Churches in Italy, can you wear Capris?

helenk

I wish I was in Disney World
I know that you can not wear shorts, you have to have your knees covered. I'd rather not wear a skirt if I do not have to, and was considering packing Capris. Will that be okay?

Capris are fine (they should hit mid-knee though, i wore ones and I got in fine). Make sure your shoulders are covered also.

Thank you for your prompt reply. Since I am short most of my capris are mid calf.

Not sure if this question was directed more towards women, but as a men, I usually had not problems getting into churches wearing short pants (not quite knee-lenghts).

However, at the Vatican, they absolutely wouldn't let me into St. Peters with the short pants. So I just took off my pants (on St. Peters Square) :rotfl2: and switched pants with my friend who had long pants and had been in there before so he didn't go in again.

I second that about St Peters. They seem to be the strictest about pants length. Also, tank tops and spaghetti straps are not welcome!

I wouldn't count on wearing any length shorter than calf length to be safe.

Many touristic churches in Italy provide some kind of capes (similiar to the Disney rain capes, but cloth) to cover up while visiting the church. Usually it is free of charge. But at the Vatican, you have to dress appropiatly, since they do not provide such capes.

Capris are OK, no tank tops. If you want to wear a tank top just fold a blouse up and stick it in your bag, put the blouse on as required so you are layered.

I would say it depends on where in Italy you are going to be.
My DH is from Italy and I was informed it's pants or skirts only also I had to have my shoulders covered and no flip flop type shoes. This was in Mirabella (near Naples)

In Rome I was ok in Dress Capri's and nicer twin set again full shoes.

I hope this helps a bit :) Have a blast in Italy and as I am sure you are well aware. Never take money out in front of a people like the Trevi fountain pick pockets are at their prime there also DO NOT buy chestnuts off the street a lot of them are looking to see where you keep your money.

I would say it depends on where in Italy you are going to be.
My DH is from Italy and I was informed it's pants or skirts only also I had to have my shoulders covered and no flip flop type shoes. This was in Mirabella (near Naples)

In Rome I was ok in Dress Capri's and nicer twin set again full shoes.

I hope this helps a bit :) Have a blast in Italy and as I am sure you are well aware. Never take money out in front of a people like the Trevi fountain pick pockets are at their prime there also DO NOT buy chestnuts off the street a lot of them are looking to see where you keep your money.

Thank you for the tips, I've heard that you have to be careful of pick pockets but was not aware of how they get an idea of where you have your money etc.

Capris are OK, no tank tops. If you want to wear a tank top just fold a blouse up and stick it in your bag, put the blouse on as required so you are layered.

My shape does not go with tank tops, so no problem there. I am packing capris and polo shirts, and perhaps a skirt that does not require ironing.

Lat time round I carried my own shawl …just in case. Didn’t really need it; I did wear calf length skirts the whole time though.

Helen - The only times that we needed to cover our knees and shoulders were in The Vatican and in St. Mark's Basillica in Venice. You don't spend a lot of time there and you also cannot take any large bags inside. In addition, you can't take pictures in there either. I decided to stay outside with my bag since I had my laptop in it (it was our travel day to Venice, so I did some picture downloading and newletter updating while on the train). Heidi and Marco stayed with the bags, but I still decided not to go in, but they told us no shorts or tank tops inside either.

Helen - The only times that we needed to cover our knees and shoulders were in The Vatican and in St. Mark's Basillica in Venice. You don't spend a lot of time there and you also cannot take any large bags inside. In addition, you can't take pictures in there either. I decided to stay outside with my bag since I had my laptop in it (it was our travel day to Venice, so I did some picture downloading and newletter updating while on the train). Heidi and Marco stayed with the bags, but I still decided not to go in, but they told us no shorts or tank tops inside either.

Thank you. I did not know about the large bag part. I am not sure if my daughter is going to bring her lap top, but I will certainly let her know that it would have to stay outside with the guides.
Looking at the average temps for May, I do not expect really hot weather when we go. It looks as though capris and nice tops will be fine for us.

Thank you. I did not know about the large bag part. I am not sure if my daughter is going to bring her lap top, but I will certainly let her know that it would have to stay outside with the guides.
Looking at the average temps for May, I do not expect really hot weather when we go. It looks as though capris and nice tops will be fine for us.

I just re-read my post and I wanted to clarify something. You can take your backpacks into The Vatican and you probably won't have your laptop with you at the Vatican. My comments about large bags and keeping everything outside with the guides pertained to St. Mark's Basilica. Let me know if you have any other questions while things are still fresh in my head. :goodvibes

I just re-read my post and I wanted to clarify something. You can take your backpacks into The Vatican and you probably won't have your laptop with you at the Vatican. My comments about large bags and keeping everything outside with the guides pertained to St. Mark's Basilica. Let me know if you have any other questions while things are still fresh in my head. :goodvibes

Okay, thank you for the clarification. We are getting so close to going on our trip that my brain is just swimming. One minute I am nervous, the next excited and then excited and nervous.:)

In Rome, particularly, I intend to carry my netbook everywhere... I plan on it being in my purse (pacsafe... ). Will I be able to take that in? It isn't backpack sized actually not even as big as many purses I've seen... will that fly?
:surfweb:

They are very strict at the Vatican! My dh is Italian and the village he is from...about 45 minutes from Rome, they really preferred skirts or long dress pants on women (no jeans) and arms covered...now that was 10 plus years ago, some of our female relatives went about 3 years ago to visit and said some "tourists" were wearing jeans! I guess it was acceptable b/c they were "outsiders" and didn't know all of the customs? Keep in mind though if you venture outside of Rome (which is pretty cosmopolitan) that many of the small villages are VERY "old fashioned" in their beliefs in respect to modesty/clothing. Have fun and enjoy all of the DELICIOUS food!

Okay... if I'm going to put on a skirt... can I wear my Teva sandals with it? I thought I saw somewhere that they aren't wild about open toed shoes, either... I will totally look like a dweeb if I wear a skirt that day and my Nike's... I am not taking special shoes just for a couple hours one day... :laundy:

Okay... if I'm going to put on a skirt... can I wear my Teva sandals with it? I thought I saw somewhere that they aren't wild about open toed shoes, either... I will totally look like a dweeb if I wear a skirt that day and my Nike's... I am not taking special shoes just for a couple hours one day... :laundy:

I'm not positive about the open toe shoes. Nobody ever mentioned anything about not wearing them. I must say that there is a lot of walking in Rome, both on day 1 and on day 2 through the Vatican museum, Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's Basilica, and to lunch. I would worry more about comfort than looking like a dweeb;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter