China 2010

We are going to the Expo in about 1 hour. I will give you an update later. Just check my Flat Stanley thread.

I spent 1 1/2 days at the Expo last week on travel not pertaining to anything Disney.

Be prepared to not see as much as you want to. The crowds are unbelievable and the wait times for the popular pavillions are 3-4 hours long. We had reservations and were able to see the Chinese Pavillion and it is wonderful. We were only able to see about 5 others, most of which, the outside of the buildings were more impressive than the inside.

You will be walking alot! We were only able to see about 1/4 of the whole Expo during that time. The buildings are impressive to see, I bet they were beautiful at night but we were unable to stay until dark to see them.

If you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Well, it's our turn now. We're finishing up packing, and we're off tomorrow night to stay near SFO. After that, an early flight to Vancouver, a long flight to Beijing, and the our adventure begins. We can't wait!

Have a wonderful trip!!

Question for people leaving on July 18, has anyone received their boxes yet?

Mine will go to my travel agent and then come to me (Canadian), so I just want to keep on top of that. Thanks!

My family is on the July 4th trip, and while I'm getting very excited, I'm begining to stress about packing. We're flying Continental so I'd checked baggage restrictions on their website, and I also called ABD about the domestic China flights.

According to both Continental and ABD, a checked bag, a carry on, and a personal item (purse, backpack, etc) are allowed. HOWEVER, for the carryon, Continental limits the weight at 40 lbs, but ABD advises that for domestic flights in China, the max weight is 11 lbs. Yikes! I guess I'm going to need to rethink my package strategies.

Can anyone who has taken this trip previously--or is currently in China--comment?

Thanks!

Abd never weighed carry ons. But you don't want to lug around 40 lbs everyday. It is a lot of walking. Abd didnt care how many checked bags while in country or weight of them. On way home we did have to follow united luggage rules.

ALSO, can anyone who has been on the trip give me some advice?
How much money would you recommend bringing? Also, do we really need separate currency for China AND Hong Kong? I just don't want to have too much money but it sounds like credit cards are not really used there!

Abd never weighed carry ons. But you don't want to lug around 40 lbs everyday. It is a lot of walking. Abd didnt care how many checked bags while in country or weight of them. On way home we did have to follow united luggage rules.

Sorry if I wasn't clear with my original question. I wouldn't lug around a 20 inch rolling bag everyday--we'll use backpacks for cameras and everyday needs. But I would like to have the security of carrying a 20 inch rolling bag onto domestic China flights along with a purse/backpack while my larger bag is checked. Is that doable?

ALSO, can anyone who has been on the trip give me some advice?
How much money would you recommend bringing? Also, do we really need separate currency for China AND Hong Kong? I just don't want to have too much money but it sounds like credit cards are not really used there!
Just arrived home today from our adventure! We brought US$ for our Adventure guide tips only. When we arrived in Beijing we used our ATM card to get RMB, as needed. Yes, there are two different currencies for mainland China and Hong Kong. We used the ATM at Hong Kong Disneyland for HK$.

Have a great time!!

I did exchange American cash a couple of times and found the hotels to be quite easy to work with with no additional fees.
Q...have any problems with jet lag? I haven't been able to get my sleep schedule straight yet. Amazing trip. Super excited to share it with your family. Stanley needs to update his blog :-)

My wife and I went on a vacation/work trip to teach English at the Yanbian University in Yanji China. It was a wonderful way to experience the culture and the people. Plus the food is amazing.

I did exchange American cash a couple of times and found the hotels to be quite easy to work with with no additional fees.
Q...have any problems with jet lag? I haven't been able to get my sleep schedule straight yet. Amazing trip. Super excited to share it with your family. Stanley needs to update his blog :-)

Oh, Kenny! Definately, having troubles adjusting to the 15 hour time difference. Not as hard as when we arrived in China, though! Quincy is wondering when we will see you and your family again....any trips to WDW in your future?

Best!
Laurie

It seems like the cash question is not as difficult as we are anticipating.

Our worry is access to ATMs will be difficult in China. Is that the case?

Right now, we are planning to bring US dollars for the guides and also to bring some RMB with us as cash to spend.

Any feedback reassurances would be appreciated!

As well as tips to adjust to the time difference upon arrival in China! (Should be fun!)

It seems like the cash question is not as difficult as we are anticipating.

Our worry is access to ATMs will be difficult in China. Is that the case?

Right now, we are planning to bring US dollars for the guides and also to bring some RMB with us as cash to spend.

Any feedback reassurances would be appreciated!

As well as tips to adjust to the time difference upon arrival in China! (Should be fun!)
There are plenty of ATM's...in the airport, near the hotels (with the exception of the Hotel of Modern Art), and near most of the shopping areas (including the World Expo).

As for tips on jetlag when you land in China...
1) try to get on China time when you board the plane
2) hopefully you are arriving before the tour begins and can use those days to acclimate
3) if you wake-up around 4-5 am in China, don't go back to sleep. I did and it wasn't until I stopped that my sleep became regular.

I am sure others will give you tips....above all have a great time!

I was very anxious before our trip....worried that it would be SO different from the USA. I was wrong...in almost every city we were in, we could have been in any major metropolitan city in the world, NYC, SF, London, Paris, Rome...be prepared for people that are just like you and me.

Such thoughtful advice! I completely agree. This will be our fourth trip to China and I have always experienced that going there the time difference isn't nearly as difficult an adjustmen as when we return home.

I think the best advice about going to China is to enjoy everything and try new things. Some things are just like home, and some things are very different. It is all interesting.

I am really getting excited. We leave two weeks from today!! :cool1:

We leave 2 weeks from today too! I can't wait!!! I hope it won't be TOO hot!! We are busy reading all we can about China!

1. Bag for daily "adventures" - I'm not normally a backpack kinda girl. Or a purse kinda girl. I do not carry one. Ever. When we are in WDW, I use a fanny pack for essentials only (camera, sunscreen, tickets, credit cards).

For those who have been - what bag did you take/need to take with you on each day's excursions? Just looking for insider tips!

2. Hotel soap - Not high maintence when it comes to toiletries. Did the hotels provide soap/shampoo? Any insights there?

Thanks in advance!

Stacey

1. Bag for daily "adventures" - I'm not normally a backpack kinda girl. Or a purse kinda girl. I do not carry one. Ever. When we are in WDW, I use a fanny pack for essentials only (camera, sunscreen, tickets, credit cards).

For those who have been - what bag did you take/need to take with you on each day's excursions? Just looking for insider tips!

2. Hotel soap - Not high maintence when it comes to toiletries. Did the hotels provide soap/shampoo? Any insights there?

Thanks in advance!

Stacey
Hi Stacey,

Happy to help answer your questions...
1) I brought my handbag with us on our excursions and half of the time I left it on the coach while we were off exploring. Use your fanny pack if that is what you are accustomed to.

2) Regarding toiletries...each hotel provided everything you will ever need....toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, conditioner, nail kits, etc.

Hope that helps!

Laurie

That is such a big, big help!

If I think of any other questions, I'll let you know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter