China Trip Report 2014

Kevin,

Thanks for the wonderful trip report! Love the photos. We hope to go to China with ABD in two years for our 30th anniversary. Your wife is a saint. :littleangel: Hopefully your entire family can repeat this trip when your little ones are old enough.

Kathy

Another great installment and photos, Cousin Orville! Your report and photos brought back wonderful memories of the trip.

It was cool to see the same couple who taught us fan dancing and sword tai chi in Fuxing Park still doing this 6 years later.

I think we ate dozens of those delicious dumplings at Tin Dai Fung! LOL We also really enjoyed the ERA show. The finale was amazing and the special surprise afterwards was cool too.

Regarding the change of hotels in Beijing, a previous post mentioned that the Peninsula Beijing will be undergoing renovations, so maybe AbD decided to find another hotel during that period. And like you said, the Regent isn't exactly a budget hotel, so everything's good...

We took united through Chicago. It flew west over the pacific. I spoke with someone who connected through Detroit and they went East over the Atlantic. I thought that was interesting since the cities are so close to one another.
I wonder where the "cutoff point" is where it's more efficient to go East vs. West? I'll have to do some research on that!

We flew non stop both ways from Chicago to beijing 13.5 hours and then Hong Kong to Chicago 15 hours....the jet lag going home was worse by far....I think non stop if you can is the way to go...it certainly cuts down on travel time which is already so looooong.
Nonstop from Chicago! Yipes! But I agree, I'd rather load onto the plane once, and just *be* there, rather than having to get off, run around the airport, re-board, etc.

We flew nonstop from Toronto to Beijing (going west). I managed to upgrade our family to executive first on Air Canada. We flew back from HK non stop in economy.

It was worth the upgrade. Lol. The last time I had flown such a long distance, I got sick and it lasted for almost the entire trip (3 weeks) so I was determined that I would arrive rested and healthy. :) Coming back I didn't care as much. Lol.
Oh, I'll have to look into this. I've flown to Europe from Toronto before; it's an easy transfer from Columbus. Hm....

LoL. Hahaha. I'll tell my brother. You know, take away the fancy hotels and ABD would still be the best because if the guides. :)
ABSOLUTELY!!! The Guides are, to me, the best thing about ABD, period! :thumbsup2

Agree 100%. We're actually finishing up my 2 postdays in Hong Kong. We fly out tomorrow morning. Gavin and I have been fighting the ABD guide withdrawal with Steven and Christopher and the rest of the group. You really form an emotional bond with these guys. Sometimes you're a little sad when you leave Walt Disney World, Disneyland, or a Cruise. Usually I think you're sad because you're not ready to leave that PLACE. That can be very real and important, but I think ABD transcends that. When you finish and ABD you're sad because you miss the PEOPLE. That is the X Factor that is difficult to explain to those who haven't taken an ABD.
I also agree! The Adventure Guides really add *SO* much to the experience. And I find that the caliber of people who take ABD's is generally pretty special, too. I've started doing more of my on-my-own exploring during *pre-days*, and only doing post-days if they're through ABD. Otherwise I go home after the ABD. You start shlepping your own stuff, and trying to figure out where to eat, and say "Where are my Adventure Guides???"

Kevin,

Thanks for doing such a great trip report. Like many others, this adventure has risen on my list of things to consider for 2016. So many places to see in the world and not enough vacation time!

Hilary (will be in Prague one week from today!)
Amen to that! :)

Looking forward to your Report on Central Europe! :cool1:

Sayhello

We flew Delta from Orlando to Detroit and from Detroit, the plane took the polar route Northwest to Beijing (13 hours). Coming home was longer...Hong Kong-Narita, Narita-JFK, JFK-MCO...Loooonnnnggggg time but the lay flat beds and Delta Lounges helped!

...Regarding the change of hotels in Beijing, a previous post mentioned that the Peninsula Beijing will be undergoing renovations, so maybe AbD decided to find another hotel during that period. And like you said, the Regent isn't exactly a budget hotel, so everything's good...

That's what I gathered about the hotel change as well when the manager at the Shanghai Peninsula told us about Beijing's upcoming renovations. The Regent is a just a block away AND it sits on top of the subway station so it will be easier for pre-stay (or free time) subway rides.

Just like everyone else I would like to thank you for this amazing trip report! It's fascinating to read about everything you've seen and done. Just like everyone has stated this is now high on the list of trips to do. Can't wait to read your future report on Australia....that is the one place I can talk my husband into going so I won't be solo. However, I'm now seriously considering china in 2016 and putting Italy off for the next trip.

I think the Beijing Peninsula needed renovations. Out of all the hotels we stayed in on that trip, the Beijing Peninsula was the least spectacular. It was actually kind of ordinary. Mind you, ordinary for an ABD trip is still miles above what we usually stay in. hahahaha

Day 10 Shanghai to Hong Kong

Last night we were given the option for this morning. We could go to the Shanghai museum or sleep in. I did neither. :). I woke up early, but Gavin was still sleeping. So I caught up on my notes and emails. We had a nice relaxing breakfast in the beautiful Peninsula lobby again. Gavin caught up on some iPad Minion Mayhem and again I worked a bit more on my trip report. We walked out on the Bund one more time and went back to catch up with everyone else to head to the airport. It sounded like those who went to the museum enjoyed it, but they only had an hour there.

We caught the maglev train to the airport. It's one of three in the world and the only high speed one traveling at a constant 300 km/h. The ride only took 8 min. It was cool, but at 1.2 billion $ to construct, it hasn't been able to turn a profit yet since it was constructed. I doubt anymore high speed maglevs will be built again anytime soon.

Leaving Shanghai was disappointing, I really love this city and would have liked another day at least. I'm very curious to see what ABD does with it's China adventure when Shanghai Disney opens late next year. There's no time to fit it in as the itinerary currently stands. It would be nice to have a full day there. Paris now has the option for a DLP add on. In HK Disneyland they spend a few hrs there, but being at the end of the trip you have the option of doing a post day to go again. So I hope they either spend an entire day there (rather than just a few hrs) or perhaps completely reshape the China trip and start or end in Shanghai. I think an adventure that incorporates Shanghai Disney would sell very well. The park sounds like nothing we've ever seen.

Our flight to Hong Kong took off an hour late. It didn't affect us too much. We got into Hong Kong and checked in. This hotel is not quite as nice as some of the others. However it has the best view. You're looking right out on Victoria Harbor. It was difficult to appreciate that as the windows were smeared over. I thought they were incredibly dirty, but in actuality it was because it was so cold in the room and so humid outside. Eventually the window cleared up. You can look across and see all the buildings lit up on Hong Kong Island. The hotel is on the Kowloon side, which is a peninsula attached to mainland China. Kowloon, Hong Kong Island, the New Territories, and some other islands make up "Hong Kong". We did have a pot of hot tea waiting for us along with some Mickey Mouse cookies. That was a nice touch. As mentioned before next year they are switching to the Peninsula in Hong Kong. That's a major step up. I'm shocked and impressed. In case I forget to mention later, we visited the Peninsula briefly a couple days later. The lobby looks just as nice if not nicer than the Peninsula Shanghai.

We went out across the street to get a Hong Kong Starbucks mug. Gavin was really too tired to even stop to eat anywhere. So, we went back inside and up to the room. We thought about room service, but elected to just go to bed instead. I think most people with older kids walked around HK a bit and ate.

14333505120_d09ce6b25b_z.jpg

Breakfast in Shanghai

14540271463_e781f9d5ed_z.jpg

14518748494_6bf3935579_z.jpg

It's bright outside. Forgot our sunglasses.

14518784314_ce1e2cf737_z.jpg

14497064506_61e2a6409a_z.jpg

Cool elevators in the hotel

14540244443_0e0d7c1e97_z.jpg

The Maglev to take us to Shanghai Pudong International Airport

14518712334_8778ab0265_z.jpg

14497126906_d512d254b9_z.jpg

14516748121_dd2476795f_z.jpg

We arrived at the Shangri La in Hong Kong

14518710724_f63df60758_z.jpg

Out our window to the right

14333676707_bd5885bec4_z.jpg

Out our window to the left

Cousin Orville, was Day 10 basically a travel day without any planned activities?

The Shangri-La Hong Kong looks very nice with great views. We stayed at the Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel which was actually a better option since we were able to spend the afternoon and evening in the park.

Yes, it will be very interesting to see how AbD revises the China itinerary once Shanghai Disneyland opens. We were told that AbD dropped the theme parks from the China and London/Paris itineraries because they didn't want guests to think that these trips were about seeing Mickey & Minnie. They want these trips to be educational and fun, just not with the mouse...

Kevin - your trip report is great and China looks amazing. Its definitely on my list of places to go.

I have to ask....how do you swing so many vacation days? I take about 3-4 weeks off a year and I'm typically the one in the office who actually takes the most! :)

I'd love to have 7 weeks off like Europeans, and the entire month of August off!

Anyway, I'm extremely jealous. I would book several more trips a year if I could get the time off :goodvibes

Cousin Orville, was Day 10 basically a travel day without any planned activities? ...

Essentially yes. You could go to the museum or relax in shanghai. We got to the hotel in HK around 7:30. Rest of the night was free. All of the other travel days still had morning and/or evening activities.

Kevin - your trip report is great and China looks amazing. Its definitely on my list of places to go.

I have to ask....how do you swing so many vacation days? I take about 3-4 weeks off a year and I'm typically the one in the office who actually takes the most! :)

I'd love to have 7 weeks off like Europeans, and the entire month of August off!

Anyway, I'm extremely jealous. I would book several more trips a year if I could get the time off :goodvibes

I work with another doctor who can cover our patients. I'm very lucky I have the coworkers I have.

Cousin Orville, was Day 10 basically a travel day without any planned activities?

The Shangri-La Hong Kong looks very nice with great views. We stayed at the Hong Kong Disneyland Hotel which was actually a better option since we were able to spend the afternoon and evening in the park.

Yes, it will be very interesting to see how AbD revises the China itinerary once Shanghai Disneyland opens. We were told that AbD dropped the theme parks from the China and London/Paris itineraries because they didn't want guests to think that these trips were about seeing Mickey & Minnie. They want these trips to be educational and fun, just not with the mouse...

It was a 40 min subway ride to HKDL. Not too bad as the park didn't open until 10a anyway. I think I prefer staying in Kowloon to be able to do things up there, but then you'll see we did go to DL often. Gavin and I walked over to the DL Resort to have lunch one day. Very nice. Reminded me of the Grand Floridian.

I really hope ABD does include a full day in Shanghai Disney in the future. Unlike Paris, Tokyo, or even HK, I think it's less realistic to create your own trip to Shanghai. ABD would probably be my best chance of seeing the park.

Day 11 (Part 1) Hong Kong

Other than last night, today is really the only scheduled day in Hong Kong. Most flights back to the US leave in the morning. So, if you're going on this trip consider whether you want to add any postdays in Hong Kong. I think it's a good idea to add a couple days. If you really wanted to do most of the major sites including going over to Macau, 4-5 would be necessary. We're staying 2 extra days. Having said that, we did see quite a lot of Hong Kong today.

The day started early, 8:30a and finished late 10p. As usual breakfast was prior to meeting in the lobby. Breakfast was very good. Not as outstanding as in Shanghai, but it had lots of variety. In fact there was probably more options here than anywhere else. In addition to the usual items, they also had Japanese and maybe Indian selections.

We met in the lobby and hopped on the bus to go to Stanley Market a little ways away over on Hong Kong Island. The bus took one of the many tunnels over to the island. Stanley Market is one of several markets in Hong Kong. The 2 others popular ones are Temple Street and Ladies Market, both close to the hotel. After Stanley and many ones before, I was street marketed out. They all sell similar things, but apparently have a little different feel about them. The ones closer to the hotel are more popular at night I believe. I still had on my shopping list some chops (the Chinese stamps carved with your name that act like a seal or signature). Plus Gavin's wanted to shop around as well. I found my chop shop and also picked up a silk scarf for my DW. Gavin found an electronic shop that sold all sorts of cool things. He ended up buying 2 lasers. A cheap one that ended up being complete junk (you could barely see it) and a very high quality one with all sorts of filters that can be placed to refract the laser into all sorts of different patterns. It was actually kind of cool. We were interviewed by some elementary school children that were practicing their English. It was very cute.

After Stanley Market we drove up to Victoria Peak, the highest point on Hong Kong island. I've been here 20 years ago when I was in my teens, but don't remember much about it. It was a lovely view. I'm sure a lot more buildings have been constructed since my last visit. We took some photos, and ate lunch on the peak. The food was very good. It was at a restaurant converted from the tram operators house. It was a beautiful spot. We had the choice of a hamburger, chicken or vegetarian curry. Many people got the curry including me. Kids also had the choice of spaghetti which Gavin had. Lunch was very tasty and was a good choice.

Afterwards we took the tram ride down from Victoria Peak - a must do in a Hong Kong. It was short but a lovely view. From the tram we boarded the Star Ferry - another must while in Hong Kong. We took the ferry back over to the Kowloon side where our bus was waiting for us. It started raining just before boarding the ferry. Thankfully the hardest rain was while we were crossing the harbor. Next stop - Disneyland. We arrived at Disneyland probably around 3-3:30.

{After writing this up, I see I need to break this very long, fun day into two halves. Once I get my photos uploaded and ready, I'll post the 2nd part}

I am enjoying your trip report immensely. Thank you for sharing your experiences and pictures and taking the time to do so. The hotels look amazing!!

Reading this has me seriously thinking about booking the trip for next June, especially since my dd studies Mandarin in school!! The only thing stopping me is I have to determine ds's graduation date from college before I book it!

We are leaving for the August 2nd Central Europe ABD on July 29th. So excited :cool1::cool1:!!

14519656991_2e9cacc41a_z.jpg

The road down to Stanley Market

14336445129_3818e31966_z.jpg

Stanley Market

14521988712_dcba4bda41_z.jpg

14523034575_1fb128737a_z.jpg

14519653471_3ff849f0b1_z.jpg

14543165293_d9d1619684_z.jpg

14336593507_1ba1f596fb_z.jpg

The view from Victoria Peak

14336390780_14e07c8cc5_z.jpg

14519651841_6d174ab867_z.jpg

The little restaurant we ate at with the red roof

14527285874_473aa720d5_z.jpg

14528797685_f40591e469_z.jpg

14342154668_d387ac6f6f_z.jpg

View for me tram ride down

14548832633_57da5f10d1_z.jpg

Star Ferry in the rain

14525314551_bb84b43951_z.jpg

Off the Ferry and back on the Kowloon side

14527678712_a38d051d58_z.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter