College- Post Secondary Enrollment Options

They call it Dual Enrollment in California. It has been around for decades. It was free when I was in High School, but all Community College classes were free in California prior to the passage of Prop 13 in 1978.
Not sure if it is free anymore.
IMHO that is a great option for students, the tougher the classes that they take, the better. However, be prepared, depending on the College your child chooses after High School, the credits may not be accepted. Some colleges want you to take THEIR version of the class. But clearly if a student has already taken someone's version of a class, I would think they would be bound to do better in another college's version.

In Minnesota the Community College presents you with a list as part of acceptance telling you which classes will move over to meet what general ed requirements at Minnesota public colleges. Since most of the kids in Minnesota doing PSEO to save money will move to a Minnesota public four year, there isn't a lot of excuse for "it won't transfer." Out of State schools or private schools might not accept the credits, but at the point at which you are sending kids outstate (Minnesota doesn't have great reciprocity programs) or private, money is no longer your first concern. Most Minnesota private schools are very familiar with PSEO and will accept the credits - although perhaps not credits in your major.

In Minnesota the Community College presents you with a list as part of acceptance telling you which classes will move over to meet what general ed requirements at Minnesota public colleges. Since most of the kids in Minnesota doing PSEO to save money will move to a Minnesota public four year, there isn't a lot of excuse for "it won't transfer." Out of State schools or private schools might not accept the credits, but at the point at which you are sending kids outstate (Minnesota doesn't have great reciprocity programs) or private, money is no longer your first concern. Most Minnesota private schools are very familiar with PSEO and will accept the credits - although perhaps not credits in your major.

That's great. My daughter attended 2 different California State University Campuses, and there were some classes from the first CSU that the second CSU would not accept. Not sure how that can happen in the same public University system. My sons private college encouraged potential students to take AP and IB classes, but made it clear that none would be accepted for credit. But taking those classes would improve your chances of being admitted.

Georgia does. It is called dual enrollment and is paid for with a state grant called move on when ready. To qualify, you have to have a certain gpa (calculated by the state) and make a certain score on the sat or act.

My older son went to our local university full time for his senior year in high school. Took 8 classes and also passed 5 ap tests from his other years in high school. . He started at the university of Georgia half way thru his sophomore year.

This enabled him to graduate with a bachelors of accounting degree in 3 years without ever taking more than 4 classes a semester. He will earn his masters of taxation degree this year - 4 years for a bachelors and masters degree.

Younger son is doing dual enrollment full time right now for his senior year. It is such a great program. He will have 8 class credits to transfer to his real university next year.

In Georgia, all your credits and grades are transferable if you transfer to another Georgia university. If you transfer out of state, usually only the credits, not the grades transfer.

The state program pays for tuition, fees and books. All we had to pay for was $15 for parking for fall semester!

I tried to talk my DD into doing this for her senior year. She said she didn't want to. Well here we are at the end of the 2nd week of school in her senior year and she's wishing she had done it. Only one of her classes is challenging her and she's bored. I knew it would happen but it is too late to change now.
One of her friends is doing it and is very happy.

I tried to talk my DD into doing this for her senior year. She said she didn't want to. Well here we are at the end of the 2nd week of school in her senior year and she's wishing she had done it. Only one of her classes is challenging her and she's bored. I knew it would happen but it is too late to change now.
One of her friends is doing it and is very happy.

My son who is the dual enrollment senior just started classes at Kennesaw State University. He had 2 more weeks of summer :) Oh, and he only goes to college 3 days a week for 4 hours each day. He is loving it! Sorry your daughter is regretting her decision. It is really hard to make the decision unless you have first hand knowledge of how it all works. You also have to apply so early - everything had to be in by January of 2017 for fall of 2017.

It is a wonderful program though. My older son had a 4.0 from KSU from his dual enrollment year, and took that 4.0 to UGA. It enabled him to graduate summa cum laude with his undergraduate accounting degree, which is hard to do from UGA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter