College Program Questions Thread Pt 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the details Katy. I don't think it will suit me then. ;)
I have no idea where all these questions are coming from all of a sudden. :idea:
As for food, is it costumary to bring your lunches with you to the park or are there places to buy food while working, say in the parks? Also, are there any tips on saving on food? popcorn::

There is a cast member cafe at all 4 parks. However, it gets expensive buying everyday (and can get boring after awhile). I recommend bringing lunch- it really helps to save money.

How did you all deal with your bank and/or credit card accounts? Did you change your address or leave your address the same and just tell them you would be living in the Orlando area for awhile? I would like to keep my bills going to where I live now because my family would then mail them to me. I don't want my bank and cc accounts to think I've had my identity stolen since I'd be using them there!

I hope this makes sense! :laughing:

Thanks!

I kept the same bank account at home, and signed up for the Vista Credit Union at Disney.

That's a good question. Can you get your paychecks directly deposited to your at home account? Say, if I brought a voided check?

Yes, you can get it deposited to a home bank.

Thank you Katy=) Good to know! By the way everyone, I'm flying to audition for character performer in Austin, TX in 9 days. I'm so exited! Anybody else going to be there?

I have a question, do we get a mailing address while we're down there? Can we even get mail when we're down there XD?

I have a question, do we get a mailing address while we're down there? Can we even get mail when we're down there XD?

Yes, you get a mailing address, and can get mail, there are mail boxes for each apartment.

I will be taking my car with me from Missouri. I think it depends on how used to public transportation you are (not saying that the CP busses are, but they're sort of similar). I know that I will want to go exploring on my days off and not have to wait on busses to get groceries, etc. If you can and are willing, you'll probably get more use out of your time if you take your car but I wouldn't if you don't trust your car to get there, think it will have issues and end up costing you more money, etc. Luckily my car has been pretty good to me thus far, so I will be taking it. Like I told Katy, if you guys are down there for Fall 08' and need a ride to wal mart, etc. just let me know and I might be able to help you out:goodvibes

You are hoping for Fall 08'? Me too!!! It seems like forever! I am hoping to bring my car from Texas though. So I have a question which I may have asked before but I cannot remember....Is it hard making friends? That is one thing I am really nervous about. I think I make friends easily but being so far from home and not knowing anyone really worries me. Any input would be great!

You are hoping for Fall 08'? Me too!!! It seems like forever! I am hoping to bring my car from Texas though. So I have a question which I may have asked before but I cannot remember....Is it hard making friends? That is one thing I am really nervous about. I think I make friends easily but being so far from home and not knowing anyone really worries me. Any input would be great!

I thought it was going to be hard for me to make friends. I don't feel comfortable around people I don't know. So when I got down there, I was really nervous, and wondering the "what ifs." What if no one likes me. What if I get stuck with bad roommates. But when I got settled in, my roommates and I all talked and asked questions, and made fast friends with them. Then, with going down to the pool and going to work, I made other friends that way. In fact, I met a b/f down there, and are still best friends today. Just remember everyone is in the same boat you are and nervous about making friends. :)
I'm sure you will be fine! :thumbsup2

Thank you Katy=) Good to know! By the way everyone, I'm flying to audition for character performer in Austin, TX in 9 days. I'm so exited! Anybody else going to be there?

You are very welcome! :)
Good luck with your character auditions!! I'm so jealous of you!
hopefully i will be auditioning for the fall program, so hopefully i will meet you down there!

Another day another question (by now I should just wait a week and post once with seven questions =P)

Do people normally get their preference as far as number of roommates? I haven't decided between Chatam and Vista yet, but the one thing I'm pretty certain about is that I'd only want one roommate. Are there a limited number of 1-bedroom apartments and they are hard to come by, or are they in less demand? Thanks :)

First, I just want to say how great these discussion boards are; everyone is so involved and open to answering questions! I only wish I had found this sooner. I have spent the past couple days reading CP questions, and have found many of mine already answered. However, here go my questions: First off, I was accepted into the CP in full service food and beverage, and I cannot wait!:mickeyjum I was wondering if anyone has done full service F&B, and what the locations typically are? (Parks, Downtown Disney, Resorts, etc.) Second, has anyone taken a class from the Disney Exploration Series? It seems like a really cool learning experience. Thanks so much!

I am also really interested in the exploration series. Can you take a class and an exploration series? Anyone know?

PS - I am also applying for Fall 08!!! It can't come soon enough!!

Good luck!

Yup. Every apartment has a mailing address.

Another day another question (by now I should just wait a week and post once with seven questions =P)

Do people normally get their preference as far as number of roommates? I haven't decided between Chatam and Vista yet, but the one thing I'm pretty certain about is that I'd only want one roommate. Are there a limited number of 1-bedroom apartments and they are hard to come by, or are they in less demand? Thanks :)

They try their best to place you where you want to be when you check in. But I believe 1-BRs have the least amount.

I thought it was going to be hard for me to make friends. I don't feel comfortable around people I don't know. So when I got down there, I was really nervous, and wondering the "what ifs." What if no one likes me. What if I get stuck with bad roommates. But when I got settled in, my roommates and I all talked and asked questions, and made fast friends with them. Then, with going down to the pool and going to work, I made other friends that way. In fact, I met a b/f down there, and are still best friends today. Just remember everyone is in the same boat you are and nervous about making friends. :)
I'm sure you will be fine! :thumbsup2

Thanks so much Katy! That makes me feel so much better!

I am doing Food and Bev. for SA 2008! Is there anyone else else from Illinois doing Spring 08? It would be nice to get to know you.

Good idea on the new thread! I'll christen it with two new questions!

My first is: somewhere on the WDWCP site it suggested bringing a wireless router. Has anyone done this, and is it beneficial? (I know how routers work and all, I just am wondering if its really more beneficial than a long ethernet cord).

And my second question sortof ties into the first. Are there any restrictions on internet usage there as far as videogame platforms are concerned? I don't imagine I could go without bringing my Xbox 360 and I'd definitely want to be playing it online, but I don't know if they block its usage or anything of the sort. (At my school they restrict Xbox Live to weekends only).

Thanks!
i plan on waiting till i get down there to see if one of my roommates brings one..if not i think a good idea would be to split the cost of one. they run around 40 bucks so even if u have a 4 bedroom thats only 10 bucks each which I think is worth it but if u already have one i would go ahead and bring one with you and they are small enough that I'm sure u can store it in ur locker if u dont end up using it.

i plan on waiting till i get down there to see if one of my roommates brings one..if not i think a good idea would be to split the cost of one. they run around 40 bucks so even if u have a 4 bedroom thats only 10 bucks each which I think is worth it but if u already have one i would go ahead and bring one with you and they are small enough that I'm sure u can store it in ur locker if u dont end up using it.

Thats what I ended up doing. If you already have your own it I would bring it. My 6 other roommates and I split it and it was $12-13 per person.

Thanks for the advice on all of that business with the router. If I have some extra money laying around I'll try to buy one before I go, though I'm thinking the money might be better invested on a small tv/dvd combo rather than bringing a bigger ones. Now if I can just find someone who worked The Great Movie Ride or Kilimanjaro Safaris to pick their brain... (as I hold out hope I might get assigned there)...

Thanks for the advice on all of that business with the router. If I have some extra money laying around I'll try to buy one before I go, though I'm thinking the money might be better invested on a small tv/dvd combo rather than bringing a bigger ones. Now if I can just find someone who worked The Great Movie Ride or Kilimanjaro Safaris to pick their brain... (as I hold out hope I might get assigned there)...
i was the same way. i thought about asking for one for xmas and i figured theres no point cuz if 4+ other roomies show up with one it will be a waste of money cuz the routers w/the regular connection for desk tops costs more and thats what I would need at home for my brothers desktop so theres no point. I have a line that runs from my basement up the laundry shoot to my desktop in my room and I would keep my laptop at school since i had a computer at home too

..sorry for the rant, I just dont see the point in buying a router beforehand unless u know ull use it when you get home but if u will use it when u go home u mite as well pick one up esp with xmas coming u might get a good deal!?

Joanna...

would u recom. using the roomie notification? I know who I want my roomie to be but I'm not sure if we are 100% on a complex and we def want a 2 or 3 bedroom. So should we decide what complex we want and use the notification or just wait till we get down there and hope they let us live together?? We already started talking on what things to bring so we don't have doubles (tv, dvd player, bathroom stuff, etc.)

what should we do?

Joanna...

would u recom. using the roomie notification? I know who I want my roomie to be but I'm not sure if we are 100% on a complex and we def want a 2 or 3 bedroom. So should we decide what complex we want and use the notification or just wait till we get down there and hope they let us live together?? We already started talking on what things to bring so we don't have doubles (tv, dvd player, bathroom stuff, etc.)

what should we do?

That's a hard one. I have never done the roomie notification (it started after my CPs). But for my first one I went down with a friend and we were allowed to room together. If you definitely want to room with this person, I would do the notification. But if you want to take a chance and wing it when you arrive (so you can go for a apartment/complex) then I would wait.

Second, has anyone taken a class from the Disney Exploration Series? It seems like a really cool learning experience. Thanks so much!

I am also really interested in the exploration series. Can you take a class and an exploration series? Anyone know?

I am taking a DES class right now called Exploring Guest Service at the Walt Disney World Resort, and it is really good! I am learning so much about WDW and all the work that goes into providing excellent guest service. I recommend taking one! It only meets once a week for about 2 hours. There are no tests, homework, or papers. You get to hear from guest speakers and we have been on 2 field trips. :)

I am sure you would be able to take a class and a DES class, but be sure to ask at Day 2 of check-in when you are registering for classes. I think you are allowed to take up to 2 DES classes per program.

PM me if you have any other questions about the DES classes or the CP in general!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter