Comparing rides to WDW

Dakota731

DIS Veteran
I have a medical condition that leaves me unable to ride attractions with gforce or extreme whipping around. I can ride Slinky Dog, Rise of the Resistance, Millennium Falcon, Flight of Passage, Remy etc. So which rides would be similar at Universal? I’m definitely skipping the wild coasters but what about all the virtual reality type rides?

If you can handle Remy, Rise of the Resistance and Millennium Falcon you should be okay with most of the screen-based rides (if that's you meant by virtual reality) as well most of the other non-coaster rides.

Can you do Buzz Lightyear Astro-Blasters and/or Toy Story Midway Mania? If the answer is yes, then Men In Black is a possibility.

You might want to do a bit of research on Forbidden Journey or Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure to see if one of those might pose an issue.

Can you do Star Tour? The older minion ride (the one on the left) is similar, but they also have stationary benches you can request.
The other minion attraction (on the right) is a shooting ride on a moving walkway, you're fine.
The Jimmy Fallon ride, Spider Man and Transformers are in the same ballpark, but no static option there.

Men in black is fine most of the time but the ride vehicle might spin quickly on itself from time to time, so it's a bit of a risk.

Cat in the hat used to be more rough, but now it spins gently (more gently than MIB).

The three water rides in IOA are what you see is what you get. Similar to Splash mountains and Kali River rapids.

ET is like Peter Pan.

In Forbidden Journey you go briefly upside down and are moved all around, but it's not too violent (again, probably Star Tour is a fair comparison).

Skip every coaster, which include The Mummy and Escape from Gringott.

Is the whipping force on Remy and Rise the maximum you can tolerate? You may want to avoid Spider Man since it is a bit more intense than those.

Yes I can do Buzz Lightyear and Toy Story Mania so are the spins on Men in Black similar to those? I did Star Tours in Orlando in November and thought it was ok.
Is Forbidden Journey a coaster? I can do the kiddie coasters like Slinky Dog so would Gringotts work?

Forbidden Journey is like no other attraction. Hermione enchants a bench and makes it fly.
Or, as it is explained to muggles, the bench is set on a robotic arm that moves it in all directions to give the impression of a wild flying ride.
It is bumpy and it goes upside down at one point, but the robot arm is not that powerful to generate too much Gs, I think. People have problem with motion sickness, not with the speed.
I'm a bit weary to say you'll be fine because I don't know your condition. But if you can do Slinky, you might be able to most screen based simulators (FJ, Spiderman, Transformers, Jimmy Fallon, Minions, Fast and Furious).
MiB is worst than Toy Story mania. Can you do Alien Swirlwing Saucers? I think it's like that in terms of whiplash, but it spins on itself a couple of times.
Gringos might be just around the limit. It has an initial average drop. Hagrid is another family coaster, but again it is a bit of a risk. I think it's very smooth and a lot of fun, but I don't know what to recommend.

I think the spin in MiB can be more like very fast teacups, maybe 2-3 rotations at the end, and you can also fully spin during the ride if the opposite car activates it, and it kind of happens out of the blue if you're not expecting it. The spin at end is more intense than TSMM.

Spiderman and Transformers are more like Dinosaur/Star Tours, but more intense than Dinosaur, do you ride that one? There is a spot in Spider man that spins your vehicle completely around, just a couple of times, wouldn't say it's whipping, but it's complete spin, and your vehicle is bumping and jolting along with the action you're watching on the screen.

I do get motion sickness on FJ, so I don't ride that anymore, but I don't recall whipping, as much as back/forth, up/down (like face down, not completely upside down, ) side/side, etc. it's not a coaster. Even if you decide not to ride FJ, you can walk the queue, and at the end, just tell a TM that you're not riding. But FJ is an incredible ride.

Gringotts is a funny one. I don't think of it as a coaster, but it is, it just has a lot of stops/starts between the coaster action. Like you're watching screens/projections, between the action. I think the actual ride part is not that intense, not quite like BTMRR.

Happy planning! hope you have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter