Christian Military Families

Thanks for all the responses, I'm so glad to find so many new friends. My husband is at AIT in Fort Gordon GA and that is where we spent Thanksgiving and the weekend following. Now don't get me wrong, going into this whole military thing I knew that it wouldn't be church and that there was going to be some bad language, etc. But I had no idea how bad it really was:eek: I was shocked at the language that was repeatedly uttered right in front of my 4 year old and 10 year old. Some of the conversations I overheard were TMI and I can't remember ever talking that way even when I was a rebelious teenager who thought I knew everything. Bear in mind my DH is 36 and just joined the National Guard 6x8, he is pretty grounded in his faith. Did any of you worry about the spiritual, mental, emotional effect this environment would have on your spouse? And if so how do you/them deal with it?

Wow! Sounds like it's a pretty tough croud! My husband is in the Air National Guard and when it's just him around "the guys" (and few girls) they do talk kind of "bad." But when the family is around, they really clean up their act and if they do slip one or more of them will correct the bad words.

I think a lot of it has to do with respect, I would think that they would be able to see that there is a child and keep the bad talk down.

Also, my husband is very strong in his faith... when he was active duty Air Force he became so much stronger in faith. I do think it is the people that you surround yourself with.--- Now everyone that works with my hubby know that he is Christian and they respect that, but he does sometimes use words at work that he would NEVER use at home. Why, human nature I would guess, but not always the best choice.

Sorry that they were like this around your child, I would not stand that and would have let them know then and there if I heard something that my 4 year old shouldn't be hearing. I know it's not always easy to do and I use to just leave the area, but sometimes there just isn't anywhere else to go. You could also have your husband say something to them about it... again not always easy, but he will be more respected for it in the long run!

Let us know how things turn out!

Thanks for all the responses, I'm so glad to find so many new friends. My husband is at AIT in Fort Gordon GA and that is where we spent Thanksgiving and the weekend following. Now don't get me wrong, going into this whole military thing I knew that it wouldn't be church and that there was going to be some bad language, etc. But I had no idea how bad it really was:eek: I was shocked at the language that was repeatedly uttered right in front of my 4 year old and 10 year old. Some of the conversations I overheard were TMI and I can't remember ever talking that way even when I was a rebelious teenager who thought I knew everything. Bear in mind my DH is 36 and just joined the National Guard 6x8, he is pretty grounded in his faith. Did any of you worry about the spiritual, mental, emotional effect this environment would have on your spouse? And if so how do you/them deal with it?

My husband is active duty army. I've been to Gordon several times(my husband is signal too) and unfournately at unofficial social gatherings I think you are just going to hear that kind of language. I know that it is rampant at AIT because it's a bunch of younger(usually) kids straight from high school trying to act the soldier part, which to them includes the language.

I wouldn't think that your husband would be so affected by the language if he isn't around it all the time, not being active duty. I also think that a person's base in religion or just moral beliefs goes deep no matter where that person is. Yes, he may hear the language at work but that doesn't mean he will use it at home. My husband sometimes has the mouth of a sailor but never around me, just like he smokes around the soliders but not me.

I naturally worry about my husband's mental and emotional being just because he has been deployed several times and getting ready for another round. Sometimes you just wonder how much a person can take. In our household we talk about anything and everything nothing held back on either side. My husband is also rooted in his faith and family, which I really thinks helps the most. He knows I can carry him when he feels like he can't go on and he knows that there are days he has to carry me. We also had good friends in the unit chaplain who is a great help.

I think if you are having worries you need to speak to your husband about them. It will bring it out in the open which will help you and it could be food for thought for your husband.

P.S. My husband adds that the nex time you know you are going to Gordon, ask your husband to set up a time to meet with a chaplain there who can guide you towards some comfort and books that will be of help to you both.

Thanks for the great advice and encouraging words ladies!

Lovemygoofy - I noticed that you are in Kentucky, are you at Fort Knox? That is where DH did BCT and we were there for graduation. Fort Gordon was such a contrast from Fort Knox but I realize at graduation we saw what they wanted to see. DH says it was more disciplined there but a lot of people I have talked to have said that any AIT course is not as structured as BCT.

DH said that they had a church service when they were at the FOB and he tried to talk to the chaplin then but he just more or less brushed them off. He had only been at Fort Gordon about a week at that time. Thanksgiving week was his 3rd week there and he was saying how he hadn't been able to find anyone to go to chapel with him on Sunday's and they can't go anywhere alone. So on the way home Saturday night I talked to the Lord for a long time about it and prayed that he would bring someone alongside DH who was a believer and that they could be an encouragement to each other. Sunday morning one of the other guys came and asked him if he would go to church with him so that was a huge answer to prayer and now one of DH's buddies that came to Fort Gordon with him from Fort Knox wants to go to.

Thanks again.

Girls I was happy to see this thread. I am an Army Mom (DS and DDIL) and have been at a few Army bases. DS did his AIT at Fort Gordon also. From my experience most soldiers are very respectful of women, children and elders. If not DS does not hesitate to remind them.

At Ft. Belvoir, VA, and at Ft. Bragg, NC there is a super church service called Chapel Next. I do not know how many bases have Chapel Next but not all do. DH and I are in our 50's but we love to worship there. These young people are so loving and spiritual. We come from a traditional Baptist background and never thought we would enjoy the contempary style church. If you are ever on a base where they have a Chapel Next check it out.

Let me take this opportunity to thank all of you for your sacrafices you are making for our country. I know the soldier makes them but so do their families. I pray for each of you as a whole daily. God Bless You.

Girls I was happy to see this thread. I am an Army Mom (DS and DDIL) and have been at a few Army bases. DS did his AIT at Fort Gordon also. From my experience most soldiers are very respectful of women, children and elders. If not DS does not hesitate to remind them.

At Ft. Belvoir, VA, and at Ft. Bragg, NC there is a super church service called Chapel Next. I do not know how many bases have Chapel Next but not all do. DH and I are in our 50's but we love to worship there. These young people are so loving and spiritual. We come from a traditional Baptist background and never thought we would enjoy the contempary style church. If you are ever on a base where they have a Chapel Next check it out.

Let me take this opportunity to thank all of you for your sacrafices you are making for our country. I know the soldier makes them but so do their families. I pray for each of you as a whole daily. God Bless You.

Thanks tngramma! I have a post guide and The Signal I picked up while at Fort Gordon. I'll have to check them when I get home and see if they have Chapel Next. I know it had a listing of all the chapel services. BTW are you in Tennessee? We are right outside Chattanooga. :wave2:

Thanks for the great advice and encouraging words ladies!

Lovemygoofy - I noticed that you are in Kentucky, are you at Fort Knox? That is where DH did BCT and we were there for graduation. Fort Gordon was such a contrast from Fort Knox but I realize at graduation we saw what they wanted to see. DH says it was more disciplined there but a lot of people I have talked to have said that any AIT course is not as structured as BCT.

DH said that they had a church service when they were at the FOB and he tried to talk to the chaplin then but he just more or less brushed them off. He had only been at Fort Gordon about a week at that time. Thanksgiving week was his 3rd week there and he was saying how he hadn't been able to find anyone to go to chapel with him on Sunday's and they can't go anywhere alone. So on the way home Saturday night I talked to the Lord for a long time about it and prayed that he would bring someone alongside DH who was a believer and that they could be an encouragement to each other. Sunday morning one of the other guys came and asked him if he would go to church with him so that was a huge answer to prayer and now one of DH's buddies that came to Fort Gordon with him from Fort Knox wants to go to.

Thanks again.

I'm sorry your husband is/was having a hard time with church service. I had forgotten that your husband is still in AIT, that's been many years ago for us lol but I do know that the rules make it difficult to go somewhere.

As for the chaplain brushing him off during the FOB, I think sometimes there are just chaplains like that who are always in a hurry. I've seen some great ones and some not so great ones but it he realy needs some help or a good chaplain let me know. I know several permanent party people at Gordon who can give up some names of chaplains.

We are stationed at Ft. Campbell, KY and our house is actually in TN. I've drove through Chattanooga more times than I'd like to this year on my way to Gordon to see my husband who was there for almost 6 months.

I think that once your husband gets to his unit, you should see a change in the environment when there are meetings or whatever where family is invited.

I know that there is a no tolerance poilcy when we have family in the building for language and trust me I've called several on it myself. I just think once the environment changes, it will be better for your husband. I will say that once a deployment happens though, jeez the language is really bad and sometimes I have to give my husband the "look" to make him realize that he is with me and not his soldiers.

I think with your whole family rooted together, ya'll will do just fine.

Hi Tina,

I do so appreciate you sharing your experience. I think it is like you said previously, a bunch of young kids. They weren't using it in conversation with us, it just seemed liked it was everywhere on base we went. DH says they are really immature, he gets a little irritated and tells them our DS 10 is more mature than they are. I think I was so shocked because as a teenager, before I became a believer, I used some bad language but only in certain circles......it seems that the young people now just use it as a part of general conversation language. My DH is 25U, after Christmas he will have about 11 weeks left at AIT. He is with the Chattanooga unit of the National Guard, he is in a new unit, I think it is 225th. He did RSP before going to basic and I think when he comes back he drills with them once more before moving into his unit. One of the other Chattanooga units are in Iraq right now as MPs at the prison there.

Thanks tngramma! I have a post guide and The Signal I picked up while at Fort Gordon. I'll have to check them when I get home and see if they have Chapel Next. I know it had a listing of all the chapel services. BTW are you in Tennessee? We are right outside Chattanooga. :wave2:

DH and I live in Northeast TN (Tri Cities) most of the year. But we also live in Severn MD near our grandchildren there. DDIL is stationed at FT. Meade and DS is stationed in DC. We are the child care system for deployments and such.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter