Coast Guard evacuates woman

35+ years old pregnancies are considered high risk. I know, I've been there.
So have I. I have no reason to assume this woman didn’t consult with her doctor before traveling. If not, then she definitely suffered the consequences. Either way, I hope she and the baby are okay.

Last edited:
She had a blood transfusion on the ship?? Yikes, she must have not been doing well to receive blood products that have not been processed.
I very much doubt the reports that she got a transfusion while on board. No way DCL or anyone else is going to be transfusing unscreened blood products.

She had a blood transfusion on the ship?? Yikes, she must have not been doing well to receive blood products that have not been processed.
Read it on a fb post that came through my feed so no idea how true it it! But someone did post video from the deck of the helicopter. The only thing I hope is true is that she's doing ok.

I am currently in this cruise and my veranda was right by where the helicopter had to go. We were not allowed in our stateroom during the evacuation due to safety precautions. The woman herself posted online a couple of days ago that she had a medical procedure that she wasn’t willing to share the details and that she is doing ok. I don’t think it’s fair to judge her for sailing when you don’t have even a smidge of the facts.

I am currently in this cruise and my veranda was right by where the helicopter had to go. We were not allowed in our stateroom during the evacuation due to safety precautions. The woman herself posted online a couple of days ago that she had a medical procedure that she wasn’t willing to share the details and that she is doing ok. I don’t think it’s fair to judge her for sailing when you don’t have even a smidge of the facts.
Agreed everyone’s situation is different. Glad she reached out and she’s okay.

I think a lot of the risk with 35+ has to do with higher chance of m/c, difficulty getting pregnant, chromosome abnormalities, higher chance of c/s… I had twins before my 35th birthday, but I had 3 easy pregnancies before that, so my OB didn’t really consider me higher risk. Most women I know were pregnant on or around 35 (I was 29 with my first, still a baby myself).

This may be to the PP's point -- a cruise ship is NOT adequately prepared to deal with an obstetric emergency. This is why the cruiselines don't allow passengers past 24 weeks (I think that's the cut-off).

I pray the woman and her baby are ok. I hope she did not ignore the recommendations and cruise later along in her pregnancy.
Yes, 24 weeks is the standard now. No such standard when my wife and I cruised on RCCL in 1986 when she was 26-27 weeks along with our first child. Both her OB GYN and PCP had no issue with her cruising (other than the OB GYN "volunteering" to come along). Cruise line never asked, although she did get a wide berth on the dance floor! Our son did act like a stabilizer, if the ship went right, he went left. And to this day he has a fascination with water!

When it comes to cruising and traveling while pregnant, people need to do what they are comfortable with but my experience...I had a successful no complications first pregnancy. Traveled to France at 18 weeks. My second pregnancy at age 36 with absolutely no warning I went into labor at 23 weeks and delivered a stillborn child. Then with my last pregnancy I took additional precautions and still started to have issues at 23 weeks and was put on bedrest and delivered successfully. The reason I say all of this is my personal advice to woman would be to not cruise when pregnant (at any stage of preganancy) because honestly you just have no idea what is going to happen. I would be fine with traveling as long as medical care is easy to get to. But everyone has to make their own decisions.

I almost wish they hadn't mentioned her pregnancy status as without knowing if her condition was related to that it's hard to say she didn't anything "wrong" by cruising while being pregnant and I'm not sure I even read how far along she was. It's def. possible that an unrelated health issue could make a pregnancy more risky but not necessarily. Her age may or may not be an immediate factor either for her specifically. It did make the local news here even in the middle of the country but I think the cruise-evac-pregnancy was why.

I personally had a miscarriage while cruising on the Fantasy a few years ago. I was 13 weeks, and since we were at Grand Cayman I got transferred to a local hospital and got the necessary healthcare. I have to say that while it was an incredibly scary and sad experience, the staff on the cruise ship took great care of me and my family.
What a woman decides to do, especially early in her pregnancy, is her decision. Just wanted to share that I felt like I was well taken care of on DCL and at that hospital, and definitely book some travel insurance if possible!

I almost wish they hadn't mentioned her pregnancy status as without knowing if her condition was related to that it's hard to say she didn't anything "wrong" by cruising while being pregnant and I'm not sure I even read how far along she was. It's def. possible that an unrelated health issue could make a pregnancy more risky but not necessarily. Her age may or may not be an immediate factor either for her specifically. It did make the local news here even in the middle of the country but I think the cruise-evac-pregnancy was why.
I so agree. The same with the stranded in Africa. Yes, pregnant. But seemingly well enough to travel. I consider it a shock factor for headlines.

I personally had a miscarriage while cruising on the Fantasy a few years ago. I was 13 weeks, and since we were at Grand Cayman I got transferred to a local hospital and got the necessary healthcare. I have to say that while it was an incredibly scary and sad experience, the staff on the cruise ship took great care of me and my family.
What a woman decides to do, especially early in her pregnancy, is her decision. Just wanted to share that I felt like I was well taken care of on DCL and at that hospital, and definitely book some travel insurance if possible!
I’m sorry for your loss. I was not on a cruise, but also lost a pregnancy at 13 weeks.
I was wondering did you return home on the ship? Fly home? I always have a passport but wonder what Disney recommended for you during your experience.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter