Company hosted Potluck - update 12/19

I am still interested in what you would suggest. I don't "know" that no one is GF, but it is not known if they are. As far as I know the place we are getting the food from does not have any GF options.

When you send out the invitation, you ask people to RSVP and to let you know if they have any dietary needs. If someone does have a specific need, you check with the place you are ordering from to see if they have GF options (NEVER assume or think you know). If they don't, you may need to consider ordering something for them from other places. Of course, you can just tell them there will be nothing for them, but that's not really the holiday spirit or a way to take care of employees.

Four hours sounds like a really long time for a party that isn't on the clock. Honestly, that might put me off of attending.
::yes:: I'm often one of the first ones out the door (discreetly and politely) from our big Christmas shebang. Blessedly, our CEO does his speech and all the formalities at the beginning of the evening.
Most won't attend the entire time. Most will arrive at 5:30ish and most likely be gone before 8pm. But there will be people who will try to get me to stay longer, so they can drink more. Back in the hey-day Christmas parties were 5 - midnight or later, with live band, a visit from Santa, full dinner, etc.
Now that sounds like a party!

OP, I would not ask for food choices. Simplify your life and offer 2 choices. Set the time for dinner as 6:00, allowing for folks to arrive after work. I would not request that employees bring apps, those who want to will do so anyway. The more options you offer, the more stress you will add to your planning.

Here's hoping that you can enjoy this event and be able to relax the minute it is over.

I do event planning. As a rule, I get meat and vegetarian options, but not strictly vegan.
After thinking about it, there may not be an option for vegan. If the pasta is made in house, it will likely have egg. Dry pasta doesn’t. The boss doesn’t eat egg (but dairy is okay) so that will be interesting.

::yes::

Anyone whose health could be severely negatively impacted by eating a common allergen needs to be responsible for themselves instead of relying on others who may or may not understand their needs.

Dd14’s dance school just had their annual pizza party, I paid the $10 for her, fed her in advance, and sent her with gluten free cookies. Tonight is her soccer dinner, I’ll feed her ahead of time, she’ll have some salad, $20.

But wouldn't it be nice, if someone was going to the trouble to provide a vegan meal to also at least inquire about a gluten free one?

I seem to always have to provide my own meal. (I have two friends that will provide something, and sometimes, my work will. ) And quite honestly, it gets old. It gets old enough that I often just say no to the invitation. Especially if it is for an event that isn't high on my list.

I realize that the OP is no longer providing a vegan meal. But it was in the original plan.

But wouldn't it be nice, if someone was going to the trouble to provide a vegan meal to also at least inquire about a gluten free one?

I seem to always have to provide my own meal. (I have two friends that will provide something, and sometimes, my work will. ) And quite honestly, it gets old. It gets old enough that I often just say no to the invitation. Especially if it is for an event that isn't high on my list.

I realize that the OP is no longer providing a vegan meal. But it was in the original plan.
No, because then OP has to inquire about a nut free one, a dairy free one, a low-sugar option for diabetics, a Kosher option, a Halal option, etc.

The problem is if you do it for one, you need to do it for all. Back in elementary school, the 6th graders went on an annual camping trip. The kids weren’t allowed to bring snacks, everything had to be fair. The organizers put together a list of snacks, the allergy parents reviewed it, none was safe for all. The allergy parents got together, to see if we could put together a list (the committee asked us to). Potato chips, only potato chips. The committee finally agreed the snack bags would be mostly the same, with some tweaks for the allergy kids. My friend’s son was in the same class, no eggs, nut or dairy for him.

They did have gluten free options on the trip, provided by the venue. The snack bags fiasco was actually pretty funny. Honestly, just let the allergy kids bring their safe snacks, so what if it’s better. These kids have been watching their classmates eat cupcakes and pizza for years! I’m lucky that all of dd14’s friend’s parents are very good about feeding her. For events like soccer pasta parties, I just send it with her.

The Vegan option is/was also the I don't like red sauce, I can't consume dairy, I am the most picky eater on earth option - Plain Spaghetti. And like I said if it was necessary I would figure something out for a GF person.

The food allergies and preferences issue does make it really complex when party planning. :faint:

My DH actually works for a company that this is their business - a difficult issue to deal with when it's you who has the food issue, for sure, especially when it's medically necessary.

Not sure what recommendations to make to the OP in light of that. I do think, as CinderDuffy mentions, it would be difficult to capture all the different possiblities that exist in one budget meal from a pizza shop! :p

But I do give the OP credit for trying. Christa, I don't think you're going to be able to make everyone completely happy, so just do the best you can. :hug:

I don't think you're going to be able to make everyone completely happy
Ain't that the truth. We could be holding it at the "fanciest" place in town, allow everyone to order off the full menu and there would still be someone who would complain - they don't like fancy food, they don't have X, Y or Z that I wanted, etc.

No, because then OP has to inquire about a nut free one, a dairy free one, a low-sugar option for diabetics, a Kosher option, a Halal option, etc.
But the OP has already considered those that are vegan. And that was my point, people will consider those that have food preferences but not those that have diagnosed medical conditions.

Of course, no one has to consider anyone else. But the OP was asking our opinion.

I think people consider what they have to. Your employee accommodates you because they have to, they don't just pick up GF options "just in case". I don't have to consider GF. I do have to consider vegetarians & vegans.

Sounds like maybe you should just serve room temperature water (not too cold just in case anyone has a cold sensitivity). That way you don't offend any groups with specific food restrictions/preferences. :-)

Seriously sounds like you have made a good plan given the restrictions you have had to work with. Enjoy your party.

Sounds like maybe you should just serve room temperature water (not too cold just in case anyone has a cold sensitivity). That way you don't offend any groups with specific food restrictions/preferences. :-)
That might be a good idea ;) Because in addition to not having GF main dish, there will be no GF alcoholic beverages (our license only allows for products we produce and beer has gluten), no GF or vegan dessert and I am sure more things someone will have issue with.

The problem is if you do it for one, you need to do it for all. Back in elementary school, the 6th graders went on an annual camping trip. The kids weren’t allowed to bring snacks, everything had to be fair. The organizers put together a list of snacks, the allergy parents reviewed it, none was safe for all. The allergy parents got together, to see if we could put together a list (the committee asked us to). Potato chips, only potato chips. The committee finally agreed the snack bags would be mostly the same, with some tweaks for the allergy kids. My friend’s son was in the same class, no eggs, nut or dairy for him.

They did have gluten free options on the trip, provided by the venue. The snack bags fiasco was actually pretty funny. Honestly, just let the allergy kids bring their safe snacks, so what if it’s better. These kids have been watching their classmates eat cupcakes and pizza for years! I’m lucky that all of dd14’s friend’s parents are very good about feeding her. For events like soccer pasta parties, I just send it with her.

I am intrested in what you would prefer as a parent.
I am a Girl Guide leader and run 2 camps a year. The girls are aged 5-9.
We have one vegetarian, and one who is gluten free although her medical form says she has no reaction if she has gluten.
The camp food is “cheap” as it is food that can be done in bulk, so the food for these girls costs significantly more than what they pay in (for example the gluten free bread costs as much as all the other loads put together.
Would you rather: have the camp “discounted” and provide your own food or pay a surcharge to cover “alternative” meals?

I am intrested in what you would prefer as a parent.
I am a Girl Guide leader and run 2 camps a year. The girls are aged 5-9.
We have one vegetarian, and one who is gluten free although her medical form says she has no reaction if she has gluten.
The camp food is “cheap” as it is food that can be done in bulk, so the food for these girls costs significantly more than what they pay in (for example the gluten free bread costs as much as all the other loads put together.
Would you rather: have the camp “discounted” and provide your own food or pay a surcharge to cover “alternative” meals?
Is it a day camp? Gluten free bread is gross if not toasted. Sometimes it’s better to have something totally different than a gluten free product.

Is it a day camp? Gluten free bread is gross if not toasted. Sometimes it’s better to have something totally different than a gluten free product.

The camps lengths vary.
Usually though it is Saturday morning to Sunday afternoon, they bring their own packed lunch for Saturday and we provide morning and afternoon teas, dinner, supper (around a fire something like s’mores or campfire cones) breakfast and lunch on Sunday (which is usually a packed lunch made in the Sunday morning right after breakfast)
For the other girls the meals will look something like:
Dinner:hot dogs with hot chips, cucumber and apple slices (some camps we do roast chickens with potatoes, peas and corn+roll)
Supper:s’mores with hot chocolate
Breakfast:toast with jam or marmite, cornflakes and rice bubbles
Packed lunch:Ham or Jam sandwich, yogurt, fruit, cookie, popcorn,
Morning and afternoon tea:fruit +slices (baking of some sort)

Update #2
So we ended up not being able to do a company party.

Today employees decided to put together a potluck party to held this Thursday (or maybe Saturday). Turns out they want the opportunity to hang out have a few beers and party. They don’t care if they have to bring food or not. If they have to pay for it or not.

Company may or may not still “host” a party at a later date but for now we are having a potluck put on by employees.

Sounds like maybe you should just serve room temperature water (not too cold just in case anyone has a cold sensitivity). That way you don't offend any groups with specific food restrictions/preferences.
No go. I recently learned, from another website, of Aquagenic urticaria. It's a skin rash/reaction to warter.

I'm sorry to hear you're not having your bigger party but a potluck with drinks is still nice. My dad owned a business. Every year on Christrmas Eve, they put out shrimp, sandwich stuff, chips liquor. The employees came in, ate, had a drink, picked up their bonus check and turkey and left awhile later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter