Comparing Universal rides to Flight of Passage

WanderlustNZ

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone,

I’ve noticed that there is a lot of love for FOP over on the Disney thread - many saying that it’s the best ride in any theme park ever.

I’m just wondering what Universal fans think and how you would compare it to the many 3D rides Universal offers? Both from an enjoyment perspective and a motion sickness perspective. (DH feels a bit unwell on some simulator rides - particularly the Simpsons).

I would really love to visit Avatar land and do FOP, but I have limited time this trip and will only be able to visit 2 or 3 of the 4 Disney parks. After much deliberation, I’m leaning towards dropping AK, but this is also leaving me with a strong sense of FOP FOMO. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, I have 3 Universal days scheduled and plan on using my express pass to maximise my love of all the rides there (Transformers is my favourite, but my last visit was pre Gringotts).

Put simply, will the Universal rides give me the fix of 3D rides I need, or do I also need to get to Avatar land?

I don't think anything at Uni compares directly to FOP. It blows away the Uni simulator rides (with the caveat that I haven't been on Kong or the Mummy). It's fully immersive like Soarin (or as Soarin would be if it weren't distorted) but more thrilling.

I really like that type of simulator ride (like IMAX of the 80s when there was always one scene that made you feel like you were flying) over the Spiderman, Transformer types. I would say it's most similar to Simpsons but without the serious motion sickness triggers.

All that said, if I had to pick only one ride, I would pick Hulk over FOP. There is still something about actually moving that is always a little more thrilling to me.

I don't think anything at Uni compares directly to FOP. It blows away the Uni simulator rides (with the caveat that I haven't been on Kong or the Mummy). It's fully immersive like Soarin (or as Soarin would be if it weren't distorted) but more thrilling.

I really like that type of simulator ride (like IMAX of the 80s when there was always one scene that made you feel like you were flying) over the Spiderman, Transformer types. I would say it's most similar to Simpsons but without the serious motion sickness triggers.

All that said, if I had to pick only one ride, I would pick Hulk over FOP. There is still something about actually moving that is always a little more thrilling to me.

Interesting, thanks for that comparison.

Neither my husband or I were particularly keen on Soarin. I’d read about it’s popularity before getting to WDW and was expecting huge things. However, I’d perhaps hyped it up too much in my mind as I found it underwhelming.

From the sounds of it FOP is much more thrilling than Soarin, so I would probably love it, but the comparison does make my decision a bit easier.

FOP is definitely the best simulator ride I’ve ridden. But I wouldn’t sell Unis rides short. They have some good ones. Love th Potter rides especially.

With that said, there is no way I would drop AK from my Disney itinerary. I just love it for so many reasons. That’s without knowing all the other details of your trip though.

FOP is definitely the best simulator ride I’ve ridden. But I wouldn’t sell Unis rides short. They have some good ones. Love th Potter rides especially.

With that said, there is no way I would drop AK from my Disney itinerary. I just love it for so many reasons. That’s without knowing all the other details of your trip though.

Thank you.

I love AK too. While it does leave me feeling a bit conflicted due to some personal feelings about commercially profitable zoos, the park itself is visually stunning and it has probably my favourite Disney ride (Everest). Plus Pandora land looks gorgeous - especially at night.

The choice is between HS or AK as we really don’t have time for both. I have an ADR for both parks that day while I try to make up my mind, but for multiple reasons, I’m leaning towards HS.

I hate being this indecisive. I think it might be something to do with knowing that it could be at least 5+ years before we visit again, if at all. :confused:

Personally I wouldn't drop HS. Two best Disney rides RNR and TOT are there along with toystory midway mania. The other toystory rides are probably pretty good too. All in all that is our favorite Disney Park. I'm also particularly fond of Dinosaur at AK and Everest is nice when I don't get sick from the backwards part.

About the FOP. I think FOP is cool, but I don't know that I would say its the best ever or anything and it makes me a little queasy each time I go on it. I can't say what is similar or not similar at Universal as I haven't been in 10 plus years but will be going in 2 weeks.

FOP is cool but not cool enough to drop an entire park (Hollywood Studios) out. I don’t have a fascination for AVATAR the movie, PANDORA for me was a nice small addition to AK, I wouldn’t rush to make it a priority only to ride FOP, is a great technology and beautiful done, but is pretty much like SOARING on steroids, different seating same big screens with special effects.

Hi everyone,

I’ve noticed that there is a lot of love for FOP over on the Disney thread - many saying that it’s the best ride in any theme park ever.

I’m just wondering what Universal fans think and how you would compare it to the many 3D rides Universal offers? Both from an enjoyment perspective and a motion sickness perspective. (DH feels a bit unwell on some simulator rides - particularly the Simpsons).

I would really love to visit Avatar land and do FOP, but I have limited time this trip and will only be able to visit 2 or 3 of the 4 Disney parks. After much deliberation, I’m leaning towards dropping AK, but this is also leaving me with a strong sense of FOP FOMO. :rolleyes:

Meanwhile, I have 3 Universal days scheduled and plan on using my express pass to maximise my love of all the rides there (Transformers is my favourite, but my last visit was pre Gringotts).

Put simply, will the Universal rides give me the fix of 3D rides I need, or do I also need to get to Avatar land?
My family and I got to ride FoP a few times on our trip in September and unanimously agreed it is amazing.
From a ride tech perspective, I'd say it is in a class all its own. Incredibly immersive to the point of being pleasantly disorienting. I think universal's excellent use of simulator rides made Disney sit up and take notice and one-up them.
And just for perspective, I LOVE Universal's rides. Forbidden Journey and Spider-Man are my favorites.

As for your choice, I'd probably go with AK, though it isn't easy to get on FoP. FoP will always be on our must-do list from now on.

Just back from a Disney and Universal split stay and loved FOP. I was amazing! I was sad when it was over since there was no way I was standing in line for hours to ride it again so it was a one time thing.

FOP, Gringotts and Forbidden journey wer my favourite rides of the whole trip.

I would like to chime in with my opinion. Flight of Passage is awesome, as is the entire world of Pandora, simply jaw dropping. If I had to compare it to a ride for "feel" it's forbidden journey. Specifically the moments where you are looking at a screen in Forbidden Journey. No other ride gave me that feeling of flying like those 2, and the screen parts felt very comparable. As for which park to drop I'd drop Hollywood studios over Animal kingdom, and that's not hating on hollywood studios, we loved it our last visit and toy story land wasn't even open. But someone above stated two of the best rides, TOT, and RNR are there. I'd take FOP and EE over those two any day, and still be able to throw in the awesome safari ride, Kali river rapids, and the whole amazingness of Pandora. Plus you have lion king and nemo for shows, and as much hate as navi river journey gets I enjoyed it :).

I wasn't that impressed with FOP and actually prefer most of Uni's ride over it. Either the ride was malfunctioning when I was on it, or I'm just spoiled by the rides at Universal. I'd drop HS over AK, though.

Thank you so much everyone for taking the time to respond. It’s interesting to hear such a variety of responses, but I guess I should have expected that; preference is such a personal thing. The majority consensus, however, seems to be that FOP is a very good ride.

Regarding AK vs. HS: While I love Toy Story Mania and ToT at HS, I feel like Universal gives me such a wonderful movie-themed experience, HS feels a bit small and underwhelming by comparison. If it were purely up to me, we’d go to AK. But DS and DH are big Star Wars fans and prefer HS. They happily let me plan our trips and I could get away with a switch, but I’m also keen to make the trip as enjoyable for them as possible.
We’re visiting the week before Xmas and I’ve actually hyped up my own feelings of visiting HS by researching all the great night time Xmas entertainment and booking a Xmas-themed meal. Something AK is lacking.

My other thought is that I might not get a Fastpass for AK, even at 60 days out, because it seems only people on longer stays are having much success. Our patience for waiting over about an hour for any ride, is non-existent.

There is another option of dropping EPcot in favour of AK, but that comes with a whole range of pros and cons also.

I used to think I loved excessive planning, like this, but I’m really starting to think that the style of a Universal holiday is so much better for my indecisive personality. :scratchin :faint:

I wasn't that impressed with FOP and actually prefer most of Uni's ride over it. Either the ride was malfunctioning when I was on it, or I'm just spoiled by the rides at Universal. I'd drop HS over AK, though.

I was beginning to think I was the only one who felt this way. I really didn’t like the ride much at all. I’m not an Avatar fan to begin with, so the theme doesn’t appeal to me. Then, I found the seats awkward and uncomfortable to sit on. In addition, the glasses were about 3 times too large for my head. They didn’t fit at all and obstructed my view so that the screen didn’t focus properly. Maybe if the glasses had fit correctly, and I could have actually seen a screen that wasn’t blurry, I would have enjoyed it more. But honestly, it just felt like going to an IMAX movie theater. I don’t get the big deal. I thought the 30 minutes we had to wait for our FP wasn’t worth it. I’d never do standby.

On a positive note, I will say my sister really loved it, and she isn’t a big fan of Avatar either. Also, it didn’t make me motion sick.

It really seems most similar to Soarin. Minions is probably the closest comparison at Uni, being a huge IMAX like screen where you sit in seats that move. It’s just a different kind of seat and movement and the screen extends below you as well.

I was beginning to think I was the only one who felt this way. I really didn’t like the ride much at all. I’m not an Avatar fan to begin with, so the theme doesn’t appeal to me. Then, I found the seats awkward and uncomfortable to sit on. In addition, the glasses were about 3 times too large for my head. They didn’t fit at all and obstructed my view so that the screen didn’t focus properly. Maybe if the glasses had fit correctly, and I could have actually seen a screen that wasn’t blurry, I would have enjoyed it more. But honestly, it just felt like going to an IMAX movie theater. I don’t get the big deal. I thought the 30 minutes we had to wait for our FP wasn’t worth it. I’d never do standby.

On a positive note, I will say my sister really loved it, and she isn’t a big fan of Avatar either. Also, it didn’t make me motion sick.

It really seems most similar to Soarin. Minions is probably the closest comparison at Uni, being a huge IMAX like screen where you sit in seats that move. It’s just a different kind of seat and movement and the screen extends below you as well.

The glasses were a MAJOR issue with me too. The only person in our group that LOVED it was the 10 year old. I'm going to give it another go this fall to see if I feel differently.

The glasses were a MAJOR issue with me too. The only person in our group that LOVED it was the 10 year old. I'm going to give it another go this fall to see if I feel differently.

I’d definitely be willing to give it another try if I could get some smaller glasses that actually fit. I had read reviews about the glasses falling off smaller heads and was prepared to hold them in place, but that wasn’t the issue. My problem was that the frames were so large on my face that the inside of them, the part closest to your nose, went right through my line of sight. Sorry, I’m probably not describing this well, but it really messed with my eyes ability to focus correctly causing an out of focus blurry scene.

We spent a week at Disney last month and there’s not a ride at HS that we’d swap for FOP. I could not care less for Avatar, but the ride was amazing. We were able to ride it three times and it was still amazing on the third go around. One of us are big soarin’ fans, especially with the distortion (or the dangling feet above ruining the view, depending on where you’re sitting). But we also love AK. We can easily spend a full day there, whereas HS is a get in, ride TOT and RNRC, and get out sort of place. TSL hadn’t opened when we were there. But if I had to pick one of the two parks right now, I’d still go with AK. It really depends on what you want to ride, though. I get what you mean about the zoo-like nature of it. I wouldn’t swap Expedition Everest for anything in HS, either.

We spent a week at Disney last month and there’s not a ride at HS that we’d swap for FOP. I could not care less for Avatar, but the ride was amazing. We were able to ride it three times and it was still amazing on the third go around. One of us are big soarin’ fans, especially with the distortion (or the dangling feet above ruining the view, depending on where you’re sitting). But we also love AK. We can easily spend a full day there, whereas HS is a get in, ride TOT and RNRC, and get out sort of place. TSL hadn’t opened when we were there. But if I had to pick one of the two parks right now, I’d still go with AK. It really depends on what you want to ride, though. I get what you mean about the zoo-like nature of it. I wouldn’t swap Expedition Everest for anything in HS, either.

Thank you.

Secretly, I think I was hoping that everyone would tell me that FOP is overhyped and that would have made my decision much easier. :rolleyes1:laughing:

But I have listened and have decided that I will try to get a FOP Fastpass for our last/3rd day. If I can get one, we’ll go to AK instead of Epcot. If we can’t get one, I’ll consider the decision has been made for me and we’ll skip AK this trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter