKL as a resort better)

Hi-
First of all, so sorry to hear of your grandson’s condition. So, given your explanation, my understanding is your DD and DS and their families would be staying in the 2 BR villa? If so, I’m not sure that your daughter’s request to not have kids sleeping in living room would work given the number of people unless they plan to put the kids on the floor in the bedrooms, which isn’t impossible. At least one twin air mattress would fit in the bedroom with a king bed.

My vote is BWV as it is within walking distance to two parks, allows you and DH ample choices for your stay, and also ample options for dining. Both OKW and AKL are a bit out of the way (with the exception of OKW access to DS by boat). All your options seem to have to take a bus to MK or AK, unless you walk to Epcot and take the monorail to the transportation center, switch monorails to get to MK.

Also, you haven’t mentioned how you were going to book but would definitely look into renting points as it can be much more cost effective.

No matter what is decided, I hope you and your family have a wonderful vacation- it will be great no matter which resort you choose. Good luck with tonight’s discussion ;)

Last edited:
Background: (time frame: late Nov - early Dec 2019)

So, my daughter has finally agreed to go to WDW on a family trip. She is hesitant to travel because her oldest son (5) is severely anaphylactic to all nuts, seeds, dairy and vegetable oils. So he can never eat out as even the slightest cross contamination is serious for him. SO you can see why she is protective. Milk inadequately cleaned up so a residue remains on the table or other surface could be deadly for him. Bread, or any kind of crumbs with veg/seed oil or dairy (including butter or margarine) in it is deadly. One stray sesame seed.....you get the idea.

We decided that we need to stay in a place where we could buy groceries and cook all our own meals, so DVC is the choice for onsite. We need a 2 bedroom villa for the kids and the grandchildren. DH and I will stay separate, as we have found constant close contact is tiring.

Split stay is out because DD has to thoroughly deep clean every inch of the villa before it is safe. I know that we can get a deep clean done by WDW, and plan to do so, but DD will not trust to that alone. She has special materials that she uses for cleaning. It will take a long time upon arrival, washing all surfaces, including walls and floors, so we only want to do that once.

My son and his family are also going with us, so the total travelling is 10: DS, DDIL, DGD (8), DGD (5), DD, DSIL, DGS (5), DGS (4), DH and me (grandparents, seniors).

Dilemma:

We have narrowed the budget friendly choices down to a two bedroom in OKW, AKL or the BWV. DS and family want BWV, DD and family won't say much/don't know but seem to favour AKL. I want them all to enjoy this vacation, but what they all want is contradictory. Everyone is coming to dinner tonight and I am hoping to get this settled. So, I need to have a clear idea of the situation to present for everyone's consideration. And I won't have long to discuss it with them. No pressure. LOL!

Son's issues: doesn't like a long commute, tends to stay in MK and Epcot areas for proximity to parks. Wants a lock off to have private space. They are rope drop to close people.

Daughter's issues: wants separate sleeping surfaces for the 2 boys as well as ability to use the living room when kids are gone to bed. Her hubby doesn't want to go into the parks everyday and wants a leisurely pace. They have to have a full kitchen to cook meals from scratch, including making own bread and treats for in the parks.

My issues: We need to return to the resort for all meals so commute needs to be efficient. Plus, Everyone needs a good place to get their sleep. DH and I will spend some time cooking so the kids can stay longer in the parks and will babysit at night on occasion, so it would be nice to have a resort where we can be nearby.

Question:

What advice would you give on where to stay? Anything that I need to consider that I'm missing/forgetting/might not know?
I recommend AKV Jambo. Transportation efficiency is really a wash between these resorts, because it's all about which park you're at. AKV is very close to Animal Kingdom. BWV is very close to Epcot. So those resorts each give quick access to 1 park.

Magic Kingdom is going to be a haul from either resort. Epcot will take a little while from AKV, and Animal Kingdom will take a little while from BWV. Hollywood Studios is walkable from BWV, but it's a 20-minute walk that I doubt the seniors and little ones in your group would be up to every time. So that leaves Disney transportation to BWV, which will be a little, but not much, quicker to BWV than to AKL.

The ideal scenario imo would be a monorail resort, to provide quick access to & from MK, and then use private transport to and from the other parks. MK is a pain to get to via private transport, which is why I'd want to stay near there.

Out of your options, because AKV is more appealing to kids, I would choose that one. You should definitely rent a car or use taxis, and not rely on the bus system the whole time.

Last edited:

My vote is BWV... proximity to 2 parks, plus for the family member that doesn't want to be at the parks all the time the Boardwalk area offers so much for off park time.

Hi @Babsy! :wave2:

I don't really have any good advice for your situation but just wanted to say I always enjoy your helpful resort posts around the DIS. I suspect for you to be asking for help, this one must have you stumped.

It sounds like you have a few conflicting 'issues' with your group and planning for a large crowd is never easy. I wish you the best in coming up with a plan that works best for you and your family.

(But to actually address your dilemma, since "long commute" is a theme for a few parties, my mind kind of goes more to BWV vs the AKL options, although I like AKL as a resort better)

Hi there!!

Thanks for the encouragement. "Large groups are never easy" is exactly right!!!

Yes, the problem is that nothing within the budget really fits what everyone wants! LOL! I could increase the budget, but that would mean giving up our private VIP tour that I had planned for one day as a surprise treat for everyone. That would allow an extra ~$2500, which opens up BLT or a 3 bedroom at OKW. I really kinda wanted to keep that available for 'extras'.
I agree with the BWV location as best, but they don't have a sleeper chair in the 2 bedrooms there, as far as I understand it, which means that DD would have to agree to an air mattress for one boy or put them together in one bed.

I believe that you have done the VIP tour. Is it a good idea for our group? I think that with ten we fit with one guide. How did you like it? I value your opinion.

Thanks again!

Hi-
First of all, so sorry to hear of your grandson’s condition. So, given your explanation, my understanding is your DD and DS and their families would be staying in the 2 BR villa? If so, I’m not sure that your daughter’s request to not have kids sleeping in living room would work given the number of people unless they plan to put the kids on the floor in the bedrooms, which isn’t impossible. At least one twin air mattress would fit in the bedroom with a king bed.

My vote is BWV as it is within walking distance to two parks, allows you and DH ample choices for your stay, and also ample options for dining. Both OKW and AKL are a bit out of the way (with the exception of OKW access to DS by boat). All your options seem to have to take a bus to MK or AK, unless you walk to Epcot and take the monorail to the transportation center, switch monorails to get to MK.

Also, you haven’t mentioned how you were going to book but would definitely look into renting points as it can be much more cost effective.

No matter what is decided, I hope you and your family have a wonderful vacation- it will be great no matter which resort you choose. Good luck with tonight’s discussion ;)

yes, the kids and families will be staying in the the 2 bedroom. Good to know that the air mattress will fit in the king room, that may well be the way to go.

We ARE planning on renting points, as it really does save $$$..

You are right, BWV does seem like the best option...

Thank you for your help!!!

I'm just curious as to how your grandson is going to deal with other people in the parks. They are going to be eating things, kids will have ice cream and be touching rails, etc. Even on a ride someone could have touched the restraint with residue on their hands, etc.

Your daughter isn't going to be able to clean every single thing he might touch in the parks - they will not stop the rides for her to do a wipe-down.

I appreciate that you have the food thing taken care of with the villa rental, but if he is that sensitive to things, I'm not sure how the parks will work without putting him in life-threatening situations at every turn.

My vote would also be for BWV. It will give you close proximity to two parks, plus, for those wanting a more leisurely stay, it will offer them more recreation opportunities at the resort (pool, surrey bike rides, boat rentals at YC, mini-golf at Fantasia, etc.). As for the VIP tour, I think it would be great for your party of 10. You will be able to get a ton of rides in together. You may want to call WDW regarding the price, however, as $2500 may not cover it. I priced one out for November of this year and the cost was going to be about $4000.

I'm just curious as to how your grandson is going to deal with other people in the parks. They are going to be eating things, kids will have ice cream and be touching rails, etc. Even on a ride someone could have touched the restraint with residue on their hands, etc.

Your daughter isn't going to be able to clean every single thing he might touch in the parks - they will not stop the rides for her to do a wipe-down.

I appreciate that you have the food thing taken care of with the villa rental, but if he is that sensitive to things, I'm not sure how the parks will work without putting him in life-threatening situations at every turn.
I was thinking that, too. How does this child get through school? It's the same way there.

Last edited:
I agree, BWV seems the best option or BCV. I like BC better because of SAB. Epcot resorts are most central.

Touring with large groups is difficult for sure! I can see why your daughter doesn’t like going away, it is a lot of work, yikes! But good for her, WDW is such a special place for kids!

My theory to keep everyone’s sanity is not to over plan. Not everyone will want to go back to the room for all meals. I can see your sons family not wanting to take that much time out especially lunch time. Maybe plan some family dinner meals, and then let the others come and go as they want. It’s a good idea to have everyone state their expectations for the trip at this meeting, of how they see things going, etc. Even with just my daughter and myself, we will split up if we want to do different attractions, then re-group after we’re done. So easy with cell phones. She won’t do ToR or RCnR coaster, lol.
Happy planning!

Last edited:

I was thinking that, too. How does this child get through school? It's the same way there.

Yes, it is scary. It is difficult to teach him what is safe and isn't but not to communicate fear. There are more dangers in public for him than for most people. Many things aren't possible. He has never been to a movie theatre, for example. Regular school isn't possible. I am hopeful that someday they will develop a cure for severe allergies. But, for now, we have to find ways to live with what it is.

So, my daughter home schools him. There is a very small private school here that has a one day a week access program for home schooled children. He has just started going there for that. They have been great! they have restricted what other children can bring when he comes, monitors eating, keeps everything clean for him and just really go the extra mile. When there is a party or function involving food, my daughter makes ALL the food for everyone, every time. She is so grateful that they allow her to do it because it makes everything safe for him. But it is a lot of work for her. As you can imagine, it is difficult for her to let go and allow him to do this. She is so strong.

Our DGS has to be careful wherever he goes and many things that most people don't even think about my DD is constantly watching. It is a real problem and we have epipens at the ready all the time. However, although the risks are real, we need to find a way to manage the situation and live our lives. We all work together to keep him safe. Getting on rides will require planning and preparation by us before he boards. Will he experience everything? No, but I am hoping that we will be able to make some things safe for him. He will see WDW. He will do what we can make safe for him. I am hopeful that the CM's at WDW will help make it possible for him to participate in many rides. They do stop or slow some rides to load wheel chairs, for example. I think that we will be able to get a seat covered/ready/clean for him as quickly as a wheelchair can be loaded. We could even clean a wheelchair for him and generally keep him in that, for example, for many rides/shows and for riding on buses. Then just quickly clean any straps or bars that he might need to hold/touch. Going in a colder time means that gloves can be worn, as well. I am thinking that white gloves "like Mickey's" might be a good idea.

We will just have to work at it and think about everything.

My vote would also be for BWV. It will give you close proximity to two parks, plus, for those wanting a more leisurely stay, it will offer them more recreation opportunities at the resort (pool, surrey bike rides, boat rentals at YC, mini-golf at Fantasia, etc.). As for the VIP tour, I think it would be great for your party of 10. You will be able to get a ton of rides in together. You may want to call WDW regarding the price, however, as $2500 may not cover it. I priced one out for November of this year and the cost was going to be about $4000.

Yikes! I haven't looked at the rates in a while. The last time I looked it was $300 per hour for a minimum of 7 hours. Guess that the price has gone UP. I shouldn't be surprised! LOL!

I agree, BWV seems the best option or BCV. I like BC better because of SAB. Epcot resorts are most central.

Touring with large groups is difficult for sure! I can see why your daughter doesn’t like going away, it is a lot of work, yikes! But good for her, WDW is such a special place for kids!

My theory to keep everyone’s sanity is not to over plan. Not everyone will want to go back to the room for all meals. I can see your sons family not wanting to take that much time out especially lunch time. Maybe plan some family dinner meals, and then let the others come and go as they want. It’s a good idea to have everyone state their expectations for the trip at this meeting, of how they see things going, etc. Even with just my daughter and myself, we will split up if we want to do different attractions, then re-group after we’re done. So easy with cell phones. She won’t do ToR or RCnR coaster, lol.
Happy planning!

Yes, Good tip! We plan to separate when necessary. It is one reason why staying onsite is helpful. We do not have to travel together all the time. The pace for my DD and her family will be much slower and more laid back. DS and his family will have a separate trip in October when they will do their usual ride intensive trip with tons of eating out. This trip is recognized as different. But we will need to go separate ways on times. Everyone needs private space on occasion.

Hopefully we can get expectations in place tonight. Thank you for your input!

Hi there, I have never commented on these boards, but was moved to log in and do so here because I have two kids with severe food allergies and we recently made our first trip to WDW with my in-laws, so I felt I could relate a bit. In no particular order, here is my advice/opinion (and for context, I have one kid ana dairy, tree nuts, egg and the other is FPIES soy; the first is contact-allergic to dairy (hives) but ana ingestion and as a kid is constantly putting hands in mouth etc so contact also a worry from that standpoint).

1. Everyone family unit should have their own hotel unit. What your DD needs to be able to relax on her vacation is totally contrary to what will allow the other family units to relax on their vacation. I would make almost any compromise on where you stay to achieve this. I can relate to her need to have “home” be clean, but if anyone else has to share that space it will drive her and them crazy trying to do so. She will be cleaning behind people constantly, which would drive her and then crazy. I couldn’t tell from the thread if her family would have the 2BR to themselves or be sharing with her brother’s family.

2. The kitchen is a fantastic idea. Stick with that for her family.

3. You don’t have to return to the unit for every meal. First of all not everyone should have to stick together all day — each family has its own rhythms. Secondly if her family wants they can pack a lunch and if she’s worried about surfaces her 5yo can eat on a lap or in their stroller. These are just ideas, though. I would let her decide what works best for her family but just keep all plans so that the other two family units on the trip don’t have to do it that way if they don’t want to. For example if she wants her family to eat every meal at the resort, do not schedule things so her brother’s family has to also. Let everyone flow how it makes them happiest.

3. I can not recommend highly enough the Facebook group Disney Chefs Rock Food Allergies. It is full of families with food allergies planning their WDW vacations. Many try the restaurants there but many also feel more comfortable making all their own food. Suggest your DD join — she will find a lot of commiseration and probably people with the same combo of allergies. There are also many home-schooling families on there.

4. The woman who administers that group, which is free, also has a consulting biz for families with food allergies traveling to WDW. Her daughter’s list of allergies is off the charts and they have done WDW a lot. YMMV but I found a consult with her before I went really put my mind at ease, esp as her daughter has dairy and we do too and that is a special kind of animal to avoid. But even DD doesn’t have the budget for that, much of this woman’s advice can be gleaned just from looking in the archives of the free FB group (for instance by searching “dairy” or “contact” or “villa” for things that might be relevant for your trip.

5. I think the VIP tour sounds amazing and I personally would love the chance. However, I would not spring this on your DD last minute as it may stress her out to be out of control if the agenda for an entire day and to worry about how to feed her kids safely during that experience esp as the other family units will be doing it also. I would suggest planting that concept with her in private way ahead of time so you and she can mull how her family can do it enjoyably. I would not say surprise her with it in front of the little kids or her brother’s family, as she might feel forced into something (albeit a wonderful something) that feels uncomfortable for her. Just making this type of vacation for the first time is a huge leap.

6. Have compassion for her but don’t feel you have to glue your plans to hers. When you’re watching the kids, definitely do it as she wants. But if she has a need you can’t relate to, don’t try to persuade her differently. If it’s not something you want to do, peel off — make it easy for all family units to graciously do their own thing whenever they feel so moved. It will avoid resentment. For FA families, many things are medically necessary and then some things are just coping necessary (like to avoid extreme stress or anxiety or watchfulness). So even if something doesn’t seem medically necessary (and much if not all of it is I’m sure), accept your DD needs to do it her way for her own enjoyment and mental health. The key is just to not tie the rest of the family’s plans to hers. Join her her way when it works, your separately when it doesn’t.

FWIW I was very nervous about the restaurant part and the extended family part, but we had a fantastic vacation. Preparation was 99% of it, and it sounds like you are really good at that! Best of luck, I’m sure you’ll have a great time.

Oh and we stayed BLT one bedroom with our in-laws down the hall (they would have stayed contemporary but we were too last-minute). I’ve never stayed at your three choices but have read a lot about them and would choose BWV for proximity to two parks. However if you end up deciding against the VIP tour we loved loved loved BLT for proximity to MK and MK-Area restaurants. It is not as themed but as my in-laws and DH are not as Disneyfied as I am it was a good fit for us. We also appreciated how updated the villas were, and of course the monorail is super fun. We are also a family that takes breaks to swim/nap every afternoon.

Good luck! You have lots of time to plan so I’m sure you’ll come up with something great.

Did a 2 bedroom at AKL Jambo and it was amazing! Waking up and sitting out and watching the animals is such a unique thing. Where else can you do that? You can stay at a “normal” hotel anywhere, but watching a giraffe 20 feet from you while you’re in your pjs is so unreal.
Good luck and have a great trip!

For the parks, since it will be in colder weather when you are going can you dress him in long pants, long sleeve and gloves? And a mask for his mouth. Since there are a lot of food smells - the mask would protect that. I think you might go crazy (way too stressful) trying to wipe everything down in the parks. I just don't know if they will let you/give you enough time to wipe the seat and hand rails on every ride. You might have time to do the hand parts while the ride is starting. This might be a question to ask disney prior to going. I've seen people sneak food onto rides...gloves and face mask might be the best move.

I was wondering this too? Someone eats ice cream then it’s all over their hands and they touch a railing? I’m sure all this has been thought of, but I wonder how this will be handled as well. Good luck to the family!

Would you consider BCV? The proximity to the parks is great and it has a resort feel with lots to do in the area for the days you aren’t going to the parks.

Just a thought on the resort choice: AKL Jambo's restaurants - many of which use exotic ingredients-- are on the ground/pool floor and one tends to walk from the elevators through the open areas leading to Jiko and BOMA in order to get to the pool area. Severe allergies that can be triggered by airborne allergens would mean you may need to avoid this area of the resort. Restaurants at BWV and OKW are located away from the resort rooms and you are not having to walk through enclosed spaces where food allergens may be present because of restaurants. I wish you well with your family planning.

FYI, BWV does not have any dedicated two bedroom villas. This means you would get a one bedroom (king bed and sofa bed in living room) and a studio (queen bed and sofa bed) connected with a door. With the dedicated two bedroom villas available at other resorts, there were be a king bed in one room, sofa bed in living room, and two queen beds in the second bedroom.

Also, the two bedrooms at Kidani Village have a third bathroom!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter