Clothes for August

nwdisgal

DIS Veteran
We're going in August and I want to stay as dry and as comfortable as possible. What types of clothes/materials would you recommend to wear to the theme parks that dry quickly after the water rides and aren't perpetually damp from the humidity? Any suggestions are appreciated!

Light colored cotton shirts will help keep you cool. Synthetics don't breath well. (There may be some synthetics at sporting goods stores that are designed to keep you cool, but cotton is cheaper and easier to find.)

Shorts should be anything but denim. Denim is hot, and it's not comfortable after it gets wet. DH wears jogging/swim trunk-type shorts that dry very quickly. I usually just wear cotton twill shorts, like khaki walking shorts.

I always go during the week of August 25 til Sep 1 and its always hot and very humid, I used to bring all kinds of dressy clothes, but ended up mostly wearing tank tops, tshirts and cotton (like thin tshirt material) shorts, more than anything. If I have to dress up its in a short set, light knit material or a sleeveless sundress.

I will agree with Kermit. Wear light colored cotton shirts, I prefer T-Shirts. Shorts are also a must. We went in August and it is very humid with the temperatures in the mid to upper 90's. I wore t-shirts and shorts and was fine. However, we would go back to the resort at lunch time and the go back to the parks after 3:00 or so. Not much you can do to stay cool during that time, no matter what you are wearing.

Wear a hat!

Carry water...it's nice to have your own bottle while standing in line!

Herc.

We went this last May and this is what I learned for myself in the 95 degree heat:

1) No bra. Never again if it is in the 90's. I bought those tank tops at Wal-Mart with the built in bra. I was miserable my first day wearing a t-shirt & bra. I was comfy...(Of course, I am not even close to being a double D!

2) Everybody will wear men's/boy's bathing suit trunks, myself included. The nylon material dries quickly and those mesh underwear do not stick to you like wet fruit of the looms or ladies undies:)
Especially at Universal and IOA where the opportunities to get wet are much greater. This will eliminate our need to pack extra clothes to the parks if we get drenched. I don't have my 10 year old DD sold on this idea yet, as she is quite modest(NO underwear--MOM!) Bought a bunch for DH and myself at Wal-Mart for under 6.00

3) Super comfy, high tech sports sandals for all, with a completely padded top. Air conditioned feet are the best, and you don't have to worry about getting squishy shoes. I bought some for myself, but DH didn't see these sense in it for himself or the kids. HA HA, they were popping blisters every night and draining and applying moleskin in the AM.

4) Even if you are not a hat girl, a baseball hat for all--to heck with the 'do.

Don't forget the sunscreen. Even on a cloudy day you can get a wicked sunburn. Also, if you are wearing sandals make sure to put the sunscreen on the top of your feet. I went tubing once and forget to put sunscreen on the top of my feet. My feet were burned.

What about wearing a bathing suit with shorts over it? I have done that at the Six flags near us and it worked well.I'm not talking a bikinitop.,I mean a one piece tank type thing or the top of a tankini.I am going in August and have wondered the same thing. What to wear.
Thanks

Well, should I even bother with any long sleeve jackets or anything like that, just in case it turned cold at night? I really don't think so, but my DH kept saying ' just in case'??

I always bring a jacket of some sort as I freeze in the airconditioning. Its going to be 95 where I live today and I'll be inside with a sweater on!

It's 95 degrees today in southeastern Ohio. The humidity is 98% (It's actually 10 degrees cooler in Orlando according to USA Today:rolleyes: )

My question--Are you sure we have to wear clothes in Aug?;)

IowaGirl, "Thank You" for your great tips for battling the heat in August. Everyone else is giving awsome tips to, thanks for posting them all! I was thinking maybe a sports bra might work best for me. I went out and purchased some of those nylon type shorts at Kohls, they had them in the womens sport clothing section on sale. I was headed to the mens sports department if not. They will be so much better than my normal jean shorts which are too hot to walk any park all day in that kind of heat. Just got to find a hat I like.

RobinLyn :D

Originally posted by Chance's Mom

My question--Are you sure we have to wear clothes in Aug?;)

Depends where you go in Florida! If you're asking about Disney, uhm, yea. You gotta cover the interesting bits. :p

-Joe

I can't sing the praises of men's swim trunks with the meshie undies loud enough, especially when they are a little big for me(extra air conditioning:) )
I used to wear the bathing suit thing with the shorts over it, but why bother? Plus I was picking out the suit in places I shouldn't have been picking at in WDW;) , too much exercise going on in an outfit that was meant for little activity.
I also thought of the sports bra, maybe with a huge, loose mens tank top over it. Or a tube top with the men's tank over it(they have hugely cut arm holes for comfort)

Girls, just be comfortable!!!Wear what YOU feel comfortable and decent in, and to heck with anybody else.

By the way, I was in a sporting good store 2 days ago and Teva has a new sandal that is a RUNNING sandal. Long distance runners actually wear them running. They were pricy-90.00, but I'm tempted becuase comfy cool feet are sooo important to my comfort level at WDW. They actually did not have the sandal in the store, he showed it to me in a Teva catalog. We'll see...

Great tips you guys! I was at Gap this week and they had men's swimsuits on sale for $6.99! They look pretty unisex, kind of like those shorts we used to wear in gym class. Needless to say, I picked up a few for DH and am eyeballing a few myself. I think that is a great idea for staying cool. Also, I like the built in bra, tankini top idea.

My brother just came back from Fla. last week and he said it had been wet and rainy, and colder than usual. Of course, we were discussing this sitting on the deck yesterday in Seattle shivering in wet, rainy 60 degree weather trying to celebrate 4th of July. I'll try to send some cool air east bound for you guys on the other coast ;)

By the way, do any of you remember when thongs used to be something you wore on your feet (I think they call them flip-flops now), or am I dating myself?

Originally posted by nwdisgal

By the way, do any of you remember when thongs used to be something you wore on your feet (I think they call them flip-flops now), or am I dating myself?

"Down" the jersey shore we'd always called them flip-flops. Thongs always sounded wierd to me until they came out with the bathing costume version of 'thong'. I then became much more interested in them. :)

Wifeypoo (also an Iowa girl, but one who fled east for a career and a man) has tried on the men's swin trunks...the mesh was something she said 'felt strange', but she likes them. She also tried on the sports bra for the first time. Beyond making her larger cup-size chest look great, she said it was the most comfortable bra she'd ever worn. I think this thread has given her two winning ideas. :)

-Joe
planning a trip with 8 Iowegians, 2 Minnesotans (???) and one worried ex-Iowa wifeypoo.

Ok, I think we have it narrowed down to women's sports bras that look like tank tops, men's swimtrunks, and thongs (flip flops) are optional.

We are setting a new fashion trend - what should I do for a hat? Mariner's baseball cap maybe? ;) Yankee fans, don't boot me!

I'm going to have to check out the men's bathing suit thingys, good suggestion. Unfortunately, the braless thing for me is out of the question, definitely need support in that area;) and the shirts with the built in bras just don't do it (or fit;)). For me sports bras are sweatier than a regular one, what a pain!

Also if you don't like wearing something on your head, you can consider wearing a sun visor, they're more comfortable for me, my head doesn't sweat as much since I have thick hair.

BTW, for those remarks about if it gets cold at night. It doesn't. In Florida from June to September, it feels just as hot at night as it is during the day --minus the sun:). Of course, it can feel a little cooler when it's rainy but it can be even more steamy after.

YES jmminarik I remember thongs, the ones you wore on your feet, I think they changed the name to flip flops when thongs moved to the backside of the body:D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter